So much for the Modman....

-
Is anybody surprised a 1405 in the middle of a fabbed intake doesnt work? Would you install a Geo Metro carb on your 408 stroker? 1405's are a mid performance street carb that require a strong vac signal. Didnt all the manifolds and carbs cost as much as a harness and pcm to make it work correctly with FI? Dont get it.

So when Indy reviewed the Modman in hot rod magazine, and did back to back tests with a single AFB, then duals, .then a six pack....and they totally forgot to mention its not a good idea to run an AFB/AVS on their intake even though they did it....

...were they hiding something?

Sometimes in life you assume common decency and honesty will prevail but I got sucked in by their marketing spiel...but figured Id made my bed so I had to lie in it.

Just one thing.....wondering where you were with all this hindsight when I posted 4 years ago asking about which intake to buy......:finga:

why is the XV the expensive trash? I have one because it has the Retro style. I have no issues but I am also not able to compare. Did someone compare the XV with manifold 'xyz' ?

I belive Sharandon Performance did a back to back dyno with the XV vs a factory 5.7 EFI intake.

The XV lost 20ft lbs across the range and only made similar HP at about 6000 rpm.

For what its worth..thats one of the reasons I chose the Modman...it was new on the market and I thought they'd improved on the low rise single planes.

Understand - most single plane carb intakes dont perform too badly in the peak hp stakes...but they lose out badly in the torque battle .

Worth noting thst my best MPH was achieved with a single 800 AVS carb and the Modman.......but the 60 ft was 1.94 (no tyre spin) which is terrible for my combo.

The new OCP dual plane was designed with my experiences in mind - Joe and I had discussions about the isdues I confronted with the MM and his own trials with both the dual quad dual plane Eddy and his Hogan intake.

If I wasnt so far diwn the road with my dual quad set up,,..Id have bought the OCP intake like a shot.

I would be interested to see the OCP with a 1" open spacer....it'd need a scoop...but I reckon it'll fly if my experience is anything to judge .....

So when Indy reviewed the Modman in hot rod magazine, and did back to back tests with a single AFB, then duals, .then a six pack....and they totally forgot to mention its not a good idea to run an AFB/AVS on their intake even though they did it....

Sometimes in life you assume common decency and honesty will prevail but I got sucked in by their marketing spiel...but figured Id made my bed so I had to lie in it.

Just one thing.....wondering where you were with all this hindsight when I posted 4 years ago asking about which intake to buy......:finga:

Interestingly enough, an american car show did a dyno run with a ModMan and a FAST TBI self tuning system. It looked like it made pretty even power with the factory setup, though they didn't make any comments on torque. I thought the graph looked like it had similar peak numbers, but it might have been down on the low rpm side. I think the intake just isn't suited for vacuum reliant systems. Seems to be happier with EFI in one form or another (TBI or port). My ModMan setup with port EFI is a little soft on a dyno, but I'm also running 87 octane and not pushing the envelope. Made around 300 at the wheels for both horsepower and torque. I think the engine is probably capable of 400 at the flywheel with the setup, but I haven't had the conviction to pay for dyno tuning yet.

Well, I was probably building 400-450 HP Magnum engines and installing them in A bodies & Wranglers :D. We did a few 5.7 swaps in them and it was an expensive PITA install so we stuck Magnums for super cheap bomb proof HP. I have been doing High performance FI for last 20 years. I have also tuned more AFB's than I care to remember, along with Q jets and Holleys.

I would not recommend an AFB on anything larger than a 360 with more than 270 cam and less than 375 HP. I would never recommend using AFB on open plenum manifold.
I really cant stand driving a carb anymore, we have a saying in shop, "FI or bog and die...".
I am sure I will catch **** for saying that but to me its like driving with drum brakes.

hotrod and other mags will say anything when company's give them parts to test. Have you ever seen them say "this is crap"? nope...are there tons of crap parts out there? Yep.
They make all their $$$ on advertisers, not subscriptions and for what they charge, if they bashed a product or even disliked it, they wouldnt have any advertisers left after a few bad reviews.
Hopefully, you can get a harness and pcm soon and put that manifold to good use or FI Tech/mega s etc. FI Tech has an MPFI in the works for SBC & SBF but should be easily adapted to Mopar with a bit of ingenuity.

Rat is kicking himself for selling the factory 6.1 intake believe me after all of this. THE BEST intake for these things that also provides hood clearance. MANY of them out there supporting 5-575hp at the wheels. Somebody MUST remake these in plastic PLEASE.

The one thing about factory intakes is that I never cared for the forward throttle body look in an old car. They were never set up to have plumbing run up there and it just makes it look a little out of place. I know it's a minor gripe and largely irrelevant, but it's the one thing about modern engines in old cars that always gets me. You have a nice clean install and then just a huge pipe that just doesn't look like it belongs.

The one thing about factory intakes is that I never cared for the forward throttle body look in an old car. They were never set up to have plumbing run up there and it just makes it look a little out of place. I know it's a minor gripe and largely irrelevant, but it's the one thing about modern engines in old cars that always gets me. You have a nice clean install and then just a huge pipe that just doesn't look like it belongs.

Funny, and I'm not trying to be critical just a different perspective. I never understood why someone would take the time, effort, and money to install a modern engine in a classic car and then turn around and try to make it look old. I find it funny that people spend money to remove Coil on Plugs (what could be more efficient?) and replace it with a bunch of wires. But in the final analysis that is what makes the hobby great, a bunch of guys with their own vision trying to bring it to life.

My goal for my car is to make it look as much like a sleeper as possible. There will be telltale clues as to the cars true purpose, like a mini tub with 12" of meat under the rear wheels. Four wheel disc brakes that will be seen though the slots in the steel wheels. But from the outside, from the stock flat hood, to the factory sterring wheel and factory dash and seats, the car should look like a nicely done LA motored car, nice but nothing to really write home about. Until you lift the hood. Than 500 HP of Hemi is staring at you in the face.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I like the resto mod look, I think an old 340 dual snorkel factory air cleaner looks super cool on a throttle body but I also like the look of a closed air hat intake with tubes to dual K&N style filters....kind of like salt flat cars have. The forward facing TB is kind of hard to hide though...as long as its Mopar its its cool either way.

I like the resto mod look, I think an old 340 dual snorkel factory air cleaner looks super cool on a throttle body but I also like the look of a closed air hat intake with tubes to dual K&N style filters....kind of like salt flat cars have. The forward facing TB is kind of hard to hide though...as long as its Mopar its its cool either way.

like mine? :)

Funny, and I'm not trying to be critical just a different perspective. I never understood why someone would take the time, effort, and money to install a modern engine in a classic car and then turn around and try to make it look old. I find it funny that people spend money to remove Coil on Plugs (what could be more efficient?) and replace it with a bunch of wires. But in the final analysis that is what makes the hobby great, a bunch of guys with their own vision trying to bring it to life.

My goal for my car is to make it look as much like a sleeper as possible. There will be telltale clues as to the cars true purpose, like a mini tub with 12" of meat under the rear wheels. Four wheel disc brakes that will be seen though the slots in the steel wheels. But from the outside, from the stock flat hood, to the factory sterring wheel and factory dash and seats, the car should look like a nicely done LA motored car, nice but nothing to really write home about. Until you lift the hood. Than 500 HP of Hemi is staring at you in the face.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I know what you mean. I didn't actually do mine the way it is intentionally. I still have the COP setup and think it looks just fine (06+ coils so there aren't wires all over the bay like the early ones). I had a carb on it at the start due to cost, so I had a carb intake. When I got my Megasquirt setup the package came with a carb style throttle body, so it all worked out nice and I like the look. If I was doing it over again and still had the factory intake I'd probably keep it, but I had already sold it and I didn't feel like trying to find one.

Regards,

Joe Dokes
The second part answered the first in my mind. Some people want to carry the sleeper aspect beyond the exterior, some want the engine to look like it matches the rest of the car. A forward throttle body and COP don't exactly match the car so well.

My buddy's old car- the cage gives it away. Stock GTX that you couldn't tell's been 9s much less ran in the last decade and a half.

Johnny, thats the XV intake. The design was important to me because it has to pass the officials here every 2 years and looking oldschool helps a lot

Johnny, thats the XV intake. The design was important to me because it has to pass the officials here every 2 years and looking oldschool helps a lot

Thats the one they don't make anymore correct?

Yeah, you have a unique situation don't you? I thought I remember you saying something like the car had to have the same kind of induction system that it had from the factory, regardless of the engine you put in it. So a modern engine still had to have a carb because the car was originally built with one. Or am I just making stuff up now?

no. you are right. actually such an old car has an historical tax Status. i pay approx 240 usd a year. if i go with this modern engine with modern induction the car looses this Status and is a modern car. i would pay ( if withould catalytic converter ) approx 1500 usd. Our laws are saying that the newest part on the car is maximum 10 years younger than the car itself. ( induction would have to be made latest 1982 in this case ).
So now please dont ask how i did it with the engine iteself.... :D

Funny, that's the visual I like best about a late motor. Can't say exactly why, but I think they just look cool.

In fact, I like it so much, I've spent way too much time daydreaming about how to put a similar intake on a Magnum. I wish someone would do up something like the 6.1 intake that would bolt to a set of LA/Magnum heads. But then they would have to follow it up with a custom accessory mount. It's never easy....:banghead:

72BBSwinger - looks like maggot on a iron lung!! J/k! :)

But seriously...for me it came down to aesthetics and knowledge - I knew I would be giving up some ponies.

However, I did not expect to have to re-engineer a product just to get it working half well.

And For what its worth...it was very much low end torque that was the issue...even with a Holley 850 dp bottom end eas soft.

However, the Modman still mph'd better than the Eddy......but maybe not for long....

I will post shortly on my experiments with the Edelbrock dual quad - I believe Ive made a couple of significant advances...but have to get to the track before I can confirm.

I will say this....Spacers are my freind!

-
Back