Steve's 70 Gen III Hemi Build

-
Next step is going to be installing new steering column, linkage. Then I will start the planning for the HVAC setup. I will update later..

Been a while since I updated you all on my project. I have been working on it here and there nothing to major. I got my hydroboost brake system figured out. I had to get a mount made from a local machine shop since the company I was going to purchase one from shut down. I got the booster, master cylinder and reservoir all mounted and only thing left to do is run all the lines.

IMG_6096.JPG

IMG_6351.JPG

IMG_6352.JPG

IMG_6376.JPG

IMG_6379.JPG

IMG_6497.JPG

IMG_6631.JPG

IMG_6978.JPG

Air conditioning was fun. I wanted to run my lines so that they didnt drape all over the motor. Didnt have room to run behind or in front of engine. So I decided to map out the AC lines using as much metal line as I could. In the end turned out looking pretty good and wasnt to aggravating of a job lol.
Here are some pictures of the mocking up of how I wanted to run lines. I wanted to used the factory heater pipes and decided to use the factory heater hose holes in firewall to start.

IMG_6585.JPG

IMG_6688.JPG

IMG_6758.JPG

IMG_6757.JPG

IMG_6805.JPG

IMG_6855.JPG

IMG_7071.JPG

IMG_7072.JPG

Been a while since I updated you all on my project. I have been working on it here and there nothing to major. I got my hydroboost brake system figured out. I had to get a mount made from a local machine shop since the company I was going to purchase one from shut down. I got the booster, master cylinder and reservoir all mounted and only thing left to do is run all the lines.

View attachment 1715363165

View attachment 1715363166

View attachment 1715363167

View attachment 1715363168

View attachment 1715363169

View attachment 1715363170

View attachment 1715363171

View attachment 1715363172
i love your whole approach and your pictures are super. I too went with a HDK front end. Zero regrets and simply don't have the words to describe how thrilled I was with it and Denny. Anyway I also went Holley EFI and have a FAST throttle body. I have what looks to be same one you are utilizing 87mm? Have you found a CAI that fits it yet? If so from where?

I was able to run my lines the way I wanted after some tweeking of course. But it turned out nice and I am happy with it. I have been chipping away step by step to finish up all the underhood stuff.

IMG_7346.jpg

IMG_7347.jpg

IMG_7348.jpg

i love your whole approach and your pictures are super. I too went with a HDK front end. Zero regrets and simply don't have the words to describe how thrilled I was with it and Denny. Anyway I also went Holley EFI and have a FAST throttle body. I have what looks to be same one you are utilizing 87mm? Have you found a CAI that fits it yet? If so from where?
Are you asking about throttle cable? If so nothing "made for it" the bracket that comes with it exits the front which is stupid in my opinion. They should have flipped the throttle piece over so that the throttle would roll correctly to make the cable pull behind. I am gonna try lokar cable and pedal. I was gonna by the 36inch cable and the 48inch replacement cable and see if it can make it work pulling from the front. I think it will curve enough to go under my air intake and run the fuel rail back to the pedal. I may have to fab a bracket to mount to fuel rail bolt somehow. Will see.
If your question isnt about the cable. Then I dont know what CAI stands for sorry.

Are you asking about throttle cable? If so nothing "made for it" the bracket that comes with it exits the front which is stupid in my opinion. They should have flipped the throttle piece over so that the throttle would roll correctly to make the cable pull behind. I am gonna try lokar cable and pedal. I was gonna by the 36inch cable and the 48inch replacement cable and see if it can make it work pulling from the front. I think it will curve enough to go under my air intake and run the fuel rail back to the pedal. I may have to fab a bracket to mount to fuel rail bolt somehow. Will see.
If your question isnt about the cable. Then I dont know what CAI stands for sorry.
No worries and agreed on cable position. CAI is cold air intake! I had one all mocked up mitered and tack welded for the factory CAI then switched to the 87mm and the inlet diameter is dramatic difference. I have no issues at all welding thin aluminum but figured why fabricate yet another one if somebody makes one to fit.

Next couple things I worked on after that was a power steering cooler and coolant overflow tank.
I had a left over bracket from the oil cooler I used and just so happens it fit the power steering cooler perfect. I put some nutserts in the front radiator support bar and it worked out perfect.
I wanted to do something different on the overflow tank and perhaps it was a little overboard. But it was cheap and easy and why not. Instead of rubber hose across top of radiator I bent a metal line with AN fittings. lol

IMG_6663.JPG

IMG_6664.JPG

IMG_6665.JPG

IMG_6975.JPG

IMG_6977.JPG

IMG_7013.JPG

Next couple things I worked on after that was a power steering cooler and coolant overflow tank.
I had a left over bracket from the oil cooler I used and just so happens it fit the power steering cooler perfect. I put some nutserts in the front radiator support bar and it worked out perfect.
I wanted to do something different on the overflow tank and perhaps it was a little overboard. But it was cheap and easy and why not. Instead of rubber hose across top of radiator I bent a metal line with AN fittings. lol

View attachment 1715363193

View attachment 1715363194

View attachment 1715363195

View attachment 1715363196

View attachment 1715363197

View attachment 1715363198
Is your cold air intake from FAST?

No worries and agreed on cable position. CAI is cold air intake! I had one all mocked up mitered and tack welded for the factory CAI then switched to the 87mm and the inlet diameter is dramatic difference. I have no issues at all welding thin aluminum but figured why fabricate yet another one if somebody makes one to fit.
wow I feel like an idiot haha.
No I have been toying around with making me just a standard 90 over to fendwell and making a box to kinda isolate the cold air coming in from radiator support. But I havent figured that one out yet. I thought about going in the inner fenderwell and building a box, but thats alot of fab work.
So to answer that one no sure dont.

IMG_6850.JPG

IMG_7003.JPG

IMG_7007.JPG

I finally got around to the steering column. I got the flaming river mopar column for my car. I like that it comes with mopar key for some reason that meant alot to me haha. I had to modify one of the mounting bracket pieces that came on the column it was off a bit and wouldnt bolt up to my factory mounting brace.
Steering linkage working out good and turns nice and smooth.
I think I am gonna get the tuff wheel to go on it.

IMG_6909.JPG

IMG_6910.JPG

IMG_6911.JPG

IMG_6915.JPG

IMG_7085.JPG

Had to change the mounting of the oil cooler at the last moment. I was running lines and wanted to check clearance with front bumper. After putting bumper on and realizing that my lines were gonna be hanging completely out from under bumper I had to back up and rethink the setup. But it worked out in the end.

I got my fuel block mounted and lines run to fuel rails. Only think left there is supply from tank to front.

IMG_7349.jpg

IMG_7348.jpg

IMG_7350.jpg

IMG_7177.JPG

Its coming together slowly. I am soon gonna be working on wiring the car up. Getting closer and closer to the point of taking all back apart and sending off for final body and paint work. I am excited and reluctant at same time haha.
The underhood is starting to look like a real car thou.

IMG_7181.JPG

Working on a couple odds and ends. Found a fix for lower tension springs for my fiberglass hood. Not sure the correct lb shock I need yet but go the placement setup. Might try to figure a way to take some of the wobble out of the hinge thou.

IMG_7413.JPG

IMG_7414.JPG

Got my rough design on bracket for ECU and mounting location. Will play with this some more and see if I can use a factory glove box liner to wrap around it somehow.

IMG_7486.JPG

IMG_7491.JPG

Very Nice Work Steve!
Following along with great interest. Also doing a G3 in and A-Body.
I did the gas struts for my steel hood as well. With the hood attached there is no side to side wobble.
Flipped my struts 180*... Body up and rod down. My strut manufacturer's recommendations.
It helps to keep the rods lubed and the seals will last longer.
upload_2019-9-8_8-25-8.png

Video of these 180 lb. struts on our 69 Barracuda.

Seems like i take 6 months to do anything lol. I been working on car just doing alot and back and forth. I did finally nail down a design for my air box or box in general to try and block off some of the heat. I plan on getting my local HotRod shop to cut it out of aluminum and break it for me, we will see how it looks after that.

IMG_7706.jpg

IMG_7707.jpg

IMG_7708.jpg

Got my new throttle pedal and cable hooked up. Dont like the FAST throttle body hookup for LS style linkage cause it comes in the front, but it works.

IMG_7635.JPG

IMG_7665.JPG

IMG_7666.JPG

-
Back