The little 318 & Racer Brown's quality products

-
Just pulled out and thoroughly cleaned the stock lifters. I plan to install a coil kill switch so I can turn the engine over and prime them before firing so I don't beat the heck out of them on startup
Couldn’t you just disconnect the central distributor wire sir?

Don't worry about flipping the pistons, stock pistons had an offset and people use to install them other way around thinking it might pick up power, Engine Masters Show debunked it.

Doesn't take much to make the stock shortblock into a strong performer, 4bbl cam (regrind) headers and. Heads since you don't have any Speed Master with the right rockers to work with magnums (push rod oiling). Should get you into the 400's hp depending on cam.
I am NOT believing one mediocre dyno test, that is not how research works. Even if it doesn't work, there is ZERO reason not to do it. Even if it doesn't make any gains, it's not hurting anything to have them flipped. If it does make gains then you got free power. 3 guys on a dyno with 1 engine do not trump what Chrysler engineers said. That's just my 2 cents

Last edited:
I am NOT believing one mediocre dyno test, that is not how research works. Even if it doesn't work, there is ZERO reason to no do it. If it doesn't change anything then it doesn't hurt them to be flipped but if it does make a gain then you win. It's a zero loss thing to do to the engine
Do what you want, no one stopping you but there's no proof that it works either, that I ever heard of.

Do what you want, no one stopping you but there's no proof that it works either, that I ever heard of.
You aren't wrong, I haven't found concrete evidence either but I've talked to well over 50 Mopar people that have stated it made the engine run harder. Have even set aside my Mopar bias and talked with Pontiac guys as well because their pistons have the offset as well. They stated the same thing, made the engine run harder.

May I ask is this for an engine stand or in order to conduct starts/turnovers from inside the vehicle? Thank you. I simply want to understand the advantage.
It will be in a Duster. My thought process is having the hydraulic roller lifters primed so it's not hammering the valvetrain to death on the first start of the day.

You aren't wrong, I haven't found concrete evidence either but I've talked to well over 50 Mopar people that have stated it made the engine run harder. Have even set aside my Mopar bias and talked with Pontiac guys as well because their pistons have the offset as well. They stated the same thing, made the engine run harder.
I could see why you would try it.

I could see why you would try it.
I guess the way I view it is not necessarily as a HP advantage but more of a mechanical advantage. Making the rotating assembly a better process thus making it rev faster. Just the way I made sense of it when I drew factory pin location vs. flipped out on paper. Glad we could make a respectful discussion on the topic. Apologies if I seemed hot headed as well

I guess the way I view it is not necessarily as a HP advantage but more of a mechanical advantage. Making the rotating assembly a better process thus making it rev faster. Just the way I made sense of it when I drew factory pin location vs. flipped out on paper. Glad we could make a respectful discussion on the topic.
I still doubt it but like you said it don't hurt and one dyno test against ain't proof.

Apologies if I seemed hot headed as well
It's all good :)

Isn’t this concept “flipping the pistons,” what David freiburger and Steven dulcich used to make fun of uncle Tony of YouTube about?

Isn’t this concept “flipping the pistons,” what David freiburger and Steven dulcich used to make fun of uncle Tony of YouTube about?
Yes, Uncle Tony gives a lot of stuff a bad reputation. Although DF and Dulcich have strayed a lot from their cheap ways by getting nice expensive parts, they started looking down on the cheap ways now.

It was and found no proof on the dyno that it works, at least for that test.

I remember magazine in the 80/90's recommended it also.

Last edited:

Here is something to think about.

I run domed pistons. How do I flip them around?

To that end, I have never seen an actual racing piston that has an offset pin. That’s the only way I can see you could accomplish what you are doing with a domed piston.

I have purchased pistons from about everyone in the industry and I asked them all if I should get the pin offset and every one of them said why? You’d be the only one doing it.

Are there some ultra high engines that do that? Probably. But if they are it’s F1 type stuff and they have test equipment to determine if it works.

Guys with an *** dyno are just guys with an *** dyno.

And I’m not disparaging you in any way. If you want to flip your pistons by all means do it. It absolutely positively will do no harm or damage.

And if it makes you feel better do not let anyone talk you out of it. You have to trust your gut and go with it.

Not a thing wrong with going with your gut.

Here is something to think about.

I run domed pistons. How do I flip them around?

To that end, I have never seen an actual racing piston that has an offset pin. That’s the only way I can see you could accomplish what you are doing with a domed piston.

I have purchased pistons from about everyone in the industry and I asked them all if I should get the pin offset and every one of them said why? You’d be the only one doing it.

Are there some ultra high engines that do that? Probably. But if they are it’s F1 type stuff and they have test equipment to determine if it works.

Guys with an *** dyno are just guys with an *** dyno.

And I’m not disparaging you in any way. If you want to flip your pistons by all means do it. It absolutely positively will do no harm or damage.

And if it makes you feel better do not let anyone talk you out of it. You have to trust your gut and go with it.

Not a thing wrong with going with your gut.
I have actually considered getting a set of custom pistons made that would be made for racing but with the pin offset solely to see what it would do. Would I normally do that? Probably not unless that custom set proved something to me. I just figure I was lucky enough to get a shortblock that was in such good shape that it allowed me to reuse the stock pistons while achieving the CR that I wanted. Figured might as well try the ol' piston flip while I was at it because I had never done it before.

I am NOT believing one mediocre dyno test, that is not how research works. Even if it doesn't work, there is ZERO reason not to do it. Even if it doesn't make any gains, it's not hurting anything to have them flipped. If it does make gains then you got free power. 3 guys on a dyno with 1 engine do not trump what Chrysler engineers said. That's just my 2 cents
People have done it for DECADES on the dirt tracks and shown there is a difference. I've seen it myself.....as have a LOT of people. Yet let one show of "experts" come along and say it doesn't work and suddenly everyone's an expert. Did you ever get it dynoed?

I have actually considered getting a set of custom pistons made that would be made for racing but with the pin offset solely to see what it would do. Would I normally do that? Probably not unless that custom set proved something to me. I just figure I was lucky enough to get a shortblock that was in such good shape that it allowed me to reuse the stock pistons while achieving the CR that I wanted. Figured might as well try the ol' piston flip while I was at it because I had never done it before.

Never having done it is as good a reason as any other to do it. I do lots of stuff because I’ve never done it before and I want to see if it makes power.

The fact that you want to do it yourself tells me you don’t let other people think for you.

Nothing wrong with that either.

People have done it for DECADES on the dirt tracks and shown there is a difference. I've seen it myself.....as have a LOT of people. Yet let one show of "experts" come along and say it doesn't work and suddenly everyone's an expert. Did you ever get it dynoed?
I had not yet, I went on a vacation to Sweden then got hammered with harvest season hours for work before I can get it there. Still plan to, I would like to see 400 HP out of it. Hopefully.

People have done it for DECADES on the dirt tracks and shown there is a difference. I've seen it myself.....as have a LOT of people.
Exactly my thought as well, had been done & sworn by for decades but the second Engine Masters said got done with their one dyno day... that nullified decades of people saying it works. That's why I don't like that show anymore and also testing should never be done with a closed mind like they had.

Ed Hamburger told me back in 1983 that flipping the pistons on a stock piston was worth I believe 7 horse power, we did it a lot with no other proof than that.

Ed Hamburger told me back in 1983 that flipping the pistons on a stock piston was worth I believe 7 horse power, we did it a lot with no other proof than that.
Interesting, I had never asked the people I talked to what they thought it made for gains. One person did say he had a book that said a gain of 50 HP. Kinda always figured was an extremely generous stretch. Lol

Back in the 1980’s we were told performance stickers were worth 6 horsepower each. I had my car covered with them and the car ran like a “raped ape”. I’m thinking my black duster needs a few.

Never heard anyone ever say aftermarket pistons with same rings are worth X hp over stock other than if it increases cr. You would think aftermarket would all come with the opposite offset if there was more power.

-
Back