Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
It's better than it used to be, even down in that area. My neighborhood is much better in that respect than when I first moved here.

We heard gun shots in the alley right next to my house in Detroit once and called 911... :elmer:

It took them 45 minutes to show up... :wtf:

We lived 1/2 mile from the police station.... :wtf:

It's better than it used to be, even down in that area. My neighborhood is much better in that respect than when I first moved here.
When I worked in downtown Memphis, we used to pick up all the spent bullets in the parking lot from the weekend that had bounced of the building and turn them into the police.

I swear that town was like living in a war zone sometimes. We actually watched a gun fight with police in a parking lot across the street one day.

We heard gun shots in the alley right next to my house in Detroit once and called 911... :elmer:

It took them 45 minutes to show up... :wtf:

We lived 1/2 mile from the police station.... :wtf:
How far was the Doughnut shop?

When I worked in downtown Memphis, we used to pick up all the spent bullets in the parking lot from the weekend that had bounced of the building and turn them into the police.

I swear that town was like living in a war zone sometimes. We actually watched a gun fight with police in a parking lot across the street one day.
Never was that regular or that bad where I am. We'd hear shots a lot but rarely a front row seat like that. And shooting at the police has always been pretty rare.

One of the better gunshot stories - mid 90s. Setting. Middle of the night. This a row of brick houses, brick twins behind us with big yards and an abondoned lot on the back corner.
There's a string of shots that wake me up. Loud and close. From the back yards - probably. No follow up sounds. Of course I call the cops, and go back to bed.
Talking with nieghbor the next morning. She said she called 911 - told them she was woken by gunshots.
911Operator:"Did you see anything?"
Neighbor: "I saw my pillooow. I was sleeping!"

Well, it looks like the lawn fertilizer is working. The neighbor above and the one to the left have been getting their lawns professionally fed for the past several years and ours was quite a bit more yellow and thin than theirs are. Looks quite a bit different today...

FD2D4705-0E04-404E-AF7E-D05B3ED13594.jpeg

So the official news at work today in the management meeting was about like I expected. The investors want out by the end June, the senior staff (CEO, CSO, CFO and CMO) are all being put on part time limited contracts and cutting their pay by 30%.

They have to find a buyer for the company and set up a sale to whomever bids highest by the end of June. If the offers aren’t high enough, the investors will just shut it down and write off the loss.

Severance is modest at best based on Corporate agreement policy that is in place.

Now the game begins to see if I can find a better place to be before being forced into taking the severance and see what remains of the train wreck to provide some income while I’m still looking.

Oh joy.

Never was that regular or that bad where I am. We'd hear shots a lot but rarely a front row seat like that. And shooting at the police has always been pretty rare.

One of the better gunshot stories - mid
So the official news at work today in the management meeting was about like I expected. The investors want out by the end June, the senior staff (CEO, CSO, CFO and CMO) are all being put on part time limited contracts and cutting their pay by 30%.

They have to find a buyer for the company and set up a sale to whomever bids highest by the end of June. If the offers aren’t high enough, the investors will just shut it down and write off the loss.

Severance is modest at best based on Corporate agreement policy that is in place.

Now the game begins to see if I can find a better place to be before being forced into taking the severance and see what remains of the train wreck to provide some income while I’m still looking.

Oh joy.
well that sucks. Best of luck.

Oh joy.
That sucks, x 2

That sucks, x 2
Thanks.

It’s all part of the game in this business. I have been through 8 rounds of layoffs at 6 different companies over the past 30 years.

Only got laid off twice, survived the rest. This will be number 9 and there won’t be anything to survive, just a possible transition to a new company rising from the ashes. I only ever collected unemployment once...for 4 weeks.

Funny thing is that I have worked with some of the folks across 3 companies or more and we all just keep transitioning into new gigs as we go.

I am leaning heavily towards starting my own company and making my future my own.

Oh joy.
That bites. You're a smart cookie Dave. You should be able to find another position.

Dave, its obvious you have some skills. Dont sell yourself short.

Life is too short to stress the little stuff. Your job isnt on top of the list, i hope. Family and health run well above a job on my list.

Way back when, the goal was to get just enough time in to qualify for unemployment.last time was 26 years ago.
Had i played the game,when i left my last job i could have enrolled in a self-employment program.
I vowed after the last time i had collected unemployment insurance,they gave me a huge hassle,and pretty much destroyed me financially i decided that i would never go through that again.
Now, self employed i dont have to make contributions to them. They did contact me,suggesting i did,and it is optional. I did politely instruct them when,where and how to get off...

Thanks guys.

I started my career being self employed and followed that with working for others. I have no fear of striking out on my own again. My skills and experience are worth a lot of $$ in this industry today, I just need to decide which way is the best for my future and my retirement plans.

I have built the resources to go whichever way I choose...now I just need to decide which one it is.

I just hate being forced into the decision.

Thanks guys.

I started my career being self employed and followed that with working for others. I have no fear of striking out on my own again. My skills and experience are worth a lot of $$ in this industry today, I just need to decide which way is the best for my future and my retirement plans.

I have built the resources to go whichever way I choose...now I just need to decide which one it is.

I just hate being forced into the decision.
Good Luck Dave, I know we have our differences right now, but I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Prayers my friend

-
Back