Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Copper plated steel. You have a welding helmet right?
Duh. Look at the picture above ...
The helmet works and the welder "works". And I figured out the perfect place to NOT put your phone and what NOT to wear when you're stick welding ...
image.jpeg

Oh yeah gloves, long sleeves long pants and sandals!
Really? I thought short sleeves, short pants, thin assembly gloves and Birkenstocks was the thang.
Anyway, put a couple of hours in and now it looks pretty nice! New, heavier cables, proper cable glands and a beefier earthing clamp. Gave it a sponge bath too.
It's AC only but I intend to remedy that eventually.
For all you mechanics out there, here's a little tip:
It's perfectly safe to use soap and water on a thing like this where everything is copper, steel and insulators, even on the inside like I did here. It is important to rinse away all soap residue and let it dry thoroughly, obviously. My welder is drying out in the sun for a few hours now.

When you see a PCB, though, it's very important to keep water out. The water enters into the laminate and will corrode the copper strips eventually. It may work for a long time but it will fail eventually. Trust me, I've worked with electronics repairs.

Transformers, cables and connector blocks are ok in my book. You might want to avoid soap and spraying water directly on more intricate electromechanical stuff like for instance the rotary switch on my welder, the part that's behind the panel.
2016-06-02 15.53.26.jpg

I feel the same way, Ben! At least during the warm months, I could easily adapt to cold showers. But since this place where I live isn't mine, I need to let the owner know.

Good day David, when I seen you needed a hot water heater looked at becouse it's not working right, I thought to myself :popcorn: Self :) Why do I need a hot water heater ! Hot water is hot already, I need a cold water heater :rofl: It's how they worded it, Water heater would be proper :thumbsup: Hot water is already hot :D..

I think they run cold water through a black garden hose in Texas. Just need to keep enough flow or you get all steam.

Good day David, when I seen you needed a hot water heater looked at becouse it's not working right, I thought to myself :popcorn: Self :) Why do I need a hot water heater ! Hot water is hot already, I need a cold water heater :rofl: It's how they worded it, Water heater would be proper :thumbsup: Hot water is already hot :D..

Funny, being an English major in my distant past I never thought about it that way, Mike, but yes!

I see a career as a welder or possibly junk metal artist in my distant future. Very distant.
2016-06-02 18.30.01.jpg
2016-06-02 18.29.37.jpg

Take a length of angle Iron, lay it on its side on a piece of flat. Weld the "V". When you are learning just weld straight, dont try to go in circles. Right handed, Left to right, let rod fill into the V. Use thick stock to start, lowest settings to get good bead. Welding rods are not the same. Get an all position rod. Keep rods DRY! Wish i was there, I could show you what I mean.
Five Steps To Improving Your Stick Welding Technique - MillerWelds

Thanks Tim! Actually, there's a spot at the bottom of the CV joint that looks pretty decent. The bolt I welded to the top was welded in four or five shots, I think. And none of the parts were the least bit clean. I had too little current at first which made me get the rod stuck a hundred times before I cranked up the juice far enough.
I just wanted to test the rod and the transformer. For the CV joint I used position 3 of 4 so It's not a high-power welder ...

Guy came out and replaced the bad element in the water heater, all good now.
Nap time now. I woke up in an anxious state this morning from a bad dream where I was the lead actor in a play, opening night, the crowd was arriving and the director was mingling, all the other actors were prepared but I didn't know my part at all.
I knew my day could only get better after that!

Nap time now. I woke up in an anxious state this morning from a bad dream where I was the lead actor in a play, opening night, the crowd was arriving and the director was mingling, all the other actors were prepared but I didn't know my part at all.
I once had a dream that I was sitting at a table drinking whisky. And I woke up and I was sitting at a table drinking whisky.. Kinda freaky...

I dream that all the time. It's awful.

I just saw the new episode of HotRod Garage on MTOD. I really like that show. Tony and Lucky sure have found their format.

- Welding helmet
- Slag pick
- Welding rods 2 and 2.5 mm
- Heavier earthing clamp
- Set of 35 mm2 (AWG 2) jumper cables to replace the flimsy cables coming out of the welder (that are probably 10 mm2 (AWG 7))
- Air grinder kit
- HSS grinder bits (I'm thinking port matching the intake and heads, what could possibly go wrong ...)
- Propane torch
- Cutting fluid
- Blasting nozzle and hose for bucket suck-up
- Dial gauge with magnetic foot
- pack of gloves.

Check out the thread in the small block forum by 318willrun on home porting a 318 head. Some very good tips...

my Low dollar 318 hop-up project

-
Back