Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Well it is almost 10 oclock here on the hill, just downed a 160z orange juice with my banana (Monkey Pickle) and walked about 1/2 mile with my fave friend Buddy, and I am sitting here thinking of a new thread about the 8 1/4 rearends, there is much to be learned about these truck and car rear ends, and like I have said many times there is not a good tec thread on them, so I hope I can get some interest on this.
I hope I don't get a bunch on non cents in it:bs_flag:
I don't need to see farting animals in it.:elmer::poke:
Any thoughts here :thankyou:

Well it is almost 10 oclock here on the hill, just downed a 160z orange juice with my banana (Monkey Pickle) and walked about 1/2 mile with my fave friend Buddy, and I am sitting here thinking of a new thread about the 8 1/4 rearends, there is much to be learned about these truck and car rear ends, and like I have said many times there is not a good tec thread on them, so I hope I can get some interest on this.
I hope I don't get a bunch on non cents in it:bs_flag:
I don't need to see farting animals in it.:elmer::poke:
Any thoughts here :thankyou:
what do you need to know about the 8.25?

what do you need to know about the 8.25?

I realy have learned allot already by trial and era, bought a new sure grip (cheep from a member ) and it turns out there is an off set housing 8 1/4, and then there is what I have that is an 8 1/4 that is not off set, after spending the cash for bearings and such, I learned the hard way that my housing is not off set to the pinion out put. Mine is a 73 318 duster rear end.. note the part numbers for the year model .
I just think a thread would be good to post to help some of us that run an 8 1/4.

01AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg

01AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.jpg

I realy have learned allot already by trial and era, bought a new sure grip (cheep from a member ) and it turns out there is an off set housing 8 1/4, and then there is what I have that is an 8 1/4 that is not off set, after spending the cash for bearings and such, I learned the hard way that my housing is not off set to the pinion out put. Mine is a 73 318 duster rear end.. note the part numbers for the year model .
I just think a thread would be good to post to help some of us that run an 8 1/4.

View attachment 1714937753

View attachment 1714937754
i knew there was an offset one, personally never mess with an offset one, only the standard. would be interested in knowing the reason for the offset

I have dealt with both, the off set one is used for the high gear ratios like 2.71 and 2.45 The pinion gear is huge and that is why there is a offset. Mike has the track loc for the offset. We are thinking about doing a thread together on this.

There's nothing to it, guys. Buy a pair of shoes and do the 400 feet. Then in three days do them again. Before you know it, you're doing five miles.

My doctor tole me that I should run 2 miles a day for two weeks...

I called him back after and said, "I"m 28 miles from home!!!!"

That would be a great idea... :thumbsup:

But I don't know that much about axles, I'm not much help there... :(
Well that's a new one on me Karl, I would have figured you do have some info to add to it when I get all my pictures ready.
I hope to learn as much as I can, I have learned a few things in the last 30 days.

What did the elephant say to the naked man in the jungle???

How do you breathe through that little thing????

Well that's a new one on me Karl, I would have figured you do have some info to add to it when I get all my pictures ready.
I hope to learn as much as I can, I have learned a few things in the last 30 days.

I know my engines and suspensions, I've always wanted to learn transmissions and axles, but did not find any body that could teach me.

My friend and I once tore a 904 apart when we were in high school, but then decided it was too difficult for us to put together...

I have dealt with both, the off set one is used for the high gear ratios like 2.71 and 2.45 The pinion gear is huge and that is why there is a offset. Mike has the track loc for the offset. We are thinking about doing a thread together on this.
I will be gathering notes and info on all I have and learned the hard way, between you and I and the info we can gather from here and the world web we should get a good help thread going boss :usflag:

Well I slept in late after yesterday... It looks like Eddie did too...

As soon as he comes over, we are going to pull the 318 out of his Dart today...

Then start to drop the 340 in....

I know my engines and suspensions, I've always wanted to learn transmissions and axles, but did not find any body that could teach me.

My friend and I once tore a 904 apart when we were in high school, but then decided it was too difficult for us to put together...
My son and I did a 904 a few years back, we had a video that walked us threw everything, simply lay the old parts out and put the new parts next to them, a couple pulling tools and stack the clutches and put it right back, the trans is still on the road under a van

That should be a breeze I believe Karl, fly wheel change I think or flex plate . oil pan will need changed won't it ?

My son and I did a 904 a few years back, we had a video that walked us threw everything, simply lay the old parts out and put the new parts next to them, a couple pulling tools and stack the clutches and put it right back, the trans is still on the road under a van

Bob and I went at it half-assed without any videos or books... Just take bolts off until it comes apart.... :wtf:

-
Back