Stop in for a cup of coffee

-
Ok here's the dilemma...

Both cars are close to the same asking price... One is a 65, and the other a 66...

The 66 is a formula S 4 speed car... Not running, but has most of the original parts and engine.. It has the commando air cleaner, valve covers, dash is uncracked, factory tach, original style radiator, and has a 8 3/4" axle and even the original certa card... Bad - it has some rust in the undercarriage near the back of the rear seats before the muffler/hump over the axles, and there has been patch metal welded around one of the rear torsion bar mounts on the frame rail for the cross member.... but it has a very clean interior and supposedly 65 k original miles... Belonged to an old man that passed away and has sat for over 20 year and the widow finally decided to sell it... The seller claims that he bought the car planning to fix it up, but it needs too much for his ability and is not knowledgeable enough in Mopar to complete it and is over his head and decided to sell... I suspect he may just be trying to flip it possibly... It still has all of the original trim and badges... The front pass fender has had some work done so the trim for that is in the trunk... It looks like it still has the original distributor in it, but my son didn't realize to pull the cap off and look for sure... Oh yeah, the shifter for the trans will only go forward and back, but not side to side... This could be as simple as a linkage adjustment or as bad as needing a rebuild... All of my Mopars in the past have been automatic, so I do not know much about 4 speeds like some of you and @Rainy Day Auto and would like your opinions on what could be wrong with the trans...

The second option is a 65 formula S automatic car... However the original engine has been replaced with a running 318 in it with the commando air cleaner and valve covers, but has a 8 1/4" axle and an aftermarket aluminum radiator that I'm not a fan of... (radiator/fan - pun intended)... However it is a California car and has a more solid body than the 66... This one is not as original as the 66, but does run and drive and has a better body... It has been upgraded to an electronic ignition and he has also put on a dual reservoir master cylinder... He told my son that he blew a brake line once and ended up in a ditch and damaged the pass fender which has been replaced... The owner is moving to Florida and does not want to ship the car down there so he's trying to sell it or he will junk it, which would be a waste of a good drive able car, but may mean he should be more willing to lower his price... The undercarriage is very solid and looks like it was undercoated, the torsion bar mounts are original and solid with no repairs...

Ok, so that's basically the jist of it and maybe if you can give us some advice and links on where to get the sheet metal to fix the 66 we really like the 66 and the kid wants a 4 speed over an automatic...
Numero Uno. What you guys like the car for?
Number two. What does your son like, or is really willing to dig into?

As much as I'd want the '66, it means frame and panel repair. Depending on why he wants the car, will it be neccessary to cut the subframe for a flush butt weld, or cap it. Might need rocker work too. All pretty major stuff as you know.

So I saw the duster is out of the garage. Taken for a spin yet?
No, still no doors or glass. And it’s only wired to run. If I lived in the sticks I probably would have already. But here in the city not a good idea! They get kinda pissy about such things around here.

Thanks, that's the dilemma, should he get the 65 that is running with a very solid body, or go for the 66 that's a 4 speed with most of the original factory parts including an 8 3/4" axle and certa card under the hood...

I am going to post pictures of the 66 now and you will see why we are really struggling to make a decision... Each has it's good points and some weaknesses...

The 65 has an 8 1/4" axle, but not sure if it has been converted to big bolt pattern all the way around or not...
H'm. It still need to be sanded down, better patches, and painted.

Thanks, that's the dilemma, should he get the 65 that is running with a very solid body, or go for the 66 that's a 4 speed with most of the original factory parts including an 8 3/4" axle and certa card under the hood...

I am going to post pictures of the 66 now and you will see why we are really struggling to make a decision... Each has it's good points and some weaknesses...

The 65 has an 8 1/4" axle, but not sure if it has been converted to big bolt pattern all the way around or not...
Looking at the two, I'd have to vote 66. I think the value there going to be higher in the long run being a factory 4spd car. Plus the 8.75 is worth more than a grand these days

Dang summit racing sure knows how to market.

I have an engine gasket kit and a timing chain in my cart for a total of 76 bucks. In red under the total it says "for another $22.02, your order is eligible for free shipping"

So now I have to shop some more to find another item for that much or more to get "free shipping" otherwise I feel like I left money on the table and got screwed out of $9.99 for shipping.

The insanity
there's always something else you need.

Numero Uno. What you guys like the car for?
Number two. What does your son like, or is really willing to dig into?

As much as I'd want the '66, it means frame and panel repair. Depending on why he wants the car, will it be neccessary to cut the subframe for a flush butt weld, or cap it. Might need rocker work too. All pretty major stuff as you know.
After looking at the photos, its a bunch of body work in both. Won't really know how bad either is until start poking it looking for solid. The '66 didn't look quite as bad in the back as I mentally pictured.
A bunch of parts chasin' on the '65 to make it look better and more complete.
So comes down to what type of project and what he wants it for.

I am now fully decided on quitting my job. Today was the last straw.

Just need to bide my time to the end of the year and see if I can extract a severance and the bonus that they owe me.

I won’t tip my hand to them, but as soon as I know the details, I will plan the final timeline.

I am done.

My wife is fully on board and 2019 will be a new year for my future.

**** these idiots.

You have been having a rough go there for quite sometime. It can't be fun to get up every day and hate your job. I was there at the dealership when I got into the tool business. Best thing I could have done for myself and my family.

Anybody in the coffee thread know where to get replacement sheet metal for an early A... Like a lower rear quarter panel, trunk wheel well, and some floor boards...

If you do, please list the source and/or post a link...

@ValiantK360
Autobodyspecialties has repair panels. I looked up Dart but I think they have early Barracuda too. Here's a link. Autobody Specialties

The only shame about parting out the 66 is there are less than 4000 made... :BangHead: :wtf:
3702 to be exact. The 150 mile speedo and tach are cool as well as the original shifter. I believe the 8 3/4 should be a Sure Grip with a 3.23 and it looks like al the original Commando goodies under the hood.

I am now fully decided on quitting my job. Today was the last straw.

Just need to bide my time to the end of the year and see if I can extract a severance and the bonus that they owe me.

I won’t tip my hand to them, but as soon as I know the details, I will plan the final timeline.

I am done.

My wife is fully on board and 2019 will be a new year for my future.

**** these idiots.

How did I miss this earlier???

Sorry to hear things are going so bad at work...

Do what you need to do and get out of there when you can....

I'm sure you will bounce back...

3702 to be exact. The 150 mile speedo and tach are cool as well as the original shifter. I believe the 8 3/4 should be a Sure Grip with a 3.23 and it looks like al the original Commando goodies under the hood.

Plus you gotta love the original 273 commando engine... :steering:

We may need to pick your brain when we are going through the 273...

I will take lots of pictures of the tear down of the engine and see if it has ever been opened up to document a factory 273 engine...

I will take lots of pictures of the tear down of the engine and see if it has ever been opened up to document a factory 273 engine...
Sure nuff. Would love to help.

CF212E78-4B78-4079-921C-6A0BF1A554D4.gif

The bearings are date stamped. That will be the giveaway that it is original.

Half the morning pint to catch up. Good morning. I think it's going to get a lot warmer than predicted today. It's about 15* warmer than it has been for past week at this time of day. Not very often does it warm up between midnight and sunrise in this neighborhood. Those Barracudas look like fun.

I started out back reading 7 pages I think. It was about 10 before I got done. Then everybody left. My eyes hurt! LOL

I am still around. Getting ready to start formatting the images for the calendar.

And with it being a 4 speed car, there's a good chance that it may be a sure grip... :D :thumbsup:
First car I ever drove with a licence was a 65 Barracuda 273 4 spd , but not an S. Wish I had pics of it. Drove it for a few years, then rolled it on the Washington Beltway, after hydroplaning a puddle and hitting the Good Humor Truck... Paid $600 for it in 1972. Sure missed that car.

-
Back