Slant six to small block 340-360 engine won't fit.

-

David D Schnelker

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask - I posted a pic of my problem. The oil pan is hitting the steering cross bar. On a 1970 duster slant six to 360 conversion. I was told this is a LA 360 motor, and I did put a oil filter adapter on it, and it did fit fine. I was told that oil filter adapter wouldn't fit on a magnum motor. There's no stock roller cam and the rocker arms are oiled through the head / not the pushrods. I was told that because this is a 1970 A body, the crossbar did NOT need to be changed. So, is it the oil pan that needs to change? The oil pan sump is at the very back of the engine. Almost flush w/the flex plate. See 2nd pic. It almost looks like if it had a center sump pan it would be ok. But I don't even know if a center sump pan can even work for a small block. Or if they even make them. Do 360's and 318 -340's have different oil pans? I don't even know where to start now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've come too far now, to just take it back to the junk yard. Heh, heh.

20240818_095428.jpg

20240730_150845.jpg

That is a truck pan and mounts. You need to pull the engine and go shopping. Also the 360 pans are on their own . You need a 360 car pan.
Thanks Steve. I didn't notice the mounts.

That is a truck pan and mounts. You need to pull the engine and go shopping. Also the 360 pans are on their own . You need a 360 car pan.
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it bro. And everyone else who confirmed your assessments. The mounts look like they're gonna line up ok. At least I hope so. It's a Transdapt 6 to 340-360 engine mount kit. I matched the pics to the instruction pictures, that came w/kit. But I won't really know until I can set it all the way down. Heh, heh. Now I can't find a 360 oil pan for a 1970 car. It looks like 1972 and up is what's available on-line. And that makes sense about the truck pan. That motor came out of a 1949 international SUV -type truck thing. It had all kinds of weird stuff bolted to it. If you know where i can buy a 360 car pan that fits a 1970 duster - I would be grateful. Grateful many times over! heh,heh.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it bro. And everyone else who confirmed your assessments. The mounts look like they're gonna line up ok. At least I hope so. It's a Transdapt 6 to 340-360 engine mount kit. I matched the pics to the instruction pictures, that came w/kit. But I won't really know until I can set it all the way down. Heh, heh. Now I can't find a 360 oil pan for a 1970 car. It looks like 1972 and up is what's available on-line. And that makes sense about the truck pan. That motor came out of a 1949 international SUV -type truck thing. It had all kinds of weird stuff bolted to it. If you know where i can buy a 360 car pan that fits a 1970 duster - I would be grateful. Grateful many times over! heh,heh.
You won't find a "1970 360 car oil pan" because there were no 360's in '70. Just get a car oil pan AND pick up tube, and you'll be ok.
Jegs, Summit, ebay, they all sell them new or get a used one from here or marketplace or wherever.

Unplated / Raw Steel Mopar 360 Stock Sump Oil Pan 1971-80 (Passenger Car Style) | eBay

Melling 72-S2 Engine Oil Pump Pickup Tube and Screen | eBay

You won't find a "1970 360 car oil pan" because there were no 360's in '70. Just get a car oil pan AND pick up tube, and you'll be ok.
Jegs, Summit, ebay, they all sell them new or get a used one from here or marketplace or wherever.

Unplated / Raw Steel Mopar 360 Stock Sump Oil Pan 1971-80 (Passenger Car Style) | eBay

Thanks to all - so very much. Those links worked perfectly. already ordered them - and barely over $120 for everything. I can get the gasket from my work, cheap. I appreciate all of you so much. I think I have a new chrome dipstick for it. I went to put it on but it was so much shorter than one that was on it, that I thought it was the wrong. Maybe it's ok. LOL Thanks everyone!

Thanks to all - so very much. Those links worked perfectly. already ordered them - and barely over $120 for everything. I can get the gasket from my work, cheap. I appreciate all of you so much. I think I have a new chrome dipstick for it. I went to put it on but it was so much shorter than one that was on it, that I thought it was the wrong. Maybe it's ok. LOL Thanks everyone!
Get a one piece gasket, and you will need to seal the front corners with Black RTV. There is info on this site...

Get a one piece gasket, and you will need to seal the front corners with Black RTV. There is info on this site...
I wish i had gone one piece.. getting the rubber ends to stay in place was a pain in the balls on mine

I wish i had gone one piece.. getting the rubber ends to stay in place was a pain in the balls on mine
You should try to get the timing cover back in place after a chain and gear R&R. In the vehicle. Silicone saved the day. It wasn't pretty but it didn't leak. It was a V6 in a 4wd. Dakota. I didn't want to pull the pan.

They may line up front to back, but I am almost 100% sure Steve is right. I believe those are truck mount brackets. I think you will find they will set the motor too high and crooked.

Well, there actually were 360's in 1970. Dodge came out with them that year in their C-bodies. Chrysler and Plymouth followed the next year.

They may line up front to back, but I am almost 100% sure Steve is right. I believe those are truck mount brackets. I think you will find they will set the motor too high and crooked.
I can only hope they're the right motor mounts. Saw several posts on youtube who used this same kit and had no trouble. This is the kit I got. Says for 6 to 340-360 conversion. Maybe thats' why they look wrong. Thank you very much

20240816_150344.jpg

pass side slant to v8 conversion is truck mount bracket IIRC. Or really close in dimension

Unless he put a V8 K frame in the car, that looks like the correct engine bracket for the slanty K

Last edited:
Well, there actually were 360's in 1970. Dodge came out with them that year in their C-bodies. Chrysler and Plymouth followed the next year.
I guess I've not seen one, but I have not seen it all so ... :)

Last edited:
I guess I've not seen one, but I have not seen it all so ... :)
Yeah, I could fill a warehouse with all the things I don't know. LOL. But yeah, It looks just like that Schumuaker kit, but costs $80 less. That Transdapt kit came with good pics of how both sides should look after installation. I sure hope it works. Thank you to everyone who helped me out so many times on this car. I appreciate all of you very much.

the mount looks to be a correct conversion mount. oil pan is deinatley a truck pan though.

oil pan kit Mancini Racing Center Sump Oil Pan Kit - Raw

depending on the manifolds or headers you use you may or many not need the 90* oil filter adapter.

these are transdapt s6 tp 360 mounts. the pnes you have look correct.
1724055970748.png
1724055986338.png

Last edited:
Yeah wrong oil pan. That's a truck pan. You need a car pan.
It's a truck or van pan. The mounts are the same for a truck or car, but the mounting brackets are different. Also, the 340-360 brackets are different from the other LA motors. I was able to bend my 318 brackets to fit my 340 installation in my van. In a A-Body, I think the truck brackets will set the motor to high.

-
Back