Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Im working on a guy that has a portable scissor lift. He hardly uses it.
I may shop around and buy a new one.

I always wanted a center post from the old gas station days. Doubt they even make them any more. Stable, only real drawback I remember was long exhaust pipes to snake into place.
I’ve seen them. But they are expensive

They both have their place.
I dont care for the 2 post,from a safety standpoint, balancing different vehicles can be a challenge. Setup was a pet peeve, crawling around trying to line up the ams in the right places.
Cant fix rockers,or safely strip a car down to the shell without adding supports.

4 post-
Front end work is a ***** on 4 post compared to a 2. Still do-able. Without jack trays or bridge jacks pulling wheels is near impossible.
They take up a lot of space.
4 post needs more maintenance and regular adjustments. Deck is dirty all the time.
Engine bay is 6-7 inches higher, working on a big wheel truck requires a good step in order to reach inside engine bay.
Pulling an engine is more difficult,the legs have to go under the hoist.

I can go on and on about disadvantages with both hoists,but i will use a 4 post before a 2 post any day.
Have been hoisting vehicles on 2 and 4 post for 20 plus years and i just feel safer using a drive on.

I have to agree, had both at my shop. Also had a drive on scissor lift, that was great for front wheel drive clutches, engines and tire/brake jobs. They all serve their purpose, but the 4 post is my first choice. Unfortunately that was then and this is now and floor jacks and jack stands are my only choice!
:lol:

I always wanted a center post from the old gas station days. Doubt they even make them any more. Stable, only real drawback I remember was long exhaust pipes to snake into place.
Forget trying to pull a transmission with one of those.
And air leaks cause them to drop. Scared the **** out of me a few times.
Saw more vehicles dropped off of them than any other hoist.

Ya you are also going to need to dig the pit in the ground to work on them... so when the 2 lifts... wait... 3 fireproof lifts... are busy you still have the pit to change oil in and whatever lol

Worked in a place that had a pit. Man that thing was beat up you can see where all the cars fell in, never saw it personally though.

Forget trying to pull a transmission with one of those.
And air leaks cause them to drop. Scared the **** out of me a few times.
Saw more vehicles dropped off of them than any other hoist.
They refurbished the one in the Gulf station I worked at, yes air leaks suck on them but it had a lock. Seems the feed lines got condensation and rotted out with them.

They refurbished the one in the Gulf station I worked at, yes air leaks suck on them but it had a lock. Seems the feed lines got condensation and rotted out with them.
They also don’t work very well on low cars. Could never get my cousins late 90s z28 has on one. Too low factory

Worked in a place that had a pit. Man that thing was beat up you can see where all the cars fell in, never saw it personally though.
G'morning.
I can only recall seeing two places with a pit instead of lift.
Try to save having those for nostalgia only. :)

Usually nasty greasy spider infested holes in the earth!
With at least a couple inches of water. I did some work in a shop that had a pit. It sucked.
Owner had no use for a 4 post hoist,but the 2 post was fine. And it was old and worn out.

He did switch to a 4 post, most often used now...

Metal roof & asbestos shingles!
Rusty roof, wet basement!

rusty roof.png

Mornin Folks....sounds like all is well out here in coffee land. Have a great day.

-
Back