Slant six flywheel for manual trans

-

omotz

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is the flywheel on a 170 the same as a 225? Thanks in advance!!

Is the flywheel on a 170 the same as a 225? Thanks in advance!!
Maybe. depends on the year of the engines. Up to 1967 both are the same as each other. 68 and later both are the same as each other. but different than the 67 down. Only difference is the size of the center hole

Maybe. depends on the year of the engines. Up to 1967 both are the same as each other. 68 and later both are the same as each other. but different than the 67 down. Only difference is the size of the center hole
Because the crank flange of the 68 and later is larger in diameter than those of the 67 and earlier. The flywheel bolt pattern is the same, but the center flange around which the flywheel sits is smaller on the early cranks, larger on the later. So the later flywheels have a larger center hole than the early ones.

The center hole of the early flywheel can be bored to the later size and bolted to a 68 and later motor. Using the later flywheel with an earlier crank would require a spacer to keep the flywheel centered.

My long-gone 65 Valiant had its original 170 flywheel's opening bored to the later size and I bolted it to a mid-seventies 225 slant six. Found a 64-65 slant six four speed bellhousing, hooked that up to an early 3.09 low gear four speed - fun car!

Since you are local, if you are needing a new flywheel/clutch.

[FOR SALE] - Slant Six 400 HP Ram Clutch/Flywheel/Pressure Plate
So I pulled the engine and transmission from my 63 Dart and have an engine from a 64 that I’ll be using. I don’t know what year the motor is. I’m assuming it’s a 60s era motor. I measured the flange on the back of the crank 1.9625. I drove the 64 before I pulled it apart. Motor is real Pepe but I’m sure nowhere near 400 hp. I want to put a four speed in, but I don’t think that I can use my three speed bill housing, correct me if I’m wrong. I’d like to buy one of the older A-833 transmissions, but I guess they’re kind of rare. From what I’ve been reading the A-833 OD trans has basically same ratios as a 3 speed with overdrive 4th gear, and they don’t shift as quick as the non overdrive trans. Don’t think I need a clutch that beefy but I’m sure I could be wrong. This car will be a rat, driver, as low buck as I can get it but no junk under the hood………car.

IMG_1043.jpeg

IMG_0937.jpeg

IMG_0942.jpeg

So I pulled the engine and transmission from my 63 Dart and have an engine from a 64 that I’ll be using. I don’t know what year the motor is. I’m assuming it’s a 60s era motor. I measured the flange on the back of the crank 1.9625. I drove the 64 before I pulled it apart. Motor is real Pepe but I’m sure nowhere near 400 hp. I want to put a four speed in, but I don’t think that I can use my three speed bill housing, correct me if I’m wrong. I’d like to buy one of the older A-833 transmissions, but I guess they’re kind of rare. From what I’ve been reading the A-833 OD trans has basically same ratios as a 3 speed with overdrive 4th gear, and they don’t shift as quick as the non overdrive trans. Don’t think I need a clutch that beefy but I’m sure I could be wrong. This car will be a rat, driver, as low buck as I can get it but no junk under the hood………car.

View attachment 1716277563

View attachment 1716277564

View attachment 1716277565
You can blow up a parts store clutch with stock HP level. If you end up buying a flywheel and new clutch you’ll be a few hundred even with the stock replacements.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you have both engines, just measure the crank flange diameter to see if they're the same. Check to see if the crank you will be using has been machined for a pilot bushing, or you will either have to machine the pilot hole to the correct diameter, or, get a pilot BEARING that fits in the converter register hole. Both sizes are available once you find out which crank you have. Yes, you need a 4 speed bell housing....one that matches the car, and also the transmission front bearing retainer unless you want to do some machining and clutch linkage work. If you have a clutch rebuilder up there in Sacto, have them build one a bit heavier duty than the stock one....maybe build your old one with more or heavier springs. Don't get too carried away though, or, you'll have to beef up the Z-bar and the rest of the linkage. I'm surprised you find the '64-5 833 transmissions hard to find. I used to have a hard time selling them except to some that just wanted the low gear set in them. When I closed the shop, I think 3-4 of them went over the scales as I couldn't find a buyer. Everyone wanted the slip yoke type.

You can blow up a parts store clutch with stock HP level. If you end up buying a flywheel and new clutch you’ll be a few hundred even with the stock replacements. I also have the 63-66 4 speed bell.
Hopefully, I can use the flywheel that I have. I’m interested in the bell housing.

Since you have both engines, just measure the crank flange diameter to see if they're the same. Check to see if the crank you will be using has been machined for a pilot bushing, or you will either have to machine the pilot hole to the correct diameter, or, get a pilot BEARING that fits in the converter register hole. Both sizes are available once you find out which crank you have. Yes, you need a 4 speed bell housing....one that matches the car, and also the transmission front bearing retainer unless you want to do some machining and clutch linkage work. If you have a clutch rebuilder up there in Sacto, have them build one a bit heavier duty than the stock one....maybe build your old one with more or heavier springs. Don't get too carried away though, or, you'll have to beef up the Z-bar and the rest of the linkage. I'm surprised you find the '64-5 833 transmissions hard to find. I used to have a hard time selling them except to some that just wanted the low gear set in them. When I closed the shop, I think 3-4 of them went over the scales as I couldn't find a buyer. Everyone wanted the slip yoke type.
So the 170 still has the transmission connected to the engine I’ll be taking that apart in the next week and can compare the pilot shaft holes that is. Midnight swinger has a bell housing and won’t be using the Z bar, have to go with a hydraulic clutch of some type headers are in the way. I haven’t really tried to locate a transmission yet so I don’t know if they’re hard to find or not, I just thought they were. Is there a draw back to ball and trunion drive shaft, vers slip yoke? I have the stock shaft from the 63 and the one I got with the 64.

image.jpg

How about a better picture of driveshaft on the left? It looks like a hybrid ball-and-trunion to slip yoke conversion. If so that's a sweet deal. We need to see higher up on the shaft, above what's shown here.

1721271498319.png

straight aces. that's for B&T and already converted to a slip yoke. gold baby, gold.

Here is the bellhousing, and I have the z bar and ball stud, and it will work with the Clifford shortys.

[FOR SALE] - 64-66 Slant Six 4 Speed

Here is the bellhousing, and I have the z bar and ball stud, and it will work with the Clifford shortys.

[FOR SALE] - 64-66 Slant Six 4 Speed Bellhousing
So those are Clifford headers I didn’t think they would clear the Z-bar. I was looking at hydraulic clutch set ups

Geez guys, this isn't a parts wanted thread! :BangHead: :BangHead:

What are we doing wrong? I’m a newbie.
You did nothing wrong. You were just asking questions. The members offering to sell you a bellhousing should know better. Like I said, this isn't a parts wanted thread.

I didn’t realize there was a Parts who wanted thread I’ve seen the parts for sale threads anyway still learning

You did nothing wrong. You were just asking questions. The members offering to sell you a bellhousing should know better. Like I said, this isn't a parts wanted thread.
Can you please tell me how to p.m. I did one yesterday can’t figure out how to do it again thanks

Can you please tell me how to p.m. I did one yesterday can’t figure out how to do it again thanks
Click on the members name below their avatar photo and then "Start Conversation"

There is an exception nobody mentioned in flywheel variations. '60-'61 Valiants and Lancers used a 147 tooth flywheel because they used the 50's style direct drive cast iron starter. You want a 122 tooth flywheel with the center hole (crank register) that fits your engine.

The OP was talking '63 and up parts, but, yeah, I guess he could have an odd ball frankenengine from some past owner.

-
Back