Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Hey...anyone know if an electrical outlet can go bad after 20 years? I came home to no heat and found the problem is an outlet that the coffee pot was hooked up to. The furnace is on the same circuit. But it has been like this forever. man the outlet is melted. I almost burnt my house down.

All good info given, but this kinda parallels the 'what car you working on?'question.
How old is the wiring. Do you have breakers or fuses? Proper grounds to the outlets (three conductors). GFCI?
Most likely a simple outlet change will solve the problem. If it didnt pop the breaker/fuse there is not likely to be a short. Connections loosen and arc = poof. Still good to verify as much as possible. Safety test for AC voltage on both black and white to ground before working on it.
If you have 'modern' grounded system and no GFI, you may want to upgrade to improve safety. If there are multiple outlets most GFIs will protect regular outlets beyond them in the line. I have run into some old boxes that are too small to fit a GFI, but they do make smaller ones that fit most- still very tight.
Black is 'hot' and always goes to the brass screw. White to silver.

All good info given, but this kinda parallels the 'what car you working on?'question.
How old is the wiring. Do you have breakers or fuses? Proper grounds to the outlets (three conductors). GFCI?
Most likely a simple outlet change will solve the problem. If it didnt pop the breaker/fuse there is not likely to be a short. Connections loosen and arc = poof. Still good to verify as much as possible. Safety test for AC voltage on both black and white to ground before working on it.
If you have 'modern' grounded system and no GFI, you may want to upgrade to improve safety. If there are multiple outlets most GFIs will protect regular outlets beyond them in the line. I have run into some old boxes that are too small to fit a GFI, but they do make smaller ones that fit most- still very tight.
Black is 'hot' and always goes to the brass screw. White to silver.

Looks like we have another good electrician and and a better spelling/typer/writer :cheers: Well said zkx14 well wrote sir :coffee2:

I am back just to crappy out to do anything. Great info Keith!

Yes it was :color: It started snowing here about an hour ago, Looks like it stopped already Ray Sr. I hope you will be as happy as I was to own that nice sheath and machete as I was, the extra little old two things I sent I picked up myself her in Arkansas :color:

IT looks like it is stopping here. I might just try to mow the brush on the field today. That tracking number shows it will be here today, thanks for the extras. Did you get the tank ring yet?

IT looks like it is stopping here. I might just try to mow the brush on the field today. That tracking number , shows it will be here today, thanks for the extras. Did you get the tank ring yet?

Not yet :coffee2: I live in the sticks, it could be here today becouse our mail runs out here on Saturdays, I think my mail man runs his route on Friday and comes out my way on Saturday

DANG MAN!! It is snowing heavy out side bra!! pretty site but I am looking forward to the next few days as it will be in the 60'es and dry :color:

Looks like we have another good electrician and and a better spelling/typer/writer :cheers: Well said zkx14 well wrote sir :coffee2:

Not an electrician by trade. Electronics in high school and 30+ years industrial maintenance. Safety first. Whether its a 480 motor starter or a 120 light switch you gotta respect it. I still call electricians that know more than me frequently for info and 'interpretation' of code requirements...

I sure do feel bad for Keith (66340SEADAN) and Pete (FISHYPETE), I can't fathom or understand how bad it must be to lose my wife... I made Keiths picks in the NASCAR thread for him and won a pole position for him and me ... I know this will be a long time to heal and move forward with life..

Not an electrician by trade. Electronics in high school and 30+ years industrial maintenance. Safety first. Whether its a 480 motor starter or a 120 light switch you gotta respect it. I still call electricians that know more than me frequently for info and 'interpretation' of code requirements...

I worked maintenance and code enforcement for an out patient surgery for 14 years and an electrician for 5 years, I still call my updated friends, I had 270 three f. knock me off an A frame lader and fell on some duck work (Lucky it was there) and blinded me for about 30 min, I was told the breaker was locked off and I pulled wire out of a LB cover and BOOM!!

Yep safety first :color:

Sad Mike. Tough times for those two. I hope to see them at Farmington this year if I can make it. They both need hugs!

Sad Mike. Tough times for those two. I hope to see them at Farmington this year if I can make it. They both need hugs!

Yes they do, I worry about Pete, he is such a great guy like Keith and I hope he has many many friends around them both :glasses7: something tells me they do.. Two great folks for sure :color:

It is sunny out now! Good day to stay in and work on the flood room. I think I will put some pergo in there for the easy way out, and of course change an old sash type window, fix a seam that is showing in the ceiling, paint it and of course fix the broken baseboard! Nothing is ever easy for me.

It is sunny out now! Good day to stay in and work on the flood room. I think I will put some pergo in there for the easy way out, and of course change an old sash type window, fix a seam that is showing in the ceiling, paint it and of course fix the broken baseboard! Nothing is ever easy for me.

And when you're done you can come over and start on mine. I love my old house but every little repair takes all weekend. LOL

What the heck is pergo :coffee2:
Sounds like a full day Ray Sr. :D

I am seriously throwing around having it dismantled to sell the cherry wood logs that are 200 years old and putting up a double wide since the kids are grown!

I am seriously throwing around having it dismantled to sell the cherry wood logs that are 200 years old and putting up a double wide since the kids are grown!

I am glad I sold my old home up the road I raised my two boys in, that old house had 3 sub floors in a couple rooms and I don't miss the crawl space and old water lines I had to keep updating every other year till it was all updated, I am enjoying my 900 square feet home on a concrete slab :color:
If I have company they bring a sleeping bag and sleep in the living room or pitch a tent outside (witch I do myself ) and enjoy :D

Morning swinger. Yes Memi needs to reboot once in a while! LOL I know I do today I just cannot get motivated.

I am glad I sold my old home up the road I raised my two boys in, that old house had 3 sub floors in a couple rooms and I don't miss the crawl space and old water lines I had to keep updating every other year till it was all updated, I am enjoying my 900 square feet home on a concrete slab :color:
If I have company they bring a sleeping bag and sleep in the living room or pitch a tent outside (witch I do myself ) and enjoy :D

I cannot even start to tell you some of the nightmares I have had with this place, but I really enjoy the history of the house. The guy I purchased it from was a general contractor and I swear he did things with used stuff laying around. Plus the house was vacant for almost 10 years before we purchased it. If you still have my addy google it and look at an aerial view and you will see why I like living here so much.

I have my neighbor cutting me some 8x3/4 oak planks for the floor in a small room . i'll have to sand and make the joint notches but it's free.

That should look awesome! Nothing like a real floor. I have always wanted a planer.

-
Back