Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Should the LCA be hanging free of the K?

Take it completely off the car with the torsion bar still attached, then clamp the torsion bar in a vise and pound it with a hand sledge or regular sledge hammer...

You gotta beat it off...
jackoff.gif

Should the LCA be hanging free of the K?

You said that you heated it up until it smoked...
Toke.gif

How about heating it up like that again and pouring ice water on it and let the thermal expansion/contraction try to 'break the seal' loose???

Last edited:
Take it completely off the car with the torsion bar still attached, then clamp the torsion bar in a vise and pound it with a hand sledge or regular sledge hammer...

You gotta beat it off... View attachment 1715887550

OK... knowing full well that this will get comments...

Can I pull the rod forward out of the rear cross member? Didn't think I could.

I don't think it's the camera... this whole side has been FUBAR... K-member break, bent strut rod and this. I'll get a straight edge on the frame as well just to be sure.

Getting a new LCA from RR AL as well.

Other side has been very easy to disassemble.

Probably need to just get new torsion bars and cut this thing out. Do over.

Hmm
I see. Well if getting a new LCA and t-bars, then remove and spend the least time on it as needed.

I don't know about '66 for certain but usually the shop manuals have a frame and body dimensions for checking this sort of thing.
Without out a drive on alignment type lift, what I've done is find a flat location (ha!) and use a plumb bob carefully mark on a large sheet of paper (like painters use to cover the floor) or cardboard. Its a Royal PIA but was worth the peace of mind.

Or clamp a large set of vise grips on the torsion bar with the nut on the pivot stud of the LCA, and pound it back..

You said that you heated it up until it smoked... 1715887559[/ATTACH]

How about heating it up like that again and pouring ice water on it and let the thermal expansion/contraction try to 'break the seal' loose???

Why isn't thermal contraction spelled with an apostrophe???

Don't contractions have an apostrophe???

This is on the left side with the bent strut rod right? I wonder if the pivot pin or t bar could be tweaked and in a bind

Is it too late too bolt it back together and sell the car? :rofl:

Hahah. As my brother tells me... it's all part of the adventure.
Cut the bar in half, replace. I have a good set I will give you for free.....V8 bars...@WV64signet

I'll pick up the freight Tim. PM me
. Or we're you thinking more along the lines of adding them to the trailer for Carlisle?

Hahah. As my brother tells me... it's all part of the adventure.

I'll pick up the freight Tim. PM me
. Or we're you thinking more along the lines of adding them to the trailer for Carlisle?
If you can wait till July I will just bring them to "The Big Show" I could ship them tho... easy to ship in a tube...

-
Back