So...... Ever seen this happen?

-

A body

SLO-KID
Reaction score
3A24F2A3-E97F-46A0-A572-AC6C8508BDFF_zpss3xpknfc.png

Was in a friends low 11 big block car.....

Did he lose the driveline and cause that?
Otherwise something wasn't right, like no lower bellhousing support struts maybe.

Id bet the ring gear broke, and the resulting inballance broke the bellhousing.

Not the first time I've seen grief with this particular brand:

"This is the 3rd time it broke. The first time the front snout cracked, the second was the splines (17 passes after the freshen up and new front) and now this."

He also noted at the last repair it showed up with the four additional supports added on. Only the four bolt mounting lugs prior to that.

If that is the third time that has happened on a 11 second car he has something wrong causing that problem besides the convertor.

Id bet the ring gear broke, and the resulting inballance broke the bellhousing.

That's what I would say.... If it has been reworked a few times I think the welds have affected the metal of the ring or there is an issue with the metal to begin with. What RPM is that turning?

If that is the third time that has happened on a 11 second car he has something wrong causing that problem besides the convertor.

Read what he said.......its the 3rd problem with the convertor, at least that's how I take it.

I would think low 11's would probably trap around the 6k mark. He said it happened in the traps. PTC converter. He's sending it back and they are going to "fix" it again. Whether he's going to use it is another thing.... New cover and a better ring gear. To be honest I noted in the pict that the vent is plugged so I'm "assuming" they're leaving off the trans brake....... that doesn't look like any of the three converters I have that are built for t-brake duty.

He needs to convert to a conventional Flexplate & convertor. Never seen anything like that. Looks like a bunch of metal welded together to make something that doesn't work!

How does the converter snout/front pump bushing look? Deeper yet: the engine balance setup....

solid mounts and chassis flex or bad drive train alignment will do this every time

Have heard of this happening too. Rubber mounts on the motor and solid mounts on the trans can break the bell housing radially like this.

ran a motor plate and solid mounts on the trans on my 69 barracuda from 1988 to 2012....never cracked a transmission case...

Solid mounts all around cause this exact problem. The chassis flexes.......engine and transmission don't and the weak spot (Bell housing area) cracks. With solid front mounts you MUST run a rubber trans mount.

Hmmm. Maybe I'm just a little slow but it sure looks like the cold weld on the tab from the missing piece broke at the converter and centrifugal force shot the ring section into the case. :tard: Alignment issues can bust the case but they won't cause a ring failure.

You just cant make some people see the obvious. I have seen cases bust due to chassis flex with solid mounts, and none ever broke the ring gear. BUT that ring gear failure will damn sure destroy the bellhousing

He said this happened 3 times. That is what I think is strange. I do not see it being a PTC problem. I have never ran anything but PTC convertors and everybody that I know uses them also. Never a problem.

Better put a blanket on the next one! **** can that convertor design. Get a Coan or a least call them and get there opinion! What a bunch of money down the tubes!

Hmmm. Maybe I'm just a little slow but it sure looks like the cold weld on the tab from the missing piece broke at the converter and centrifugal force shot the ring section into the case. :tard: Alignment issues can bust the case but they won't cause a ring failure.
yup. agreed

Whos converter is that it looks like a piece of ****!!!..3 times and he still has a right foot??

Better put a blanket on the next one! **** can that convertor design. Get a Coan or a least call them and get there opinion! What a bunch of money down the tubes!

In the 90's I bought a cheapo $225.00 GER convertor and ran it for a couple of years and everybody told me to buy a good convertor. I bought a Coan Race convertor that they recommended for $600.00 and my car slowed down over a tenth in the 1/8. I will never buy a Coan convertor again. I wasted that $600.00, should have kept the other junk convertor in it.

Just looking at the way that thing is built,I would,nt have bought 3 of them let alone put it in my car.:wack:

This is the 3rd issue he's had with this converter, not the third time the ring gear came flying off.

It is dead obvious what happened. The weld did not have good penetration in that center bar stock that's GONE, the weld came apart, the ring gear flexed at both broken ends and eventually broke. From the looks of it, it broke on the left side first because it is a very clean break, then the piece of ring gear flung outward hitting the bellhousing and was torn loose from the right side, where it's all jagged as heck. Looks like a cheap POS converter if you ask me. Piss poor welds.

It broke.

-
Back