"Something in the Orange"

-

like_A_pike

that's not factory
Reaction score
I have resisted this forum for a dozen years because I really am not restoring a car. I just like to work on it and drive it. Ironically, I have kept a notebook on everything that I had to do just to keep it on the road and it reads a lot like many of the projects in here. So after twelve years, 3 overhauls, and moving across country with it ,TWICE, I'm thinking about reverse engineering, not a car, but a build thread, based on my notebook and posts on A bodies that I used or started along the way to figure out what I needed to do. Add that to where life has taken me and this car and then keep the thread up going forward.
I don't think many approach the hobby like I do. I am not above taking shortcuts and I don't do everything "right" but the car has been registered, inspected, and insured in 3 states since 2011. I have attempted to replace trim pieces back on in their original locations and I have resisted making it a race car. At this point it could potentially be restored or raced and maybe one of my kids decides which way that'll be someday. It turns heads everywhere it's been out on the streets, but it barely squeaks under the 13 second mark at the track and gets the cold shoulder at car shows (but I still like taking it to both anyway). I consider myself and the car more of a diplomat for the hobby for folks that don't get to experience old iron in it's natural habitat rather than a racer or a restorer of museum pieces. Maybe someone will find the thread helpful or at least interesting....

Here is where it began, a base model 1968 Plymouth Barracuda a man had been stripping parts from for two other Barracuda builds he had going. Then he attempted to paint up what was left and offload the hulk. It's been orange for as long as I've known it. The fender tag and build documents all missing.

cover-image
bettyb4ii-jpg.1715086670
bettyb4xiv-jpg.1715086671

Back in 2010.

Cool idea! Let’s see some more! I too am not a purist and build mine to drive/race. My design and fabrication is often dictated by what I have laying around to fabricate said piece out of. I also take mine to car shows and let kids sit in it take pix etc. Just to show folks the “other” side of the hobby. Good on ya and thanks for the new thread.

the cold shoulder at car shows
Nothing better. I've been down the show pony road. Not anymore. Do what I want to my car(s) and have fun !!
This car should have a Hemi. Didn't this car come with a hood pad ? Aren't these bolts to be painted ? Crap like that is the most annoying thing at car shows. I'll be watching !

Not all restorations are the same. I'm glad you are posting this!

Cley
Same here. I build them the way I want to. I take it to the local show and shine once in a while. I like building them as much as I like driving them.

Build what makes you happy.

In for more pics, I like Orange cars.

GTS01.jpg

Last edited:
Makes no difference the philosophy behind it. We all just like cars, regardless of the thought process.

I love the idea of this thread.

You don't need to apologize for your car because it may not fit someone else's idea of what it should be. Especially when almost no one would have taken it on as a stripped out parts car.

I noticed that if you are not logged into your A-bodies account, the photos that I lift from older posts do not open up. If you are on a mobile device and not on wifi you may just see blank space where I put the images. Log on if you are experiencing this.

I may try to find originals but that could be difficult beyond 5 years. Attached are originals uploaded just now to see if the performance is different...

BettyB4viii.jpg

BettyB4vii.jpg

BettyB4vi.jpg

Your car doesn't have to be a restoration, some of us build our cars to our taste. My car was a 340 4 speed car when it came off the line. Someone in it's infancy turned it into a race car as I bought it. When I took possession, it was just a painted unfinished roller. Now it's a 2500 LB bracket car, I enjoy it as it was meant to be. In the past, I've owned restored cars, restored a few on my own and even parted a few out because they weren't worth trying to build in my mind. Build your car, drive your car and most of all, enjoy the fruits of your labor.

BettyB4xi.jpg

BettyB4xii.jpg

BettyB4xv.jpg

A sure grip, tubular upper control arms from RMS, disk brakes up front, frame connectors installed, a nicely remanufactured 904 and a not so nicely refreshed 360 showed up about this time.

BettyB4xiii.jpg

The original maroon interior went into another build and was replaced with black parts from the other cars. Aftermarket race style seats and a nice black
original black back seat was used. The instrument panel was fabricated with ii equus gauges and the door pads were also fabricated. Body panels all reinforced
with "VibStop" and wired for a serious acoustic system Black carpet over a plywood hinged panel cut to accept a bunch of subwoofers. .....
The windows received a very dark tint and a set of American Racing wheels added. The trunk trim, taillights, and headlight bezels, and hood inserts were the lesser
remnants from the sum of the 3 cars.

BettyB4xvi.jpg

I love the stance also!!! and the wheel!
I say, get em on the road and drive em. Make them as nice as YOU want.
IF my wife would stop following behind me when I am trying to do ALL that body work to make it just presentable, MISS Perfction is driving me NUTS!!!! :rofl:
:steering: :poke:

I thought I had some pictures and some specs on that 360. I'll keep this post No. 21 open to edit if I find it in the near future.....

1976 w/ 8007 Weiand "Action Plus" intake seemed to have a lot of cam and always lean. pertronix ignition KB pistons

Last edited:
IMG_4176.JPG

I just drove it at this point! This is the Tacoma Narrows Bridge heading into Gig Harbor. I lived in Forks Washington at the time and mostly drove it between Port Townsend, Clearwater, and Neah Bay. Not a lot of options for cruising around on the west end....
April 2011, I joined A-bodies at that point cuz all was not well in paradise. The orange car had some BUGS!

The end of May I had a short list of items that needed to get straightened out:

1. procured a spare wheel and tire from West End Auto and a basic jack for the road
2. tighten several electrical connections
3. replace radiator cap and added an overflow
4. replace the door and trunk locks
5. procured a correct rearview mirror
6. adjusted the quarter panels and hood
7. installed lock nuts on hood springs (hood springs were temporarily held on with a short section of fuel line)
8. adjust throttle linkage
9. adjust choke
10. tighten both headlight bezels and front valance

I must have put on nearly 500 miles before noticing that the worm-shaft roll pin was never replaced on the lower coupling on the steering shaft! Yikes

Issues I learned about but did not fix right away:

Gas tank actually was empty when the gauge read a quarter tank
Speedometer read 1.2mph for every 1mph "speed over ground"
A lot of air was blowing by the heater unit under the dash
Lower control arms were resting on the bumpers and the front right strut was bent
Rear springs appeared to be originals

... it was a challenge to get the exhaust system over speed bumps

Last edited:
I gotta say that from the day that I joined, I've always liked the color of your Cuda in your avatar. I'm similar in regards to drive it,enjoy it and fix it as I go . I'm enjoying reading about your journey . :thumbsup: Happy Moparing!

-
Back