Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
well lets speak hypothetically.

say you've been working a **** ton of overtime. Your daughter cries every weekend when you have to work. only home to maybe tuck her in bed at night. Goes on for over 5 months. Then you get told the overtime is all caught up one week, 2 days later, pulled into a meeting, suddenly asked to work doubles, miss your wife's birthday dinner and your scheduled family xmas dinner because the manager cant do simple freaking math. Then the manager lets slip about needing to update everyone's resume and says they aren't sure how many positions they will have next year but "no one's job is in jeopardy". It's double speak. So we ask our team leader if he knows, he does, but cant say due to a confidentiality agreement. Manager gets worried after seeing us talking to him after the meeting. So I'm seeing the writing on the wall.
Sounds like you should be online posting your resume. Not heading for the woods. I found out the hard way, it's a lot easier to get a job while you still have one. :BangHead:

Sounds like you should be online posting your resume. Not heading for the woods. I found out the hard way, it's a lot easier to get a job while you still have one. :BangHead:
i have been.

I just dont know exactly what to do. Do I work the OT which lets the company maintain its contract with its customer, miss the family stuff, or do i say no and do my regular schedule? I mean I can see her coming back and telling us to hit the road as soon as the OT is done on Monday morning.

I just dont know exactly what to do. Do I work the OT which lets the company maintain its contract with its customer, miss the family stuff, or do i say no and do my regular schedule? I mean I can see her coming back and telling us to hit the road as soon as the OT is done on Monday morning.
of course we're not in the same boat - but I firmly believe "family first"

I hear you but for me, my family relies on my job. So since we dont know whats going on, im not sure which to do.

Agreed 100%, But sometimes you need to look at the long term consequences more than the immediate. I needed to get out of my previous job situation, but I could probably be in a much better financial situation if I had stuck it out and dealt with their :bs_flag:a little longer. You just never know for sure till you 'pull the trigger'. They opened a door and I walked out through it...

Agreed 100%, But sometimes you need to look at the long term consequences more than the immediate. I needed to get out of my previous job situation, but I could probably be in a much better financial situation if I had stuck it out and dealt with their :bs_flag:a little longer. You just never know for sure till you 'pull the trigger'. They opened a door and I walked out through it...
yea, you are kinda gambling with your life - even after you 'pull the trigger' you will never know what would have happened if you had made the 'other' choice.. what to do, what to do - how many times do we ask ourselves that one in a life time... best thing - follow your heart and your gut

yea, you are kinda gambling with your life - even after you 'pull the trigger' you will never know what would have happened if you had made the 'other' choice.. what to do, what to do - how many times do we ask ourselves that one in a life time... best thing - follow your heart and your gut
very good points. I think I'll hedge my bets. do the OT, while also putting in applications like crazy.

very good points. I think I'll hedge my bets. do the OT, while also putting in applications like crazy.

I'm sure you'll work it out...maybe some creative ways to get family moments and give kids some fun, they won't care what time it is and when you see their smiles it won't matter how tired you are. Number one you have to protect their food and shelter. Ask your wife to be understanding and keep her spirits up and not let stress overwhelm the holiday. Count your blessings.

Man I am sad to see Tom Dustermaniac in such a bad way. Something needs to change on his end, I feel, the support he's gotten over the years from FABO members has not helped him. It is sad to see especially for his daughter just coming into adulthood whom I met, she can use our prayers as well.

Time to dig out the lights for the Christmas tree, it ain't gonna decorate itself, I'll peek into the coffee shop off and on...might be off tonight, they'll be asking for volunteers because it's slow.

and I thought I had put it off... LOL

Haha growing up we never got our tree till the 14th, my sister's birthday, it became a tradition because the Christmas tree lot was right next to the hospital and my Dad knew which window was my Mom's room and we waved to her...I thought it was fun she told me later she hated being away from us...back in the dark ages they didn't let kids visit the maternity floor. But anyway I always feel a little funny getting a tree before the 14th.

I'm sure you'll work it out...maybe some creative ways to get family moments and give kids some fun, they won't care what time it is and when you see their smiles it won't matter how tired you are. Number one you have to protect their food and shelter. Ask your wife to be understanding and keep her spirits up and not let stress overwhelm the holiday. Count your blessings.
thanks, that helps, a lot actually

Haha growing up we never got our tree till the 14th, my sister's birthday, it became a tradition because the Christmas tree lot was right next to the hospital and my Dad knew which window was my Mom's room and we waved to her...I thought it was fun she told me later she hated being away from us...back in the dark ages they didn't let kids visit the maternity floor. But anyway I always feel a little funny getting a tree before the 14th.
yea, it sounds like you have a real tree and you don't really want them in the house for too long - I just needed to get the gumption to drag ours out of the attic... really did put it off 'til late (for us) -- I can feel the "humbug" ebbing away :thumbsup:

DB, Hate to say it, but sometimes the job comes first as it puts food on the table. If you comply your more apt to maintain the job instead of someone bucking the system. That being said, the 2 times I was asked to do something like that was because the place was changing hands behind the scenes and basically the new people are doing a re-hire and it was never announced until completion. Yep, a job app disguised as a resume' I made it through both times, but damn I hate being an asskiss. Do what ya gotta do to CYA.

Last edited:
-
Back