SM Head Modifications on a budget

-
EA, I agree the sharp edge on the OD of that 15* cutter isn’t good.
I’ll be interested to see if there are any gains to come from putting a radius in the corner(clay).

The cutter I use for that relief cut is 20* with a radius on the outer edge.

My .02 on the bulge…….

I’d start out with a milder cut on it, since not everyone will do the tubes.
Test it that way, then go the rest of the way, and retest.

I’m not sure the bulge needs to be “gone” to hit 280-285.

How should we approach the head bolt bulge? Many months ago when I was greener than I am now, I tubed the head bolt bulges and then ground a couple of them down flush with the common wall. I was looking for the brass and stopped grinding when I hit it. As a green DIY'er I did not find the head bolt bulge intimidating at all.

So my question is this. Should I approach this grind as if the head bolt bulge is already tubed? If so, I'm not as nervous. Just check for brass every now and then. Should we assume a DIY'er is going to install tubes?

Let me start out by saying knowing we need as much area as possible at the pinch and short side especially hitting the numbers I am right now. Of course everything is tubed and when I started using the Killer Carbide burs I could remove so much material so fast starting with the pinch I would aggressively port til I saw brass in several areas. With my rotator I like to port mostly to my right side so after I did two I would spin my rotator end for end then do my other two. This gave me max room to attack the head bolt bulge using the same process. Every brass length is cut to size then epoxied in with JBWeld. We last year I had a leaker. It made me feel like crap. If he was local no problem he could drop them off and pick them up or I could drop them off two days later. He’s a distance away so he repaired them. So now I usually try not to hit the tube of maybe one spot. I then seal each pushrod tube up top for insurance and seal anything I hit in the runner with Splashzone and seal it. If you look at this picture all I did was straighten the wall and NOT hit the tube. That would be plenty for this target. The head I talked about above flowed 290cfm with the stock speedmaster 2.02 valve.

IMG_3293.jpeg

I’ll be interested to see if there are any gains to come from putting a radius in the corner(clay).

I even wonder if the vertical wall is good. In the 'what makes sense to me' category, I see a vertical wall better for low lift flow because of less shrouding. The inside radius and tapered chamber wall should help high lift flow. But the bench has a way of changing 'what makes sense to me'.

I finally bought a couple single cut 15 degree cutter after being told to do so by you and my fishing buddy that bought my old flowbench. It took me awhile to properly use it with his coaching. I thank you for the recommendation. Honestly since it’s racing season and other priorities are going on I used it after I hand formed the chamber then just used it to fix the bottom radius and add the 15 degree top cup. I’ll do the second head the same way but for now on I’ll cut the 15 first shaping the chamber and giving me a FULL 15 degree then do my 4 angle cut to meet it. This may sink my valve .010-.015. Thanks again. I still have to do what I do to the chamber above and below the 15 degree cut but it will sure take some labor out of it.

The flat roof chamber doesn’t give much material around the seat to work with(as in basically none).
Fortunately others have already shown it’s not going to keep the head from being capable of exceeding the target numbers.

Let me start out by saying knowing we need as much area as possible at the pinch and short side especially hitting the numbers I am right now. Of course everything is tubed and when I started using the Killer Carbide burs I could remove so much material so fast starting with the pinch I would aggressively port til I saw brass in several areas. With my rotator I like to port mostly to my right side so after I did two I would spin my rotator end for end then do my other two. This gave me max room to attack the head bolt bulge using the same process. Every brass length is cut to size then epoxied in with JBWeld. We last year I had a leaker. It made me feel like crap. If he was local no problem he could drop them off and pick them up or I could drop them off two days later. He’s a distance away so he repaired them. So now I usually try not to hit the tube of maybe one spot. I then seal each pushrod tube up top for insurance and seal anything I hit in the runner with Splashzone and seal it. If you look at this picture all I did was straighten the wall and NOT hit the tube. That would be plenty for this target. The head I talked about above flowed 290cfm with the stock speedmaster 2.02 valve.

View attachment 1716266713
I bought Drill Hog brand drill bits to drill the holes for the 9/16 and 17/32 brass tubing that you recommended in your old thread. One of the two sizes was difficult to get in the hole and I would be concerned about scraping all the epoxy out of the joint when inserting the tube. Is there a way to peen or solder the ends to make sure they cannot come out. In the case of the oiling head bolt tube - if the brass even rotated in the bore it would be disaster. Or does drilling for the oil hole automatically create enough damage to the brass to lock it in place?

I bought Drill Hog brand drill bits to drill the holes for the 9/16 and 17/32 brass tubing that you recommended in your old thread. One of the two sizes was difficult to get in the hole and I would be concerned about scraping all the epoxy out of the joint when inserting the tube. Is there a way to peen or solder the ends to make sure they cannot come out. In the case of the oiling head bolt tube - if the brass even rotated in the bore it would be disaster. Or does drilling for the oil hole automatically create enough damage to the brass to lock it in place?

I bought ball hones from Amazon to hone the bolts holes and pushrod holes. This allows more epoxy to stay on the tube. I’ll take a picture of the ones I bought later (house cleaning day). My head bolt tubes are the same length as the head hole so that tube can’t go anywhere as it’s trapped by the head bolt. I chamfer the bolt holes on the deck surface.

Brian, you have touched on several areas that peak my interest here. I have played around with undercutting the chamber wall. For my feeble attempt I did gain some low lift flow but hurt flow after about 0.350"-0.400". I love the idea of the steep top cut angles and would enjoy a conversation about how to make that work on this head with factory 15 degree top angle. I have played around with it by sinking valves. There are so many other things you have touched on that I would like to discuss. I fully understand there are limitations on time and information sharing. I'm grateful for anything you add.

I'm going to hold off on the chamber modifications until we are finished with our initial steps 1-5. We'll try some more stuff later. I also want to try one final blending of the valve job to the chamber walls, but I will also hold that until the end of steps 1-5.

One question for now. These factory Speedmaster heads have a top cut of 15 degrees. The factory Edelbrock RPM heads that I have are cut with a zero degree top cut. Without sinking the valves or welding the head, is there a way to incorporate a steep top cut angle? This is especially a problem on the chamber wall side (the area you marked in yellow). On the SM head, I had to sink the valve 0.090" to get rid of the factory 15 degree cut in this area.
I don't do anything with the 38 top cut...just leave it 38 and hand shape the chamber wall...I only concave the area nearest the valve OD...then I taper the concave shape both towards the plug side and the opposite side more angled and less concave. The quench side needs attention more than anything. I don't lose any flow up top with this valve job/chamber shape.

I don't do anything with the 38 top cut...just leave it 38 and hand shape the chamber wall...I only concave the area nearest the valve OD...then I taper the concave shape both towards the plug side and the opposite side more angled and less concave. The quench side needs attention more than anything. I don't lose any flow up top with this valve job/chamber shape.
Thanks Brian. I think I understand the approach. I was probably extending the concave cut too far and creating as many problems as were solved.

I thought that this thread was about cylinder head modifications on a budget? I don't see anything done on a budget. I wish that someone on hers would do some port work on a set of heads that the average guy can do with basic tools, such as bowl work, cleaning up the valve seat area. Not everyone has a flow bench and all kinds of cylinder head equipment

I thought that this thread was about cylinder head modifications on a budget? I don't see anything done on a budget. I wish that someone on hers would do some port work on a set of heads that the average guy can do with basic tools, such as bowl work, cleaning up the valve seat area. Not everyone has a flow bench and all kinds of cylinder head equipment

That’s exactly what EarlyA is doing.

Follow what he’s doing and you do NOT need a flow bench.

No expensive tools needed.

Look at post #1 of this thread. It shows the 5 (initial) steps that are being taken to try to unlock 15 cfm or more. Beside those five steps are a list of the tools needed to achieve that step. Only step 1 requires specialty tools and that is clearly stated. We are still following that original plan. The flow bench is used to verify the progress.

Budget can mean many things, these heads will probably be for 475 ish hp engine so budget in those terms.

And PBR is still calling the shots except when I run off and do things on my own. I'm trying to do better. But I'm sure going to listen and engage other ideas.

My bad, sorry guys. Some how I thought that the OP was doing all of his own machine work too.
I am. That part of post #1 is a little misleading. I posted it that way because most people do not have a seat and guide machine and will need to hire it out. Sorry for the confusion.

I am. That part of post #1 is a little misleading. I posted it that way because most people do not have a seat and guide machine and will need to hire it out. Sorry for the confusion.
That's okay. I do appreciate that you are sharing this information with everyone. I'd like to ask you a question, for the street, is a 3 or 5 angle valve job better? I heard about a machine shop that doesn't do 3 angle valve jobs on daily driver as it doesn't matter as the rpm's are not over 5500 rpm's he claims

That's okay. I do appreciate that you are sharing this information with everyone. I'd like to ask you a question, for the street, is a 3 or 5 angle valve job better? I heard about a machine shop that doesn't do 3 angle valve jobs on daily driver as it doesn't matter as the rpm's are not over 5500 rpm's he claims
I can tell you that on the flow bench 3 angles is not enough. The proper valve job will boost flow throughout the flow range. I'll let the guys that run the engines on the dyno and down the track give a better answer.

Ok as promised here are some pictures. I tried the 220 grit first and it was very very slow but would be a nice finish. Then I bought these 120 grit (5/8) which when used with transmission fluid did a nice job. But it could still go quicker so when I looked this up for you I put a 80 grit in my cart. Here’s some pin gauges that you can buy separately to quickly check guide clearance and some clean up buffers.

IMG_3334.jpeg

IMG_3335.jpeg

IMG_3338.jpeg

IMG_3336.jpeg

IMG_3337.jpeg

Ok as promised here are some pictures. I tried the 220 grit first and it was very very slow but would be a nice finish. Then I bought these 120 grit (5/8) which when used with transmission fluid did a nice job. But it could still go quicker so when I looked this up for you I put a 80 grit in my cart. Here’s some pin gauges that you can buy separately to quickly check guide clearance and some clean up buffers.

View attachment 1716267062

View attachment 1716267063

View attachment 1716267064

View attachment 1716267065

View attachment 1716267066
Good stuff. Thanks for the tips. Was Wal-Mart out of stock?

The cardiac kids of TN Vols baseball kept me up too late last night so not much testing this morning. I was able to do the first round of head bolt bulge reduction. After careful consideration of the tools available in the picture, I chose a 1/2" diameter 36 grit cartridge roll for this job. Spent about 5 minutes working the bulge, mostly from the intake side. Working from this side is totally safe - not much can go wrong. After removing about half of the bulge, I flipped the head over and worked the back side of the bulge from the chamber side. Working from this side is a little more tedious because the cartridge roll could easily get into the short side turn and the 1/4" shaft can bang the seat. Pictures of the port are after working the head bolt bulge.

Results as shown. Nice little 2-2.5 cfm gain before flow separation rears its ugly head.

Continue on with full removal of the bulge?

IMG_2781.jpg

IMG_2782.jpg

IMG_2783.jpg

IMG_2787.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

-
Back