Super Gas

-
Ladies and gentlemen I've been racing drag cars since the 1950's, it seems some of you can't put enough togeather to put a super comp or super gas car on the track . these cars run 7.10 and 9.9 index, most of the tracks take the the top 12 to 32 cars closes to the index to compete in the finals. what pisses me off is some of you think you can take your 13.00 second car out to the track and beat them, give me a brake. and you say its not exciting to watch these cars compete.Do you think it's exciting to watch a 12.00 sec. foot braker? Yes these guys have electronics, and they use them, if you don't like it, shove it! if you don't like that, take up a petiction to change it . well we don't have to worry about that you have never voted for anything in your life . yes I'm standing up for the super gas people , Iv'e raced a super comp funnie car ran 7.10 and yes I had a box , if you think you can drive one of these cars with one hand on wheel . you are misstaking. Oh and you need a licenes to compete, if the bunch of you think you can beat the guys with the box you can tri me out on sat. nights at lakeland mototsports park. and the car is a automatic , I love the challange Do you know how much it caust to race one of these cars, LOTS!!!! and as for the clutch and shifting have you watched the pro stock cars, they use a air shifter and clutch set up watch the on board cameras at nationals ,you can see the shifter shifting by itself. Now I don't here any of the super gas people complaining about the other classes what is your problem!! Kiss MY SUPER GAS. I LOVE THIS FORUM BECAUSE I CAN'T BELEAVE WHAT I'M READING HERE.

This is what I like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgyY_kQtQdA&feature=PlayList&p=A9FCAAEEDC789DE9&index=5
http://www.nmcadigital.com/index.php

LIke I said before, bracket racing bores the hell out of me. If it involves using a throttle stop or hitting the brakes anywhere before the finish line, then you might as well be talking about basket weaving or gardening. Heads up = real racing.

hi, in the rule book states, pro stock has to shift the trans manually, no air shifters allowed!!! It still comes down to the driver. electronics has made average and mediocre drivers competive. btw , lighten up. get a life.

Perfacar's success brought about a movement to stop non electronic cars from racing in super/pro. The pro drivers shamed the box guy's enough that the grumbling went underground. Heated discussions, just short of fisticuffs, occured off track. The controversy continues. When Perfacar's Duster comes to the water box, the spectators come to their feet and the box guy's start grumbling. We don't want him back in pro bracket.

That is so funny!! That is like people with guns saying it's not fair for someone to bring a knife to a gun fight. If you use crutchs long enough you will forget how to walk on your own.

hi, in the rule book states, pro stock has to shift the trans manually, no air shifters allowed!!! It still comes down to the driver. electronics has made average and mediocre drivers competive. btw , lighten up. get a life.

Except for one year, Nhra went to air shift trans. It was somewhere around 2000-2003? But they went right back to pulling levers.

hi sgbarracuda if you watch the nationals that was just aired from Georga they showed a pro st with camera on board and you could see the shifter levers moving through the gears with no hands on it, so there must be a loop hole in rules that go back to the 2002 change. unless I wasn't watching close enough. it wouldn't the first time . leave a message next time your going to lakeland I'll tri to be there. we'll exchange old war stories Thanks Gary

hi sgbarracuda if you watch the nationals that was just aired from Georga they showed a pro st with camera on board and you could see the shifter levers moving through the gears with no hands on it, so there must be a loop hole in rules that go back to the 2002 change. unless I wasn't watching close enough. it wouldn't the first time . leave a message next time your going to lakeland I'll tri to be there. we'll exchange old war stories Thanks Gary

Yup, I'm not sure on the exact year it was but I talked to Allan Johnson that year about what he thought about the air shift rule change for that year and he politely informed me that "IT SUCKS". In his word "if you ain't pulling on levers it ain't racing". I'll be at Lakeland in about 2 weeks to help a buddy of mine. I'll try to remember to let ya know.

there is so many pro's and con's on index racing. you say its bracket racing I beg to differ, nhra stock and super stock class racing isn't much differant, even start and if you go to fast your out.. it use to be .10. In s/g p/c s/c if you go to fast your out and a even start.stock and super stock and a lot of other classes are the same. we use to use the adjustible throttle rod to change et. on are stock class cars. and at the points meet if you win your class you get to go into stock eliminater class handicap starts on national records looks to me that is bracket racing , in 1967 I took my 442 to the final round in stock elim. at Minn. dragways NHRA. division pts. meet. now we use a computer not to much diff. if you can't run a 7.10 or 9.90 or what the class is you need to run. stay where your at and not complane. I don't mean to offend you but if your not fast enough don't complane. it takes a lot of $ to run these classes. Gary ps. ask some of the old s/g racers, I raced s/ comp 7.10 index in the mid 1980's . sgbarracuda is a old s/g racer, ask him he will tell ya. just a note,, my car was a late model funnie car converted to super comp.

Im sorry for bringing up this thread from the dead but just have to, People can think what they want , there freedom of speech, I have been going racing with my dad for a long time and have fallen in love with super gas throttle stop racing, Spending 5 days at a NHRA event and having a set dial is way more of a challenge and way more fun then to go 1 or 2 days to the local track and run a all out bracket race to me., we pretty much stopped the bracket racing and "if" we do we bracket race with the stop, over the past 3-4 years we have became more competitive , knowing the car, what its going to do ect, wehave SO much fun, Our Cuda is the heavier of the super gas cars , at 2,400 pounds. most everybody else has roadsters or all fiberglass bodies that they didn't build or they, they paid someone to build, other then some set apart ones. We are racing against 170-180 mph cars and we run 149-152 . we have a whole Altronics weather station and a crew chief pro system and a computer to tell us what to set the stop at, usually a .400 tree we have nothing in the delay, The roadsters and cars that 'CAN' red light have some in the box, for us its hard to red light on a .400 tree. We have won 3 NHRA national opens, 1 divisional and runner uped and semi finale at many events, also have been top qualifier at some ones we attend, we go to about 7-8 NHRA 3-5 day events and ONLY run super gas a year Just my side, again everybody has the opinion

I think electrics is a crutch for guys that doesn't think he's man enough to get the job done on his own. The same guys that the ads for pills to make their ***** larger is aimed at.

You are 10000% clueless about that. You realize that the starting line "electronics" are DELAY boxes, right? Those delay boxes are so car can be set up to red light...and add back the delay to get the desired reaction time. If you can't carry a .010-.015 package each round, you'll be home in time for lunch.

All of the Super classes LOOK easy (and boring) but it's some of most cut throat, CLOSE racing in all of drag racing. You HAVE to be lucky as well as good.

Like your spirit though. Head to the Divisional race (N or IHRA) and let us know how it goes.

Also these cars react very fast and if you took away some of the electronics there would be a lot of red lights. I'm not a fan of throttle stop racing, it sucks to watch from the stands and it will straight up turn people off of the sport. Someone new that does not understand it will never watch two cars wheelie then die they go like stink.... They just dont get it.

I think IHRA has changed the rules so all throttle stops need to be used at the top end so its less noticeable to the fans in the stands.

To each there own... I'm still a foot braker and have fun doing it.

I spent a 3-4 seasons racing in an index class that used no electronics, only transbrakes were allowed. We ran in a 10.90 index. Lots of guys, including us would hit that number round after round by tuning the car to the number. That was some of the most fun racing I've done. The challenge to run that number was really fun but we didn't just play with timers to do it.

Also these cars react very fast and if you took away some of the electronics there would be a lot of red lights. I'm not a fan of throttle stop racing, it sucks to watch from the stands and it will straight up turn people off of the sport. Someone new that does not understand it will never watch two cars wheelie then die they go like stink.... They just dont get it.

I think IHRA has changed the rules so all throttle stops need to be used at the top end so its less noticeable to the fans in the stands.

To each there own... I'm still a foot braker and have fun doing it.

I spent a 3-4 seasons racing in an index class that used no electronics, only transbrakes were allowed. We ran in a 10.90 index. Lots of guys, including us would hit that number round after round by tuning the car to the number. That was some of the most fun racing I've done. The challenge to run that number was really fun but we didn't just play with timers to do it.
exactly , I have just fallen in love with it because 1.I grew up doing it 2.I like the challenge to try to run a SET index, we just started running a H/SA car this year , footbrake and all out, I like it, its fun but just not the same and we wouldn't "just" racethat , we tried racing only the stocker one weekend and we will never do it again, its something about it that's not "fast" I guess. we run 9.90s at 152 and it doesn't really compare to running 11.62 at 113 . Im not saying I hate the foot brake car its just that the super gas car is more fun, sorry for the long boring read,

Personally, to me, I get it, and it IS super competitive, but it's boring as hell to watch.
I would much rather watch the guy running that 11.62 at 113 all day long.
If I see something run 152, it better be at 8.95.
I would much rather see the vehicles run their actual potential, than to see them run an artificial time.
Give me outlaw 10.5 any day.

Miss the days when Super Pro was determined by your ET, not the electronics. Seemed a lot simpler when you ran all out....against the clock. Now with the delay box, timers throttle stops etc it seem more like whoever puts together the best "package" in the electronics of there ride wins..

Back in the late 80's-early '90's I had a 440 powered '69 Dart that ran just fast enough to qualify for Super Street. I had fun racing but I wasn't very competitive - I made it to the semi-finals just once. The only "electronics" I had was a trans-brake. I use to love Super Gas back then - Sheldon Gecker was my "hero". Use to dream about moving up to Super Gas but the class evolved (aka became more expensive) faster than I could save money to upgrade my Dart. In the end it didn't matter. By '94 I was out of racing and haven't been on the track since. Can't imagine all the sophisticated equipment and electronics you need to run in that class now. But I still do like watching Super Gas when I go to the track as a spectator! What my little ramble has to do with anything in this thread I don't know. Maybe I just wanted to give Sheldon some props :prayer: since he comes to mind anytime I read something about Super Gas!

Actually while the index classes are BORING to watch on the starting line, I highly recommend watching them at the stripe. Will give most a new appreciation for those classes.

Ready for Super Gas....LOL

Attachments

• 818eb6cc.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 147
I can't imagine what type of racing requires that FUBAR set up.
:wack:

ever try to stay interested in 153 big block chevy dragsters running the full electronics package? was at topeka a few yrs back w/ a friend that races superstock. superstock was way more interesting ! electronics are running spectators off- cars the most boring thing I`ve ever seen in dragracing, worse than 14 sec. and slower cars! I haven`t talked to one person that likes watching a car leave, then shut off, then come back and run like hell! I won`t pay for it, just like I won`t pay for 1/8 mile racing.-just my opinion--bob

:wack:

ever try to stay interested in 153 big block chevy dragsters running the full electronics package? was at topeka a few yrs back w/ a friend that races superstock. superstock was way more interesting ! electronics are running spectators off- cars the most boring thing I`ve ever seen in dragracing, worse than 14 sec. and slower cars! I haven`t talked to one person that likes watching a car leave, then shut off, then come back and run like hell! I won`t pay for it, just like I won`t pay for 1/8 mile racing.-just my opinion--bob

Well I understand the 1/8 mile drag racing. Around here most tracks have lost so much real estate it was necessary to go 1/8 mile, that and the liability factor. I agree on the throttle stop cars, not my cup of tea either.

I run both Super gas and Super street. The only reason I run Sg is to run at the Nationals.
Super street only runs a one National event in each of the 7 NHRA divisions. And in division 5 they switch every year they switch from Denver to Topeka. Frankly I am not good enough to be in SG. Even though
I have won a division 6 super street wally. I averaged a. .010 reaction time in the win. I was right at the index every pass thanks to a friend. A .010 package in SG is fair. Most those guys average a 5 thousands package. That means a .005 reaction time and 9.9000000. Unbelievable! If you want to try the throttle stop class. Start out in Super Street. The cars are 2800# min. And the tree is .500 pro light instead of a .400 pro light all the pros use. The slower tree is so the heavier lower powered cars can be competitive. Good luck

-
Back