Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Good Morning All! Had to go work yesterday afternoon because of wind/snow storm on South end of island. 4 hours cause it's almost 1 just to get down there. Wave fiber circuit. Wake up this a.m., snow on the ground and snowing, headed up to the refineries for some testing. Have a Great Day All!

And on a tech note.... the Big 3G shutdown commences today with AT$T turning off the service. Hope nobody is impacted... it'll hit the rural folks as usual.
Thanks for posting.
Where did you see that? I was looking last week if they had mentioned a specific day as my old phone's voice service was still working.

Oh...and almost forgot

Happy Tuesday, 2/22/22

Go get yourself a pair of something :thumbsup:

And on a tech note.... the Big 3G shutdown commences today with AT$T turning off the service. Hope nobody is impacted... it'll hit the rural folks as usual.
Yeah. Gonna be interesting. All we have around here is 3G

Thanks for posting.
Where did you see that? I was looking last week if they had mentioned a specific day as my old phone's voice service was still working.
1440 Digest

3G Shut-off
A number of Americans will lose cellphone service today as AT&T becomes the first major provider to switch off its 3G communications network. The decision—meant to make way for next-generation 5G networks—will render 3G devices incapable of handling calls, texts, or accessing the internet without Wi-Fi available.

It is unclear how many users will be affected. Apple iPhones older than the iPhone 6 will lose function; a 2019 report suggested at least 30 million users still exclusively used 3G devices. The switch may also affect an unknown number of systems ranging from home security to medical devices. T-Mobile will follow suit in July, with Verizon switching its 3G network off Dec. 31.

1440 Digest

3G Shut-off
A number of Americans will lose cellphone service today as AT&T becomes the first major provider to switch off its 3G communications network. The decision—meant to make way for next-generation 5G networks—will render 3G devices incapable of handling calls, texts, or accessing the internet without Wi-Fi available.

It is unclear how many users will be affected. Apple iPhones older than the iPhone 6 will lose function; a 2019 report suggested at least 30 million users still exclusively used 3G devices. The switch may also affect an unknown number of systems ranging from home security to medical devices. T-Mobile will follow suit in July, with Verizon switching its 3G network off Dec. 31.
Thanks!!
I was a little surprise the phone's voice was working fine when I used it.
What the article did not emphasize is the key feature needed. HD Voice = 4G with VoLTE
The Motorola I have is 4G but not equipped with the VoLTE. Apparently it can be hacked in maybe, but I'll be glad to be rid of Google. There's a couple smart phone functions I'll miss but can easily be done with other devices; a tape or mp3 recorder and radio.

Yeah. This is where it's FUBAR. Small rural carriers can't afford to upgrade and if they do they go with Huawei or ZTE components.... Mainline your data to PRC.

But the FCC is going to toss billions at the big 3.
Same reason rural grocery stores are worse off stock wise

Verizon did the same to its copper land line users where ever they could get away with it.
Literally shutoff customers in the city because Verizon 'finished' their fiberoptic system.
The arguement to the state PUC was that there are multiple other options for those people.
OK. yea. if one beleives that a cell phone and plan is anywhere as cheap and reliable and resiliant as a phone line.

Verizon did the same to its copper land line users where ever they could get away with it.
Literally shutoff customers in the city because Verizon 'finished' their fiberoptic system.
The arguement to the state PUC was that there are multiple other options for those people.
OK. yea. if one beleives that a cell phone and plan is anywhere as cheap and reliable and resiliant as a phone line.
I’m going back to Hamm Radio

I’m going back to Hamm Radio
That and CB and you'll be set.

I'll admit that half the time I don't call my neighbors. Just wait until I see them, or walk over and ring the bell to talk in person.

With the cell phone biggest challenge for me was figuring out how to offload and a save the messages and phone log. Not that there is anything on them I think I will ever need.
Contacts and the few recordings were pretty easy to copy.

Exactly. I had twisted copper at former house. Saw the tech at the switch and stopped to chat. He said they were doing just enough to keep the FCC from fining them but intentionally letting the old system decay to get customers to flip to wireless

Here you are optionless on a land line one company has the monopoly, Frontier. Dam every call local was .10 seriously. Went Vonage over the cable works great and cheap. under 25 a month.

Hay!

Grass_hay_by_David_Shankbone.jpg

Here you are optionless on a land lne one company has the monopoly, Frontier. Dam every call local was .10 seriously. Went Vonage over the cable works great and cheap. under 25 a month.

Frontier bought up all the old copper from VZW and ATT... They're the slum-lord of telcos. That's all that is around here as well Spent a hour on the phone with "Customer Service" and they couldn't find my house... (really) ... theres a ring/tip line running to the house and phone jacks on the walls so SOMEBODY provided service at some point. Whatever... Going to put up an exterior cell extender antenna and in-house booster.

-
Back