Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Evening gents and gentettes.

I've been working on my car as well TMM. I hope I get it drive-able in time. I mean it is, but Im not happy with it right now. Not to mention Im still dealing with that damn broken hood hinge. It will work for the time being, but its not right and that will be something Im looking for at the show.
Sounds like Keith isn't going to bring his Valiant this year. Bringing the Neon instead.
I should be more prepared to drive mine 3 hours. I have a couple oil leaks that need attention but I'm driving it anyway.

Found out yesterday I have arthritis in both knees-figuring out a rehab plan that does not interfere with car assembly.
:-(
I think I have some of that going on too. Getting old isn't for sissy's! lol

Time to cash in I take it. How old are you Ray? The cat cleaning sounds like an adventure.

65 in October. But I retired at 53. Due to injury. Turned the railing business over to a young employee. He has been doing ok. The heavy fabricating end. Sandblasting business I shut down. I have other things I do to entertain myself.

Sounds like Keith isn't going to bring his Valiant this year. Bringing the Neon instead.
I should be more prepared to drive mine 3 hours. I have a couple oil leaks that need attention but I'm driving it anyway.
I saw that on FB today. I cant believe he only has 28k on that car. At least it will be a more comfortable drive.

I should look at the weather, I hope there is no rain. I found 2 spots on my car water pours in. I think wiper pivots and the rear window somewhere. I also have a rear main leak that I have to get back to the builder to repair. I wanted to do that last Friday, but its going to have to wait now.

65 in October. But I retired at 53. Due to injury. Turned the railing business over to a young employee. He has been doing ok. The heavy fabricating end. Sandblasting business I shut down. I have other things I do to entertain myself.
I thought you were retired just didn't know how old. I turn 61 in a couple weeks and I'm looking forward to getting off the truck and away from the rat race.

Hot water heater question...the place I'm renting has an 85 gal hot water heater. For the past few days, the water hasn't been as hot as before, and before the end of a normal shower, it's only warm. Do they "partially fail" like this? If so, can it be fixed or will it probably need to be replaced? Is there anything I should try before notifying the management company? Thanks in advance.

Good morning folks!
sharp. Get some 6013 welding rod. Very good for beginners. Easy to get a arc started. 7014 is a good one as well.
Thanks, Tim. Not sure if the same designations are available here but finding similar ones shouldn't be a problem.

Found out yesterday I have arthritis in both knees-figuring out a rehab plan that does not interfere with car assembly.
:-(
That is terrible. Is it chronic or will rehab actually improve it?

The pole looks to be early 19 hundreds. The hair probably from the 30's
Hair from the thirties? Eeewww!

Hot water heater question...the place I'm renting has an 85 gal hot water heater. For the past few days, the water hasn't been as hot as before, and before the end of a normal shower, it's only warm. Do they "partially fail" like this? If so, can it be fixed or will it probably need to be replaced? Is there anything I should try before notifying the management company? Thanks in advance.
If it's electrical it might have more than one heating elements and one of them could certainly fail while the rest are ok. Convection will bring the hotter water to the top of the tank where the drain is so the output will gradually cool as you use up the water.
Replacing the heating element is probably possible but finding parts could be an issue if it's old, idk.

Heat coils may need replaced. If water in your area has a lot of minerals they build up over time and clog up elements. Usually though only a temporary fix. Did mine once only got two more years out of it.

Yer screwed....

It's going out...

Most likely your lower element is dead. Can check with an ohm meter. Kill power (and verify off with voltage test). Check for shorts from elements to ground. Take leads off and test across . Should be 10-15 ohms.

Last edited:
Heat coils may need replaced. If water in your area has a lot of minerals they build up over time and clog up elements. Usually though only a temporary fix. Did mine once only got two more years out of it.
If it happened gradually that's probably the cause. If it was a sudden change, the element is broken.

Hello everyone!
Check out the stuff I just got:
2016-06-02 12.33.05.jpg

- Welding helmet
- Slag pick
- Welding rods 2 and 2.5 mm
- Heavier earthing clamp
- Set of 35 mm2 (AWG 2) jumper cables to replace the flimsy cables coming out of the welder (that are probably 10 mm2 (AWG 7))
- Air grinder kit
- HSS grinder bits (I'm thinking port matching the intake and heads, what could possibly go wrong ...)
- Propane torch
- Cutting fluid
- Blasting nozzle and hose for bucket suck-up
- Dial gauge with magnetic foot
- pack of gloves.

Just popping in to brag. I'm heading down to the basement to try my welder.

See you in a bit!

They sure have funny copper in China ... And I forgot, it wasn't 35 mm2 jumper cables, it was 16. I'm sure the sheath on the cables are flame retardant even though they are completely void of any markings ...
The earth clamp turned out pretty ok, though. Just used the jaw from the jumper grip.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

-
Back