Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
And the color is right. :poke: :rofl:
I think I was captivated by that color due to a freeway construction job my dad was working
1708439532022.png

1708439592429.png

1708439612731.png

The outfit that was doing the dirt work had Euclid equipment. :lol:

Contractor I was workin' for had a portable genset mounted in a 40' trailer that was used for portable rock plants, concrete plants, whatever electric. V 16 Detroit it was. Always a good time getting it started in the morning. One morning I push the starter button, it makes about half a revolution and comes to a crashing halt and water pukes all over the floor. "this isn't good" They didn't want to disassemble it in the trailer so I got to work disconnecting it so we could remove it. Had to use 2 large skip loaders and a 45 ton crane to get it out of that trailer. Crane gets a hold of it and starts to swing it over the other equipment towards the low bed trailer to take it to the shop. Half way there the Detroit motor on the crane ***** the bed :eek: . It was a hydro crane, so no power no move. There that genset hung 30' in the air :lol:. "Alex! They need your help over at the ready mix plant. Get over there!". When I get back the generator is gone and the broken crane is moved away from the plant area. The ready mix plant didn't really need me. I thought at the time it was just a ploy to get me out of the way :lol:. They didn't want to tell me, but after a few Silver Bullets after work I got it out of them. They had to fly a guy up to that genset on the headache ball of another crane to rig the generator and disconnect it from the dead crane. Then the rigger rode the generator to the ground :wtf::realcrazy:. All that grief from a cracked cylinder liner and a quart of coolant :lol: Not a good day for Detroit Diesel :lol:

Last edited:
Contractor I was workin' for had a portable genset mounted in a 40' trailer that was used for portable rock plants, concrete plants, whatever electric. V 16 Detroit it was. Always a good time getting it started in the morning. One morning I push the starter button, it makes about half a revolution and comes to a crashing halt and water pukes all over the floor. "this isn't good" They didn't want to disassemble it in the trailer so I got to work disconnecting it so we could remove it. Had to use 2 large skip loaders and a 45 ton crane to get it out of that trailer. Crane gets a hold of it and starts to swing it over the other equipment towards the low bed trailer to take it to the shop. Half way there the Detroit motor on the crane ***** the bed :eek: . It was a hydro crane, so no power no move. There that genset hung 30' in the air :lol:. "Alex! They need your help over at the ready mix plant. Get over there!". When I get back the generator is gone and the broken crane is moved away from the plant area. The ready mix plant didn't really need me. I thought at the time it was just a ploy to get me out of the way :lol:. They didn't want to tell me, but after a few Silver Bullets after work I got it out of them. They had to fly a guy up to that genset on the headache ball of another crane to rig the generator and disconnect it from the dead crane. Then the rigger rode the generator to the ground :wtf::realcrazy:. All that grief from a cracked cylinder liner and a quart of coolant :lol: Not a good day for Detroit Diesel :lol:
:rofl: :rofl:

Oh Yeah! The push-pull scrapers had two of those screamin' Detroits in the same package :lol:
Actually that was the very first piece of equipment I ever got to drive. With no Mom the job site was my baby sitter! They would give me to a different operator everyday. Running the two engine rigs they would flop over the catch and run them in tandem since my feet could not reach the pedals!

The price for the Hi Po 273 stuff looks like Accurate LTD but I don't think they make all the options listed there.
Tough to find early A application systems. I'll need to call to verify it's OK for 111" wheelbase. I assume it is and you just have to cut a piece away if you have a 106

Not many of us remember riding the ball up and down to whatever elevation or platform you were hanging iron on that day. I cuss OSHA just like everyone else but in the end they did stop those kind of stunts. But it sure was faster for us, at the time we just thought we were being efficient! Once I became a crane operator many moons later I would always think of those days while we were doing the obligatory rescue exercise for tank extraction. They would harness a guy up and I got to fly him around a bit. The super always got the new guy who was very pale at the thought, explaining it was part of safety protocol. It actually is. Anyway, He would get him hitched to the little ball and give me the thumbs up and I would swoop him up and around! Super would then get on radio and offer me incentives if the guy puked!

Not many of us remember riding the ball up and down to whatever elevation or platform you were hanging iron on that day. I cuss OSHA just like everyone else but in the end they did stop those kind of stunts. But it sure was faster for us, at the time we just thought we were being efficient! Once I became a crane operator many moons later I would always think of those days while we were doing the obligatory rescue exercise for tank extraction. They would harness a guy up and I got to fly him around a bit. The super always got the new guy who was very pale at the thought, explaining it was part of safety protocol. It actually is. Anyway, He would get him hitched to the little ball and give me the thumbs up and I would swoop him up and around! Super would then get on radio and offer me incentives if the guy puked!
:rofl: :rofl:

Yeah... $1,600....

TTI is under a $1,000..... so that may be the deciding factor and I go Twice-pipes

There was one other place that I looked, but theirs is made-to-order and a 12-week wait
Chris,
It is not really hard to make your own. It just takes some time, a bit of cussing and some bourbon. Save you an easy 1k

Commercial Passenger flying today.

"These winds pushed Virgin's Boeing 787 to a ground speed of 802 mph and United's Boeing 787 to 838 mph.

The speed of sound is 767 mph. While they were flying faster than the speed of sound, the planes didn't break the sound barrier, The Washington Post reported."

Not too often do you get break the speed of sound with a crappy cocktail in hand and something that is supposed to be lunch in front of you
:lol: :lol::lol:

"Just climb on the ball Alex! I'll get ya down!" says Red the crane operator. Swings me off the top of the portable plant I was workin' on, releases the brake on the load line, freefall, catches me about a foot off the ground :lol: I got him back later on another job. 40 mph on a public street with him in his doghouse and 125' of boom following him :lol:

OK... I've burned sage over the "rebuilt" 904 that had been the nightmare. I'm pretty sure I found and resolved the issue that caused all the problems.

Question... can I use all the new, upgraded guts out of the 1965 Slant 904 and put them into a 1965 SB V8 904?

And the torque converter?

Both pushbutton and ball & trunion.

@lkopaska ?

-
Back