stuff you're doing while at home

-
That stair well without a railing or cover is gonna worry the heck outa me. Considered temporary casters under cabinets to cover that hole? Safety today beats a wheel chair tomorrow.
My first job was plant maintenance in a textile mill for 10 years. It was a sample mill too so we were constantly changing things around. Workplace safety was etched into my brain,,, and it shows.

I have a sheet of plywood I've been covering the hole with,railing is coming Monday or Tuesday............jeff
I thought to come back and add, Very nice work by the way. Wife and I both had doctors appointments, then lawn to mow, I forgot. Cheers

i finally sorted my home office today and set up the 'desk'. 2 benchtop 10 ton press frames and a 73 year old shed door i got from someone on our estate. i've got a 2 drawer bedside cabinet to go under the desk for more storage too.
neil.

IMG_0001.JPG

my daughter terri helped me concreting today and we got all of the 'footings' done and still have enough ballast and cement to lay the ramp down to the the garage entrance so she's up for a second day on the mixer tomorrow to get it all done. it took the 2 of us just under 6 hours to get this done today, terri works pretty good for a girl
icon_thumleft.gif
. i'm collecting the flat pack frame next week and i've booked ian the chippy (who made it for me) for the following week to get it up. finally........
neil.

IMG_0001 (4).JPG

IMG_0003 (1).JPG

the approach 'ramp' is now done, thanks again terri. the gates can be made now so access doesn't involve lifting a 6 foot fence panel out each time.
neil.

No, Do I really need to? It's mostly full of car parts.
we had a container at a job i had where i used to repair welders etc and it was unbearably hot in the summer and freezing, sometimes with condensation dripping in the winter. if it's for storage you'll be fine, they're a very good secure shed.
neil.

we had a container at a job i had where i used to repair welders etc and it was unbearably hot in the summer and freezing, sometimes with condensation dripping in the winter. if it's for storage you'll be fine, they're a very good secure shed.
neil.
Yeah, it got really hot in there while I was building the shelves.

Very very boring since I broke those ribs, back on Aug. 12. Laying in my recliner not doin' a durn thing!!! And yesterday, went to the grocery store, and twisted a bit getting into the pickup. So yesterday was some more pain, and felt like a golf ball "stuffed in there" most of the day. I can't really even go for a drive. Least little bouncing around hurts. Been over a month now.................

I wrapped up some painting on the cabin here in nort Idaho. After four months here in the wood we head back "home' to Boerne Texas via an overnight in Spokane. It has been great to be secluded in the boonies here but I do miss my cars and guns back home.

i collected my 'kit' shed from my mate's barn today with his help, thanks john :thumbsup:. i've decided as i don't need to get my wedding car in there now it doesn't need to be as tall. this week i'll unscrew all the floor plates from the panels and cut 12" out of the uprights so the building isn't as big looking over the neighbours fences. the last thing i want is for one of the neighbours to complain and i have to take it down :BangHead:
neil.

i had jon and ian (the chippy) over today. after the first day here's where we're at. the back and 2 side walls were assembled and clad then stood up and bolted together flat pack style. then we assembled the front frame before knocking off for the day. we've got to frame out the garage and personal doors before we can clad the front and frame and clad the roof. i'll update again tomorrow assuming it doesn't piss hard all day.
neil.

IMG_0001 (5).JPG

IMG_0002 (3).JPG

IMG_0003 (2).JPG

today we got all the roof framing done, both door frames made and the personal door fitted. the garage door came with the gubbins still attached to the header of the old frame with the springs still tensioned. it would've been rude not to reuse it as is with just new uprights, so we did which simplified that a lot. we added membrane and battens to the front and got most if it clad. i fell off the ladder while we were framing the front while still holding a section of the frame, not good and boy i'm paying for that now. had to sit down for a while 'til i could see clear again but a nice cuppa tea and biccies from mum over the road (i live next door) and more tea later from my sister (lives next door to my new shed and is supplying electricity for the project) was very welcome. dawn was blissfully unaware 'til we packed up for the day at 5ish and i got home moaning about my aches and bumps (not much new there). i said to jon ''we're too old to be falling off of ladders these days'' which he agreed with. i didn't go back over to take pics so i'll get some in the morning before we crack on with cladding the roof.
neil.

we got the roof all sealed up today. there's just some titivating around with facia boards, gutters and the last bit of cladding to cut in around the front doors which i'll do myself. it's all locked up and dry now though
icon_mrgreen.gif

again i forgot the camera and i'm too knackered to go back over now
icon_shake.gif

manyana
icon_tup.gif

the rain eased a bit so i popped over and got some pics
biggrin.gif

nev (the fencing guy next door) is making the gates this weekend so access won't involve lifting fence panels out
rolleyes.gif

i can't get much better pics of the outside as it's got a 6 foot fence all round and other than the front i've built right up to the fence line.
neil.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

the new gates are made and weather permitting we'll be installing them tomorrow morning, thanks nev
icon_tup.gif
opening them for the first time will be like 'tadaaa!' where the front's opened up properly for the first time.
icon_smoke.gif

i've been umming and aahing about what to for the main floor area inside, from type 1 sub base packed down to road planings with a sprinkle of cherryade (red diesel) to soften the tar packed down to biting the bullet and spending on a concrete floor to do it right the once. dawn said today why don't you concrete the floor? i don't need telling twice i can tell you
icon_mrgreen.gif

so.... gates this weekend, finish the cladding and fit facia boards and gutters next week. friday dawn and me are off to 'sunny' gt yarmouth for a weeks break and i'll be concreting upon my return
icon_tup.gif

neil.
ps, i just had a quick tot up and once the floors done i'll be right around the £2000 mark all in for a 6.5 meter square building. not bad.
the only new things are:- concrete, damp proof and breathable membranes, battens, screws and rawbolts.
all the framing, cladding and doors are secondhand.
who says car guys aren't green
icon_wink.gif

I spent a few hours tearing down, cleaning and lubing a BRNO ZKM 611 22 WRM semi-auto rifle I picked up in Idaho this summer. Hard to find piece. Lastly, I mounted a 2-7X scope and will head out next week to get it dialed in.

LM4nBuR.jpg

vt5pkje.jpg

VcoIbQC.jpg

TeCAzWd.jpg

I wrapped up some painting on the cabin here in nort Idaho. After four months here in the wood we head back "home' to Boerne Texas via an overnight in Spokane. It has been great to be secluded in the boonies here but I do miss my cars and guns back home.
:thankyou: :lol:

we fitted the gates yesterday in between the rain and nev's made me a personel gate to replace the half fence panel left after fitting the big gates. hopefully we'll get that up tomorrow.
neil.

the rain stopped mid morning so i cut and fitted the rest of the cladding to the front around the doors and cut ridge tins from leftover cladding and fitted them. then i fitted some leftover battens either side of the 2 doors as trim pieces to neaten up the gap from door frames to cladding. lastly i fitted 2 bolts inside the up and over door for extra s4ecurity and fitted the gate catch and long padbolt to the new big gates.

IMG_0003 (1).JPG

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0006.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

the last gate's all hung and padlocked and nev gave me a top tip about fence panel security. screw a 2 1/2" screw diagonally at each end of the panel's cross braces pointing in towards the corner of the slot in the concrete posts. they pull the panel tight to the inside of the slot and prevent the panels being lifted out. he wasn't kidding either, all the panels i could get to are tight in place with no chance of moving them. i may do it at home too, we've got a couple of panels that rattle when it's windy. the small gate is just like the bigger ones so not worthy of a pic. oh, i also bagged up all the leftover crap and did a tip run so there's room for the next ballast delivery.
neil.

-
Back