Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
What the temperature Mike. If it feels warm, cut it back to 2 amps. If its an AGM, they especially don't like extended high charge rates.
Just standard lead acid. Under the back seat. I have a smart charger that charges slow then increases the rate then tapers down so it doesn't boil.

Some local food for ya all. Smoked pork & onions. Now dats some grinds. Haha

15489899320384272314985138116159.jpg

Jumped it and got it running. Running rough and "service throttle" light flashing and "reduced engine power" It ran like dog **** but I made it home. Hooked the charger up. 32% charge. I put it on 10a. And I will check it in a hour. I might 2a. trickle charge it overnight and test it tomorrow. I just had new plugs and wires and the throttle bore cleaned. I'll see what happens tomorrow.
Voltage was below 10 when it started. Went into limp mode. I would disconnect neg cable then charge.
Ever consider a solar panel?
Remote starter would give car an extra 10 minutes runtime.

My mom drives less than a mile once a week. It takes a toll on the battery.
She now backs it out of garage and goes in the house for 10 minutes to let it warm up. Year round.
Has since solved the dead battery every 3 months.
I’m talking $100 in gas for the year.

Just standard lead acid. Under the back seat. I have a smart charger that charges slow then increases the rate then tapers down so it doesn't boil.
You mean you have one of them new fangled Heyer's with Thermostatic Control?:poke:
upload_2019-1-31_22-5-14.png

Seriously. A decent modern smart charger should do the trick.
I thought you had one where you manually select a charge rate.

Voltage was below 10 when it started. Went into limp mode. I would disconnect neg cable then charge.
Remote starter would give car an extra 10 minutes runtime.

My mom drives less than a mile once a week. It takes a toll on the battery.
She now backs it out of garage and goes in the house for 10 minutes to let it warm up. Year round.
Has since solved the dead battery every 3 months.
I’m talking $100 in gas for the year.
Ya the wife uses the remote all the time. We live 5 min drive to city hall. If she goes to lunch it is usually just a few blocks away. I remember working at the Buick dealer. The first day of a cold snap we were dead. The second day a few crs towed in. The third day all Hell broke loose. Same story, Worked great until today. LOL You know the drill.

Way worse back then with the feedback carburetors and the failed primary and secondary choke pull off's. Some 231 V6's came in with the crank out. Too many days in a row with gas in the oil. Those were the days. I kept a itemized estimate in my service desk for 231 short block replacements.

Customer wanted both batterues replaced in his sooper doodie.
I load tested them both and knew right away they were surface charged.
They were both over 5 years old so it was time.
I sent em in for cores, just cant be bothered to try and resurrect batteries any more.

You mean you have one of them new fangled Heyer's with Thermostatic Control?:poke:
View attachment 1715283496

Seriously. A decent modern smart charger should do the trick.
I thought you had one where you manually select a charge rate.
I have a Shumacher 2/10/50 charger with a manual mode. The MAC/Clore is a automatic and tapers down as the battery nears full charge and then maintains that charg over time if you choose. I keep one on my Swinger battery over the winter. It has settings for led acid Gel and SLI. Cool little tool! Solar Pro-Logix Battery Charger PL2520

Looks like a good one Tim. Same principal as mine. One thing about the smart chargers though. They need to read some voltage to work. If you have a stone dead battery with no voltage they will not start. Don't ask me how I know. LOL In fact that's how I got one of my chargers. A customer bought it and I gave him a new one the next week cause this one didn't work. The second one didn't work either. He was trying to charge the absolutely dead winch battery on his race car trailer. After a couple calls to Tech Service we figured out the battery has to have some charge in it for the charger to sense. Duh! It was in the instruction book! :rofl:

Last edited:
BAttery charger 101 here tonight. Interesting conversation. It gets me back into the tool business.

Got one to recommend?
I have a Shumacher 2/10/50 charger with a manual mode. The MAC/Clore is a automatic and tapers down as the battery nears full charge and then maintains that charg over time if you choose. I keep one on my Swinger battery over the winter. It has settings for led acid Gel and SLI. Cool little tool! Solar Pro-Logix Battery Charger PL2520
Does that last one work with a solar panel or is that just the name?

Got one to recommend?

Does that last one work with a solar panel or is that just the name?
Just the name. Solar, Schumacher, and Clore are 3 big names. I believe Tony Schumacher the drag racer is realated to the company.

That looks like a good one as well.
I wanted something more portable than the antique. Something I could carry in the car up into the woods. It's from Optima so I have a reasonable level of confidence its safe to use with the AGMs. Didn't do a lot of shopping around. Now you guys have posted some others, especially that Dewalt, I'm a little jealous.
laugh2-gif.gif

I wanted something more portable than the antique. Somehting I could carry in the car up into the woods. It's from Optima so I have a reasonable level of confidence its safe to use with the AGMs. Didn't do a lot of shopping around. Now you guys have posted some others, especially that Dewalt, I'm a little jealous. View attachment 1715283514
No worries there. Really all the brand name chargers are pretty decent. Most have been engineered or reverse engineered from quality designs.

I wanted something more portable than the antique. Something I could carry in the car up into the woods. It's from Optima so I have a reasonable level of confidence its safe to use with the AGMs. Didn't do a lot of shopping around. Now you guys have posted some others, especially that Dewalt, I'm a little jealous. View attachment 1715283514
It will charge two battery banks at the same time, independent rates of charge.

It was funny. I hooked the cables up when I was at city hall. A police officer came out to help with a jumper pack. A MAC Tools 1700 amp jumper made by Clore. We fiddled with the connections and it fired right up. The Clore brand is the best Jump packs I have sold in 28 years with MAC. I bet I have 10 year old units still working!

It was funny. I hooked the cables up when I was at city hall. A police officer came out to help with a jumper pack. A MAC Tools 1700 amp jumper made by Clore. We fiddled with the connections and it fired right up. The Clore brand is the best Jump packs I have sold in 28 years with MAC. I bet I have 10 year old units still working!
This one?
12/24V 1700-Amp Heavy-Duty Battery Jump Starter

-
Back