Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Local dealer said they can get the filler neck grommet, $57.60 and it’ll take a week to get. Seems a lil in the pricey side but it beats the heck out of leaking fuel and not being able to fill’r up.

It will save you much more than that in leaked fuel over time, not to mention the potential fire that could happen if you don't fix it....

Hey @krazykuda , You're cleaning house over on the bolt torque thread. Well done! Bolt torque discussion

I spent alot of time on the connecting rod multiple... I helped set the parameters and keep the rejects to a reasonable level when they started getting out of control... They paid for the multiple supplier's top guy to come train me on the bolt stretch and determining where and how to set the parameters in the multiples... I also set the main bearing and head bolt multiples up to keep them running smoothly..

I know my **** about tightening fasteners...
wmsmiley-****-hits-the-fan.gif

I spent alot of time on the connecting rod multiple... I helped set the parameters and keep the rejects to a reasonable level when they started getting out of control... They paid for the multiple supplier's top guy to come train me on the bolt stretch and determining where and how to set the parameters in the multiples... I also set the main bearing and head bolt multiples up to keep them running smoothly..

I know my **** about tightening fasteners... View attachment 1715311394
Interesting stuff. There are some smart guys over there but you straightened out the opinions. You DA man!

Sup Craig?
Was looking at Rick's list and then had to make a run to get the kindergartener granddaughter.
Confusion apparently today as to which parent was picking her up after school.
No one at the house so she went to the neighbors. Just like I've always told her to do.
She'll get ice cream tonight!!

Last edited:
Hey @krazykuda , You're cleaning house over on the bolt torque thread. Well done! Bolt torque discussion

When they launched the 97 Dakota, they changed over from english to metric threads for the bumper bolts... I took on the task for changing all the bumper bolts in the Ram to match the same thread as the Dakota bumpers which were done in the same station on the assembly line (they build Rams and Dakotas on the same line one after the other in no particular order)...

Originally the english threads were 7/16" for the smaller diameter ones and 1/2" for the larger diameter ones, requiring two different sockets (11/16" and 3/4") to attach the brackets to the bumper and the bumper assembly to the frame...

When I changed them, now all the bolts and nuts for the front and rear bumpers were all the same and you could assemble and mount the bumper brackets and bumper to the truck with just one 18 mm socket... We had metal brackets on the dual bolt portion and a metal flag on the single bolt portion that would keep the bolt head from spinning and requiring another hand to hold a combination wrench to keep them from spinning when running the nuts down... You could just let the metal tabs keep the bolts from spinning and now the operators could use one hand or both on the hand gun to torque the bumper nuts to 75 ft * lb... any bolt or nut that had over 40 ft *lb of torque required a "torque assist"/support to help control the gun from kicking back when reaching torque...

Not to mention that we made 750,000 Rams per year with about 18 of those fasteners for the bumpers, so we bought literally over to 10 million nuts per year from that supplier plus the volume for the Dakota and were able to get them at the lowest cost for that high of volume... Once you get over 1 million of the nuts or bolts, you get the lowest possible cost (economy of scale)...

So all you need to remove and install the bumpers on the two trucks is one 18 mm socket.... :D :steering: :thumbsup:

Now people that work on them can't say, "what was the engineer thinking when he designed this"??? :realcrazy:
cursin.gif

That was me and I did it to make it easier on everyone, the factory and service people to work on... :thumbsup: :steering: :thankyou:
96575-2a5f141b9fb37c76a5a09df33ead0f8b.gif

Last edited:
Was looking at Rick's list and then had to make a run to get the kindergartener granddaughter.
Confusion apparently today as to which parent was picking her up after school.
No one at the house so she went to the neighbors. Just like I've always told her to do.
She'll get ice cream tonight!!

Can I have some ice cream too????
wowzer.gif

When they launched the 97 Dakota, they changed over from english to metric threads for the bumper bolts... I took on the task for changing all the bumper bolts in the Ram to match the same thread as the bumpers were done in the same station on the assembly line (they build Rams and Dakotas on the same line one after the other in no particular order)...

Originally the english threads were 7/16" for the smaller diameter ones and 1/2" for the larger diameter ones, requiring two different sockets (11/16" and 3/4") to attach the brackets to the bumper and the bumper assembly to the frame...

When I changed them, now all the bolts and nuts for the front and rear bumpers were all the same and you could assemble and mount the bumper brackets and bumper to the truck with just one 18 mm socket... We had metal brackets on the dual bolt portion and a metal flag on the single bolt portion that would keep the bolt head from spinning and requiring another hand to hold a combination wrench to keep them from spinning when running the nuts down... You could just let the metal tabs keep the bolts from spinning and now the operators could use one hand or both on the hand gun to torque the bumper nuts to 75 ft * lb... any bolt or nut that had over 40 ft *lb of torque required a "torque assist"/support to help control the gun from kicking back when reaching torque...

Not to mention that we made 750,000 Rams per year with about 18 of those fasteners for the bumpers, so we bought literally close to 10 million nuts per year from that supplier plus the volume for the Dakota and were able to get them at the lowest cost for that high of volume... Once you get over 1 million of the nuts or bolts, you get the lowest possible cost (economy of scale)...

So all you need to remove and install the bumpers on the two trucks is one 18 mm socket.... :D :steering: :thumbsup:

Now people that work on them cant't say, "what was the engineer thinking when he designed this"??? :realcrazy: View attachment 1715311410

That was me and I did it to make it easier on everyone, the factory and service people to work on... :thumbsup: :steering: :thankyou: View attachment 1715311409
Nice Work Karl......:thumbsup:

Interesting stuff. There are some smart guys over there but you straightened out the opinions. You DA man!

Every time I try to give advice on torquing fasteners, it turns into a pissing match...

Finally a thread where we can get into it and explain it properly... We had the proper forum/opportunity to get deep into it without hijacking someone's thread... The thread was opened by the OP for this purpose, so I ran with it...

It took me more than one post to address what goes into the do's and don'ts of tightening nuts and bolts... There are many aspects that affect that and you have to understand them all to get the full picture...

I took every opportunity to learn about the fine points of nuts and bolts that many people don't care to get into... With my car building background, I wanted to know as much as I can on how to put them together better...

I took advantage of the chance to work with the fastener engineers, fastener suppliers, and machine builders to pick their brains and learn as much as I could from them...

Last edited:
Wheel nuts. Thats the king of misunderstood fasteners.
I keep finding anti-sieze and grease on wheel studs. Dry torque.

Sun is out. Forecast is not great.
Really wish this snow would hurry up and die...

Where the heck is memike. MIA or what? @memike

I haven't been on much during the week as my work and sleep schedule get to be a little much and too much back reading for me to catch up on...

But have noticed I haven't seen him since I've been able to get on in the last day...

Hey @memike are you ok and where are you????

Well so much for off early, couldn’t get the air spray started till 2pm due to fog. Still got an hour or so out here then back to the shop. Been sitting here on the side of the road for 10hrs already! :BangHead:
On a positive note, I’m getting paid to sit here!
:lol:

It was a nice evening so I had the garage door open and started doing a little of the Spring detailing on the SRT. I did nearly nothing to it last year so it was a good time to get started for this year. I did a little initial work on the B pillar covers. Before and after...

0DA6255C-E5D2-4123-AE54-C63ADB3597F4.jpeg

92AFA098-0128-4AB6-8085-5FC26513C334.jpeg

-
Back