Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
So why not just run it on the stand with the externally balanced torque converter bolted to the flex plate without any fluid in it? It won’t hurt the converter to run it dry.

So why not just run it on the stand with the externally balance torque converter bolted to the flex plate without any fluid in it? It won’t hurt the converter to run it dry.
I suggested that. The op thought there was a simple flex plate with a starter ring gear. The video he posted had a manual transmission flywheel on it. He didn't want that.

So why not just run it on the stand with the externally balanced torque converter bolted to the flex plate without any fluid in it? It won’t hurt the converter to run it dry.
That’s was suggested

I suggested that. The op thought there was a simple flex plate with a starter ring gear. The video he posted had a manual transmission flywheel on it. He didn't want that.
The problem I saw with that thread was that people were too busy arguing with each other to take the time to break it down slowly and in detail for the OP. The obvious thing that supports that was that nobody asked to see a pic of the stand so a solution could be determined as to how to get it to mount on it and work properly. Everyone just dove into the details.

The problem I saw with that thread was that people were too busy arguing with each other to take the time to break it down slowly and in detail for the OP. The obvious thing that supports that was that nobody asked to see a pic of the stand so a solution could be determined as to how to get it to mount on it and work properly. Everyone just dove into the details.
Yep, I tried to steer it back to the OP's initial post but it continued to get side tracked with pictures of Ford starter ring gears and the like. It turned into a train wreck. The test stand was a buddies and we never saw a photo. Unless it was a universal design, there's a good chance a Mopar wouldn't fit on there anyway. Not without modifications. I spelled it out quite clearly early in the thread what he needed to make it work. He was confused. "I have a starter, all I need is a flex plate, right?

Yep, I tried to steer it back to the OP's initial post but it continued to get side tracked with pictures of Ford starter ring gears and the like. It turned into a train wreck. The test stand was a buddies and we never saw a photo. Unless it was a universal design, there's a good chance a Mopar wouldn't fit on there anyway. Not without modifications. I spelled it out quite clearly early in the thread what he needed to make it work. He was confused. "I have a starter, all I need is a flex plate, right?
Nobody asked for a photo. It was the first place I would have started, but it was too far gone by the time I saw the thread. I wouldn’t have assumed anything until I saw the test stand.

....another trip back to 1964. Before people thought about extra virgin olive oil and all the rest...

IMG_2154.JPG

IMG_2155.JPG

I've heard good things about the Air bnb's in C.R. Great choice spending the first week in the cloud forest. I lived with a family there for 2 weeks while I went to language school. It gets chilly up there!
If I remember, I used a credit card for hotel bills and car rental, and cash for everything else. Remember there is the departure tax. You know you can pay for everything in dollars, and they will give you change in colones...the two are interchangeable. I got a sheaf of one's from my bank so I'd always have them handy for tips. As for how much cash to bring, I don't know what the prices are like there anymore.

I was amazed at the quality of the Air BnB's verses say the Caribbean Islands. Huge gorgeous houses for reasonable nightly fee. Houses and car rental are paid for already, its just our fun money that we are torn on.. I know most places will take credit card, but I like to pay in cash too. I just dont want to get stuck with a bunch of Colones when Im ready to leave. I never heard of the departure tax, that is new to me. I'm going to have to look that one up. Im really really really looking forward to these 16 days, but its not going to be long enough. LOL

In my mind Rambler will always equal a faded blue early to mid 60s Rambler American which everyone either had at one time or knew someone who had one. We were in the first group. :)
It was modified though.
Mom had seat belts put in.
:rofl:
Dad had a Rambler wagon, without digging out a pic, I think it was a late 60's model

Looks like a whole skillet of comfort right there.

It's really good and should be even better after it sits. Takes me back to those days before anything bad had happened to me yet. Next time I'll use regular elbow macaroni like they would have used back then. I didn't have any.

I was amazed at the quality of the Air BnB's verses say the Caribbean Islands. Huge gorgeous houses for reasonable nightly fee. Houses and car rental are paid for already, its just our fun money that we are torn on.. I know most places will take credit card, but I like to pay in cash too. I just dont want to get stuck with a bunch of Colones when Im ready to leave. I never heard of the departure tax, that is new to me. I'm going to have to look that one up. Im really really really looking forward to these 16 days, but its not going to be long enough. LOL

Don't bring 100's, at least not many...too hard for them to break and you will end up with more colones than you'll want to deal with. The colones you do get back in change, you just spend them as you go, my Dad made me learn to do figures in my head so it was fun to me.

Im really really really looking forward to these 16 days, but its not going to be long enough. LOL

Ramie, keep this in the back of your mind, just in case....
If you really aren't ready to leave, ask a savvy ex-pat wherever you are if he knows a cool doctor who will write you an excuse saying you have a sinus infection and shouldn't fly for the next week. I did that one time, he even gave me prescriptions...I gave the documentation to my HR department and it worked like a charm. $20 cash was all I had to give the doctor.

If you really aren't ready to leave, ask a savvy ex-pat wherever you are if he knows a cool doctor who will write you an excuse saying you have a sinus infection and shouldn't fly for the next week. I did that one time, he even gave me prescriptions...I gave the documentation to my HR department and it worked like a charm. $20 cash was all I had to give the doctor.

Hahahahaha, that is awesome! Good suggestion, I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

I looked up that departure tax and its $29. Well low and behold we have already paid it with our airline ticket. We also paid an arrival tax... Kinda crazy, but we are printing off the break down of our flight cost, because what we've been reading they say they try to scam you on paying it even though you already did.

We both had head colds the day we left vegas. It was horribly painful..
Good to know!

Hahahahaha, that is awesome! Good suggestion, I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

I looked up that departure tax and its $29. Well low and behold we have already paid it with our airline ticket. We also paid an arrival tax... Kinda crazy, but we are printing off the break down of our flight cost, because what we've been reading they say they try to scam you on paying it even though you already did.

Good idea to be able to produce the proof that you paid it. I am inclined to believe that honesty still prevails in most places you go, and the situations like taxicabs and airports and sketchy areas are where you will watch out.

We both had head colds the day we left vegas. It was horribly painful..
Good to know!
I flew with a sinus infection a couple times.. It wasnt until the landing that I was in severe pain. Now I bring Afrin with to help clear my sinus's. So far it works well, as long as I start taking it a day before I leave.

OK one last thing then I'll stop lol...the packaged snacks there are so good...you know like chips, somehow they are more substantial than what we have in the USA and so tasty...the cookies too! My roommate begged me to bring home as much as I could especially the orange wafers!

If you are walking around a small town and you see a big iron kettle with pork frying in it...get it!!!

Also you probably know this from your travels, but drink the local booze, it's so much cheaper and very good. Rum for example. They have some stuff called Golden Cream that is like Bailey's but made with coffee and if you mix it with evaporated milk you won't believe how good it is!!

OK one last thing then I'll stop lol...the packaged snacks there are so good...you know like chips, somehow they are more substantial than what we have in the USA and so tasty...the cookies too! My roommate begged me to bring home as much as I could especially the orange wafers!

If you are walking around a small town and you see a big iron kettle with pork frying in it...get it!!!

Also you probably know this from your travels, but drink the local booze, it's so much cheaper and very good. Rum for example. They have some stuff called Golden Cream that is like Bailey's but made with coffee and if you mix it with evaporated milk you won't believe how good it is!!

So your saying they are cooking pork rinds? My wife is on a super strict diet, but she can eat those and I also told her about the other food as well, you know for her to remind me to eat it.

Dave, thanks so much for all your tips. This is really our first time visiting a place for an extended period of time unlike a cruise ship. We are really excited for all the adventures we have coming up, and all the tips your giving us help!

You are going to have a blast. Be prepared to go with the flow, it is a slower pace and unexpected things happen but it's an adventure! You are lucky it is not the rainy season so there won't be washed-out roads and the power going out all the time!

-
Back