Steve's 70 Gen III Hemi Build

-
Steve, Due to the way the car is freshly primed and the HDK parts are in a contrasting
color I may want to use a photo or two on the new HDK website I am working on.

Excellent group of photos.

attachment.php?attachmentid=1714812887&stc=1&d=1430664158.jpg

The rest of 2014 I concentrated on finding someone to store my car without having to continue to pay a yearly storage fee..

I had a old building that was used to store some stuff and in the back they used to smoke meat a long long time ago haha. I decided to try and make use of that building and make my own storage building since I couldnt afford what I wanted (atleast a 40x40 shop with lift and all the equipment needed :cheers:)

So I tore down everything inside, move and burned alot of junk, fixed the walls and had some concrete poured. I then insulated, put up lights, walls and some paint. Finished it off with a new garage door and TADAAA:cheers: My own storage building

Attachments

• garage2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 668
  • garage.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 682
  • garage3.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 693
Its November now and car is nicely at home in my storage building. Time to plan for next phase. I plan on starting with the fitting of the engine, transmission and building crossmember and measuring for driveshaft.

A guy I work with did a nice build on a 5.7 hemi stroker for the engine masters challenge and for an article he was writing so we started talking about ways to build up my 5.7 hemi. He had some spare parts laying around so that was all the more better.

I got a new set of pistons, a camshaft and some valvetrain components, plus a new set of rings to go towards my build. The main piece of my build was a set of eagle heads, so I began trying to find a set of reman eagle heads without having to pony up 5-6 grand for an aftermarket set.

Tranmission combo changed also. Now I am going with a build 518 instead of hogging out my new floor board to fit the big bertha ram transmission in.

So for the next few months I work on finding a set of heads and all the needed components to build my hemi stroker. I order several sets of heads from my local parts stores (the ones that have availability on that head at least) and end up getting several of 1 side cylinder head. I ended up with 3 of one side haha

Attachments

• heqad.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 673
In March I got me a transmission (will have to be built) still no luck on getting the heads I need to work with the displacement and cam profile.

Might have to suffer some power unless I wanna pony up for a set of Thiteks :banghead:

With this post we are up to date.

I will be going ahead with the fitting of the engine and transmission and building crossmember in early July. We shut the shop down for the week of the 4th and that gives me complete access to all the stuff I need to on the car without having to clean up and move the car out of the bay every day.

I plan on getting the drivetrain, crossmember and driveshaft measured and then work other items if time permits. Main focus is to have a motor in the hole by the end of the week :cheers:

After that my buddy at the body shop says I can bring to his personal shop and we can begin fitting the fenders, doors, hood and trunk to get all the body lines and body work done. I like the sounds of that.

Its a shame I save all year to buy parts for 1 week of fun haha:wack:

So I will up date new as info comes available. Still dont have a set of heads yet :banghead:

Well I didnt have any luck coming up with a set of heads. I ended up getting a total of 3 passengerside heads and no driverside ones haha. I decided to just use my 04 head and have them worked best I could and just deal with the loss of power.

Untill a gleam of hope arrived. The guy that I work with that built them stroker hemi for the engine masters challenge and for the magazine articles decided to just sell me his complete engine. So I decided to jerk off his arm on that note. I was able to buy him complete engine that had just been freshened up this year, complete fast injection and ignition system and everything I need to fire it up. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

The engine started life as a 5.7 but is now 407ci with 11.2 to 1 compression. 238/241 @50 with .598 lift camshaft. The engine made 644hp at 6500 rpms and 571lbs at 5500 rpms. It should make for a very fun little Duster project.

If you are interested in how the numbers were achieved and some ideas on how to work on your own engine you can read more here http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/1107phr-gen-iii-hemi-engine/

Attachments

• HemiTime.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 635
  • HemiTime2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 608
Very nice build; I'm also interested in your wheel/tire combination with offset and back spacing.

18x10 Torque Thrust SLs on rear and 17x8s on front. 4.5 back space on rears. Mickey Thompson 28x12s and General 225/50s on front.

Well for this week of the 4th my plan was to get engine and transmission in car and mock up a crossmember. I decided to pull the k-member back out and set everything up on a pallet. Since I have access to a lift I got it all on pallet and just lowered car down to check transmission clearance and make adjustments.

Attachments

• IMG_0350[1].jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_0349[1].jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 514
Once it was positioned in place I just used a couple pieces of threaded rod to help with line up as it was going down.

I decided to go with the A518 transmission so once I cut the old torsion bar mount out of the way I only have to massage the floor board a little in a couple placed and make 1 small cut to open up an area for the overdrive unit. Other than that it fit right up in the floorboard and looked good. Its tight but it fits :cheers:

My crossmember is kind of crude at the moment, I plan on welding the large plate to the frame to help connected the front. I will either weld some nuts on the back of that plate to bolt the crossmember in or put some nutserts in the plate not sure yet. Once its all welded together and smoothed out it will get powdercoated.

The transmission is an empty case just incase some of you are wondering :)

Attachments

• DSC03602.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 519
  • DSC03600.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 472
  • DSC03599.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 518
The motor fit nicely. Better than expected actually. The passengerside is tight but nothing I didnt expect. I will have to come up with a different breather system for the moroso valvecovers the breathers will be in the way. I will prob do some fitting and run over to a catch can of some sorts. Will see what I have room for as I start adding more stuff under the hood.

View attachment DSC03596.jpg

View attachment DSC03597.jpg

View attachment DSC03598.jpg

I actually was expecting the engine install to take alot longer than it did. I had a friend come and help me that day and by lunchtime we had the crossmember tacked in place and was ready for some lunch.

I put my front suspension back together and decided to put my calipers, brake fittings and connectors on so I could measure for hoses.

Worked on getting rear suspension down a bit, wasnt liking the hijacker look :) so I put some 2 inch blocks in the rear and that made a world of difference in look of car. So I hung the old fenders on the car and adjusted the front coil overs to get an idea of how the car will sit and look.

Attachments

• DSC03614.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 498
  • DSC03613.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 471
  • DSC03612.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 510
  • DSC03610.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 480
  • DSC03621.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 495
Now its time to start collecting parts for the next phase of this never ending build.

Good thing is its starting to look like a car again, which only gets me more excited and determined..:cheers:

Wow... Everything is looking real nice, I always look forward to seeing progress updates.

-
Back