Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Morning all.

And yes, gotta have a filter on the compressor to sand blast

You definitely want the air dry. How big is your compressor? I have a 30 gallon and it barely keep up with my small blast cabinet.
Tank size isn't really important, is it? Or do you mean 30 gallons per minute? Mine is a little itty bitty one, it's way too small and I'm aware of it. I'm trying to find a bigger one at a reasonable price. Will need it for my paint job later on.

Tank size isn't really important, is it? Or do you mean 30 gallons per minute? Mine is a little itty bitty one, it's way too small and I'm aware of it. I'm trying to find a bigger one at a reasonable price. Will need it for my paint job later on.
Tank size is hugely important as is CFM

I'm actually thinking I could pick up more than one small compressors and hook them up in parallell to the same pressure switch.

I would think so, a blaster is almost like having the hose on the compressor open a lot of air volume going out.

Working on the duster this weekend?
No specific plans, but likely I will do something. Got the doors done, so will be checking for leaks after this mornings rain ( and more on the way Sunday). I tightened up the speedometer cable at the trans, and think that may have stopped my leak.I do need to check out the Neon, and most likely put that up for sale.

I think Chris might have meant for painting. A small tank when spray painting would probably make the pressure jump up and down too much.

Let me know what you want for that the wife is kind of interested in it.

Well, I just checked in after having lunch. I'm going back out into the baking sun. I don't want my parts to rust. Planning on priming my brake calipers and LCA pins.

No specific plans, but likely I will do something. Got the doors done, so will be checking for leaks after this mornings rain ( and more on the way Sunday). I tightened up the speedometer cable at the trans, and think that may have stopped my leak.I do need to check out the Neon, and most likely put that up for sale.
There is a small o ring or seal inside the housing that might need changing if it was leaking there.

I'm actually thinking I could pick up more than one small compressors and hook them up in parallell to the same pressure switch.
Been there, tried that. It ended up costing as much as good big one by the time I was done.

I used to have a 5hp 60gal compressor inside the shop. And Man was that thing LOUD. Developed a hole in the tank, so the manufacturer sent me another tank. But the pump wouldn't bolt up to the new tank. So I had someone weld up the old tank, and then I connected them for more volume. Still Loud as crap in the shop though. Sooo... I Bought an 80gal 7.5 Hp Ingersol from my Old Tool Supplier. Then I build a small shed and insulated it , outside the rear wall of the shop, near were the other tanks were inside. Piped it through the wall and removed the pump from the old 5hp unit and piped both 60 gal tanks together and the line coming in from the new compressor outside. So I now have 200 gals of volume. Nice and quiet inside also.
picture_812992.png

ACFM 24 ACFM
Horsepower 7.5 hp
CFM Disp 25 CMF
Tank Style Vertical
Voltage 230V
Phase SINGLE PHASE
Tank size 80 gallon
Controls dna
Item Air Compressor
Max PSI 175 psi

Last edited:
I suppose a larger tank yields a more stable pressure but when sand blasting, I would assume that continuous CFM is the most important parameter?

It's more air capacity. I had a 15 gallon tank, but a 16.x cfm at 90 psi. The sand blaster said I needed minimum of 11. It worked, somewhat. I'd get bout 90 seconds worth of blasting before it'd surge. As the motor kicks on, it pulses the air flow.

Ended up buying an 80 gallon last year, 500 bucks but I can now do almost an entire fender inside and out before the motor kicks on

Or just get a big tank and work the compressor over time and burn it up. Prob cheaper in the long run to buy a 30 gallon or so compressor, two stage if it is priced right. Mine is a single but I bought it because when the compressor take a dump I can change it to a two stage easily for around $150 or so.

Or just get a big tank and work the compressor over time and burn it up. Prob cheaper in the long run to buy a 30 gallon or so compressor, two stage if it is priced right. Mine is a single but I bought it because when the compressor take a dump I can change it to a two stage easily for around $150 or so.

This^

Though I went 3 stage oil cooled with an 80 gallon tank, quiet and the air supply is awesome. No purging or surging either

-
Back