sold a transmission now having buyer problems

-

66plyValiant

Reaction score
I recently sold a fella a 727 transmission that he had a shop install in a dodge camper van,

I sold the transmission for $120, and told the fella it would move forward and back when it was done if not I would give him his money back

shop calls me the next day to say they had the wrong converter (I have many 727's and mixed one up)and in the gallon of fluid they drained out they found about a half of quart of water in the bottom of the pan (was under cover whole time

gave him correct converter and never heard from him for 2 weeks

fast forward to a few days ago I seen a black dodge campervan on the side of the road not far from me with trail of fluid behind it, told the shop to change filter pan gasket and pump seal before installing
transmission

now buddy thinks I owe him $120 back because of the shops stupidity

what do I do? I don't make much money... but I don't like ripping people off...

I recently sold a fella a 727 transmission that he had a shop install in a dodge camper van,

I sold the transmission for $120, and told the fella it would move forward and back when it was done if not I would give him his money back

shop calls me the next day to say they had the wrong converter (I have many 727's and mixed one up)and in the gallon of fluid they drained out they found about a half of quart of water in the bottom of the pan (was under cover whole time

gave him correct converter and never heard from him for 2 weeks

fast forward to a few days ago I seen a black dodge campervan on the side of the road not far from me with trail of fluid behind it, told the shop to change filter pan gasket and pump seal before installing
transmission

now buddy thinks I owe him $120 back because of the shops stupidity

what do I do? I don't make much money... but I don't like ripping people off...

Seems like they had the pan off so was a new gasket installed?

Did you inspect the tranny when you saw the campervan sitting on the side of the road to see where the fluid was coming from?

I would expect a non-working trans for $120 if I were buying, working at all would be a bonus. I can't say here what I'd tell him :)

If he wants his money back is he planning on giving the tranny back ? I have no problem giving refunds but I dont give them out unless I get what ever it was I sold back.

Is $120 really worth all the hassle your gonna endure....get his old core or the one you sold him and give him his cash back.
Buddy's are worth more than $120...... Just my opinion tho

If he wants his money back is he planning on giving the tranny back ? I have no problem giving refunds but I dont give them out unless I get what ever it was I sold back.

xs2 right there is where i sit as well.

Is $120 really worth all the hassle your gonna endure....get his old core or the one you sold him and give him his cash back.
Buddy's are worth more than $120...... Just my opinion tho

I agree with this

I don't know how anyone can be expected to warrantee a 120 buck transmission. Around here that's called a "core."

Is the person actually a friend of yours, or just some Joe who bought it off craigslist or something?

Your damed if you do or dont, its not worth the hassel, but for 120 he should not be complaining since the tranny does what you said it would. Any body with a brain would have gone threw it first at that price.

Is the person actually a friend of yours, or just some Joe who bought it off craigslist or something?

just some random guy driving by and seen I had a few dodge vehicles, said I had one and he told me the only way he would buy it is if it would work

told him if he had it put in the van would move forward backward and shift

which it did since the shop that installed it is a good 100 miles from where I live and it was on the side of the road near my house

as I said told the buyer to tell the shop to put a new filter and gasket in as well as front pump seal since it was ripped when I sold the transmission

when I seen it on the road the fluid leak was near the front tires indicating the shop didn't change the pump seal

Not sure there is right thing to do. It's a big loss for the buyer and he paid for the trans and installation. So he is really screwed! I think I would see if it blows over, maybe just a lesson learned for the buyer in this case. If not tell him you'll refund the money for the trans. Thats about the best I would do for him.

Ok. In that case I'd tell the guy to pound sand. It was a used transmission that worked as you said it would. I agree with the others in that it was a good core that happened to work. He chose not to rebuild it and that was his gamble.

If it did as you said, the rest is on him, IMO.

yep.....

.............I would refund the money, after all water in a tranny is never good, what good is a tranny that wont make any miles, the guy obviously needed to drive his van.......the shop should not of put the tranny in....I would not knowingly sell anybody a tranny for any price if i didnt believe it would work properly....kim........ u have to look from the buyers prespective also.......he payed to have it put in+atleast $100.00 in parts and fluid........i know, u play the game, u take ur chances........

This is exactly why I don't sell things.
You can't count on anyone to not ruin it and want thier money back.

If they replaced the seals, fluid and filter (At the very least) and it crapped out, then ok.
Otherwise F'm
Unfortunatly, you probably won't get the truth because you know $120 is worth lying over for some people.
The shop put it in, and he drove it away. Done deal.
ANY reputable shop would insist on new seals, pump bushing, fluid and filter or they wouldn't put it in.
And they would certainly NOT put it in if it had water in it.
Not without a complete disclaimer of liability.
A fluid leak after the fact is not your problem.

If the leak is up by the front tires it could be something like a cooler line or Rad/cooler. Offer to look at it for him but explain that it did what you said it would. Once you determine the problem, you can recommend a fix and the remind him that you've already kept up your part of the deal.

Quote: I sold the transmission for $120, and told the fella it would move forward and back when it was done if not I would give him his money back.

Technically it went forward and backward. You lived up to your end of the deal. I run a shop and hate putting in used transmissions because 3/4 of them have problems. And I never, never, NEVER put in a used transmission without a new front pump seal, rear seal and pan filter / gasket. I don't want any issues coming back to haunt.

I think the shop putting in your transmission has a share in the blame, so if it is a leak I put it on their shoulders, or the buyer for not checking seals on a used part. If it doesn't shift, you need to give them their money back.

Unfortunatly all this hinges on "Them" letting the seller check out ANY of the claims himself. (bet they don't)
If the buyer is an honest guy, he will let the seller check it out.

Quote: I sold the transmission for $120, and told the fella it would move forward and back when it was done if not I would give him his money back.

Technically it went forward and backward. You lived up to your end of the deal. I run a shop and hate putting in used transmissions because 3/4 of them have problems. And I never, never, NEVER put in a used transmission without a new front pump seal, rear seal and pan filter / gasket. I don't want any issues coming back to haunt.

I think the shop putting in your transmission has a share in the blame, so if it is a leak I put it on their shoulders, or the buyer for not checking seals on a used part. If it doesn't shift, you need to give them their money back.

I gotta go with 120 being a good core price. It's not that expensive to have it rebuilt. I'ld say the tranny shop screwed the pooch by not going thru it. It is kinda telling that the guy was looking to buy a working trans for a C note. The trans didn't fail expectations, the tranny shop did.

That being said.....
What's peace of mind worth? Maybe split the deal and give the dude 60 back after reminding him of all of the above? Maybe give him the whole thing back to just disappear of the face of your earth? Kinda depends on if the dude is being a jerk about it. You've gone a long way on your word in dealing with this thing.

He took a chance and lost.
I'm sure he was aware of the chance and he still took it.
If you really feel bad give him his money back.
Let him keep the trans unless you need a POS trans laying around.
Tell him I said he's an idiot and beat it.:crybaby:

Kinda makes me wonder why the original tranny was baked in the first place........
If it was leaking lines to the cooler, it's his baby, not yours.
Maybe it's the way he drives it?
You have no control over that, same goes for the installation.
He could be an animal when it comes to spinning the tires, neutral drops, etc!
How do you know for certain how it was driven after you sold it and was installed?
Look, he paid the price for a used tranny, and it moved the van obviously at least 100 miles, at 120 bucks, he got what he paid for.
I bet any wrecking yard on this planet would tell him to pound sand, and that's what i would do too in this circumstance.

Years ago, i sold a good 318 to a guy and he installed it in his Aspen, i knew it was good because i drove the car for 6 months over the winter, it was just a rusty p.o.s.
so i parted it out.
Three months later, he wanted his money back, said the engine was bad because he threw a rod out the side of the block.
He always revved the thing to the moon and drove the crap out of it, i seen him doing it!
I told him to pound sand, and he never got a refund. There was some hard feelings over this for a few years, and he wrecked 2 more engines before he smashed the car up.
Bottom line is:
He came to you, he took a gamble, and the tranny that you sold him obviously did what you said it would.
You didn't lie about anything.
Tell him to pound sand........

-
Back