The little 318 & Racer Brown's quality products

-
Never heard anyone ever say aftermarket pistons with same rings are worth X hp over stock other than if it increases cr. You would think aftermarket would all come with the opposite offset if there was more power.
Right, but then again a lot of brands never even used the offset on their stock engines. I'd say that was more due to cost savings than anything. Maybe the same could be said about aftermarket piston brands? We all know a lot of aftermarket brands are heavily influenced by Chevy. That could entirely be a dumb statement from me, all I'm saying is it could be that it just never carried enough influence to do it. That's why I am tempted to be the test dummy and have custom pistons made for a race engine that have the offset in them

Back in the 1980’s we were told performance stickers were worth 6 horsepower each. I had my car covered with them and the car ran like a “raped ape”. I’m thinking my black duster needs a few.
WAIT. Stickers don't add horsepower? They lied to us, those dirty bastards.
:lol:

I had not yet, I went on a vacation to Sweden then got hammered with harvest season hours for work before I can get it there. Still plan to, I would like to see 400 HP out of it. Hopefully.
I think that's a lofty goal......but life is full of lofty goals that get met everyday. It's certainly not impossible. Without dyno numbers, you never know what an engine might do. Keep us posted.

Exactly my thought as well, had been done & sworn by for decades but the second Engine Masters said got done with their one dyno day... that nullified decades of people saying it works. That's why I don't like that show anymore and also testing should never be done with a closed mind like they had.
Well, the reason piston pins are offset is to reduce piston noise. It does that by putting the piston in an ever so slight BIND which holds the piston tighter in the direction of thrust. So it's only common sense that if you free that bind up by reversing the stock piston, you'll lose that little bit of friction. Any time you lose some friction, you know what the end result is.

Well, the reason piston pins are offset is to reduce piston noise. It does that by putting the piston in an ever so slight BIND which holds the piston tighter in the direction of thrust. So it's only common sense that if you free that bind up by reversing the stock piston, you'll lose that little bit of friction. Any time you lose some friction, you know what the end result is.

100% fact. But that friction is minimal compared to ring drag.

IMO it’s better to not use a piston with offset pins and a 5/64 ring pack and use a piston with a centered pin and at the very most a 1/16 ring pack.

The difference in friction loss between the two is significant.

Plus the engine will run cooler (less friction, less heat).

Will you see it on the gauge? Not if you run a thermostat because it regulates temperature but it reduces the amount of heat the cooling system has to reject.

-
Back