sold a transmission now having buyer problems

-
People these days are a pain in the rear. If you buy a used car part then you take the chance of it being defective! From this day forward I will always sell things with a bill of sale stating that its ASIS and the risk lies within the buyers hands! whatever happen to the days when people realized that dealing in used cars and parts was a risk. Sometimes you win and sometimes you loose.

I recently sold a fella a 727 transmission that he had a shop install in a dodge camper van,

I sold the transmission for $120, and told the fella it would move forward and back when it was done if not I would give him his money back

shop calls me the next day to say they had the wrong converter (I have many 727's and mixed one up)and in the gallon of fluid they drained out they found about a half of quart of water in the bottom of the pan (was under cover whole time

gave him correct converter and never heard from him for 2 weeks

fast forward to a few days ago I seen a black dodge campervan on the side of the road not far from me with trail of fluid behind it, told the shop to change filter pan gasket and pump seal before installing
transmission

now buddy thinks I owe him $120 back because of the shops stupidity

what do I do? I don't make much money... but I don't like ripping people off...

Seems like they had the pan off so was a new gasket installed?

Did you inspect the tranny when you saw the campervan sitting on the side of the road to see where the fluid was coming from?

You never did answer my question. The reason I asked in the first place is it could have been entirely the shops fault if a line wasn't tightened. I personally would have been inspecting the van when I saw it on the road with a trail of tranny fluid behind it. Either way the tranny was obviously working and it started leaking for what ever reason. Simply put he drove it until it was out of tranny fluid and burnt it up. Tranny fluid would have likely hit the exhaust and had a hoorible smell.

This is exactly why I don't sell things.
yep.....

I run a shop and hate putting in used transmissions because 3/4 of them have problems. And I never, never, NEVER put in a used transmission without a new front pump seal, rear seal and pan filter / gasket. I don't want any issues coming back to haunt.

I think the shop putting in your transmission has a share in the blame, so if it is a leak I put it on their shoulders, or the buyer for not checking seals on a used part. If it doesn't shift, you need to give them their money back.
Buddy owns a trans shop and has a lot of people that ask him to put a wrecking yard trans in, often times so they can just sell the vehicle. His policy is the same as yours in regards to parts. But then it is only covered against leaks. Only thing that is warranted is that it will not leak and it will not fall out of the vehicle. Beyond that, if the trans is bad well you are sol. And he usually will not install a used trans unless he knows you.....

You're not responsible for anything. He needs to confront the transmission shop for not following the proper procedures before installing the transmission. He got a working transmission for $120. You clearly told him what needed to be replaced and that the transmission will move his vehicle.

I paid $75 for a transmission and drove it around with no problems. I had issues with my oiling system leading to turned rod bearings and I removed my engine (left trans in vehicle tied up). I went to the local salvage yard and picked up an engine. I rebuilt it and dropped it back in without thinking about changing the front seal. It leaked immediately along with taking out my front pump bushing. I cannot blame the guy I purchased the transmission from. Once it left out of his possession and it worked as he said, it was a done deal. Anything after that falls back on me.

Why is the shop calling you anyway?
They should be calling the owner of the trans.

Sounds like they might be aquantances.
When I was doing transmissions if a guy brought in a trans with the wrong converter, I would have called HIM not the guy he bought it from.
It wouldn't be my problem to chase down the right converter for him unless he was buying it from ME.

It was a used transmission, no guarantee or paperwork saying this was working or rebuilt. His loss. I try to make everyone happy too and keep the peace too but what if it was a 10,000 used car and he revv'ed it like a jet engine on the way home and popped the motor? would we be even talking about giving him a refund? NO! Anything we buy used wether it be ebay, CL or FABO there is no guarantee. every auto trans I ever bought was gone over or rebuilt before ever touching the vehicle it was intended for. I think that's just common sense.

sold "as is" you are not a transmission shop with a 30 day money back guarantee. it did what you told him it would do. who knows , maybe a trans line came loose and blew fluid everywhere and burned it up.

sold "as is" you are not a transmission shop with a 30 day money back guarantee. it did what you told him it would do. who knows , maybe a trans line came loose and blew fluid everywhere and burned it up.

yep

If you sold it to him, telling him what was wrong with, like your saying you did. Not your fault if it broke, I mean you told him it would if he didn't fix this or that. It's his now I'd say.

-
Back