Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
If you want to go that route, let me know soon. Only a few days till were leaving...

Thanks Tim.

I've set a deadline for this week to pick a course of action

Option 1 - Go to the Ramen diet and get the 273 built

Option 2 - Pull the /6 and figure out what's broke... maybe cheaper repair ... but still have to un-F$!% the transmission

Option 3 - Find a running motor someone is selling which will be a relatively simple swap with current setup

Probably not enough to make any significant impact on the water table, But we had rain 3-4 times in last week. Grass has got some green in it again! But still nearly dormant, while some of the trumpet vine shoots were well over a foot high. I figure the weeds just suck more and more of the water from the grass as they get more leaves. So keep them low and grass has a better chance...
Fun farmer fact, weeds take up (absorb) right at six times the moisture hay (grass) does. Weeds are hogs for water.

Seems I'm going to hit pause for a bit while I sort things out. Have one more shop to call and walk through possible costs and timelines. The two I've spoken with are both about 2 - 3 months out...just whether they want it in the shop to be in line or you set a deposit to bring it in at a later date. End result is I wouldn't have anything back until maybe September or October
I have a running 360 we could probably make a deal on to get you running. I was going to put it in a Jeep but it has sat for two years in my shop. Not sure it will mate to a push button tho? Heheheh. Road trip?

Thanks Tim.

Option 2 - Pull the /6 and figure out what's broke... maybe cheaper repair ... but still have to un-F$!% the transmission

Option 3 - Find a running motor someone is selling which will be a relatively simple swap with current setup
k... just curious.. does the /6 turn over? what exactly is going on? I don't recall reading about it... If the goal is to get the car on the road i would repair the /6 OR hit marketplace/CL and buy another 6.... car could be up in days with almost no money spent and /6's are awesome... for some reason i thought the car was a 273 to start with..

P.S. if it's a pushbutton car, fix/replace the 6... just my 2 cents.. but i'm also stupid :)

Thanks Tim.

1687191700032.png

What's with the deadline?
Also those options don't seem mutually exclusive.
However now that you've written them out, it looks like this to me.
Both the engine and transmission are out of commission.
Therefore no advantage in leaving them them in. Unless these are in-car fixes.
If you come across a known running replacement while you're investigating and fixing - that's a fork in the road.
In the meantime, that fork isn't there to take.

You really want to change engines and trans. Any way you slice it those are longer term projects.

k... just curious.. does the /6 turn over? what exactly is going on? I don't recall reading about it... If the goal is to get the car on the road i would repair the /6 OR hit marketplace/CL and buy another 6.... car could be up in days with almost no money spent and /6's are awesome... for some reason i thought the car was a 273 to start with..

P.S. if it's a pushbutton car, fix/replace the 6... just my 2 cents.. but i'm also stupid :)

No... it actually has a (relatively speaking) built 225 Slant 6 in it. Bored, decked, 4 barrel, headers etc..... something broke during the transmission fiasco (why am I not completely flaming that guy again???). Might be a broken rod... uncomfortable rattle/clanking above idle. Almost no power as I coaxed it home.

View attachment 1716104279

What's with the deadline?
Also those options don't seem mutually exclusive.
However now that you've written them out, it looks like this to me.
Both the engine and transmission are out of commission.
Therefore no advantage in leaving them them in. Unless these are in-car fixes.
If you come across a known running replacement while you're investigating and fixing - that's a fork in the road.
In the meantime, that fork isn't there to take.

You really want to change engines and trans. Any way you slice it those are longer term projects.

Thanks Mat. Here's a nickel :thumbsup:

I would just like to drive the car. Shortest path to a cost-effective and reliable solution.

No... it actually has a (relatively speaking) built 225 Slant 6 in it. Bored, decked, 4 barrel, headers etc..... something broke during the transmission fiasco (why am I not completely flaming that guy again???). Might be a broken rod... uncomfortable rattle/clanking above idle. Almost no power as I coaxed it home.
Ah k... so... heres what i would do in your situation.... pull the 6, open it up and see what broke, it might be something absolutely stupid or not... you can still buy used 6's super cheap and if a 6turns over i would put money on it running... no idea on the trans (sorry my memory is ****) but first order would be to find out what's wrong with the current 6.

also, if the 6 is trash make sure then sell off that intake/header and **** to offset whatever you do do, those parts bring a decent buck :)

BTW.. if you want a car thats just a cruiser and fun to drive and you never have to worry bout ****, a slant6 is the king... sound like a sewing machine enjoying life :)

here.. $100 slant 6....

if it turns over, clean/gasket and paint.. be up and running for under 500 easy.

Thanks Tim.

need to check your local pull a part, usually get 318s for 200 bucks out of wrecks that run

need to check your local pull a part, usually get 318s for 200 bucks out of wrecks that run
Plus they made slants to like 1998 or something silly... i love slants soo much :) Spent a lot of my teenage years in d100's with slants..

If I had go do mine all over again, this is what I’d done.
BTW.. if you want a car thats just a cruiser and fun to drive and you never have to worry bout ****, a slant6 is the king... sound like a sewing machine enjoying life :)

Thanks Tim.

I'm sure I mentioned it before, but don't recall response. Is there a difference between yours and a '74? (last year for 'drool tubes') Or could you use any slant?

Aw shucks, but I thinks its just 2 cents.
Unless something in the 6 needs to go to a shop, shortest path is probably the six.
For the nickel I'd say it will be less fwustrating and more rewarding to be investigating. If you make a leak down setup, its will always be handy.

Failed rod bearing it would be knocking like a bad water pump but shaking the engine a bit more. At least mine was. Power wasn't that down.
Maybe one or more valves isn't sealing.
seems worth investigating regardless.

Mike. Is that why your scrapping rather than selling it?
Rusty body, Rusty frame that was half assed patched. Needs brakes, possible wheel bearings, and a possible power steering rack.

Aw shucks, but I thinks its just 2 cents.
Unless something in the 6 needs to go to a shop, shortest path is probably the six.
For the nickel I'd say it will be less fwustrating and more rewarding to be investigating. If you make a leak down setup, its will always be handy.

Failed rod bearing it would be knocking like a bad water pump but shaking the engine a bit more. At least mine was. Power wasn't that down.
Maybe one or more valves isn't sealing.
seems worth investigating regardless.
I had a friend kill 2 slant 6's which i thought was impossible... but ran them both out of oil.. funny thing is, not a sound til a rod came out the block..

I'm sure I mentioned it before, but don't recall response. Is there a difference between yours and a '74? (last year for 'drool tubes') Or could you use any slant?

The block that is in there now is an 81 casting.

I think I need to get it out of there and assess. Have to read up on how to modify the engine stand to hold it I think :)

I had a friend kill 2 slant 6's which i thought was impossible... but ran them both out of oil.. funny thing is, not a sound til a rod came out the block..

No block penetration, no oil dump. It just sounded like Fred's dryer getting push-started down a cement staircase

I think I need to get it out of there and assess. Have to read up on how to modify the engine stand to hold it I think :)
Should be fine on a decent H stand

when i was 16 we didn't have stands... you have a garage floor? get to it like a kid :) Heres the thing.. my very first car was a /6 '67 coronet (in 1986) it wouldn't run.. guy said the motor was shot and gave me the car.. i put in a $11 timing chain (could buy them without the gears back then) and drove the piss out of it til the cops took it away :(

First course of action is investigate what you have.. might be something stupid and easy

-
Back