Thing I hate most about my/all A-bodies

-
The location of the windsield wiper switch is absolutely stupid.
Small bolt pattern and small 7/16" studs on performance cars? Stupid.
9" drum brakes
L.H. thread lug nuts
Cheap upholstery that doesn't last
Rust, rust, rust
No paint under vinyl roofs and bondo in the seams under them
And finally,
They are worth more in parts than whole except 340 and big block cars!

mmm changing thread title to things, so i can come here and whine....

stupid paper glove box (WTF)
has decent turning radius only when going in reverse

the little problems and repairs that always inevitably pop up, and always when money is tight, but that is just par for the course i suppose.

the two things that surprised me though don't have anything to do with the car it's self.

1. pulling up to a red light and sitting next to a brand new challenger and looking over and expecting some sort of nod, or acknowledgment of the historical heritage or lineage, then realize that the person behind the wheel of the challenger has no clue about that at all.

2. getting flagged down as a taxi. i drive a blue 70 dart swinger. i mean does it really look like a taxi? i mean really? you'd be surprised how often this happens!

Only things that come to mind on my 69 Dart are:

-lack of leg/head room for us tall people (I am 6'3")

-wished the seat would recline

-small wheel tubs (this will eventually be corrected with mini tubs)

1. The whole SBP LH stud thing.
  2. Front ends that came without anti-sway bars or the ability to simply bolt one on.
  3. Tiny gas tanks that are hard to fill .. or .. will back splash all over you.
  4. No factory support for retro-fit of Gen 3 Hemi in A-body.
  5. Water leaks & rust they cause.

Not having a proper place to work on the Valiant and that I have to buy two cars to make one because no one makes patch panels for the 67-69 Valiants.

One thing i hate about both late 60's and early 70's A and B bodies is the styling they used on the upper fender and door panels.

You know the kinda concave shelf they have, 71 Scamp and my 69 COronet are examples.

The area is concave so if you park outside, and it rains abit after you wash it, the water collects there and dries, and you have a bunch of dirty water spots sitting there, that just irks me

The fact that cracks me up is when people stare and ask..... "Is that a rustang?" I´ll try to ignore and stay calm. (breathe, breathe)

I love everything about my Valiant. All the little annoying things are what makes it fun to own. I have spent the best days of my life just driving her around.

The one thing that does bug me is people who say, "I had a Nova just like that."

lets see... You can't find rebuild kits for 10" drum front brake cylinders, stupid SBP wheel crap with the LH and RH threads, rusty gas tanks, the pointless 7 1/4 and how on small blocks, its a ***** to get to the distributor unless you can get crafty. Oh and in order to put new glass in, the dash has t0 be pulled

1967 Barracuda 383 formula S Notch Back
I don't even know where to begin, how about the hillbilly mini tubs made with pop rivets and sealed with roofing caulk (fixed). Headers that cost a house payment. My missing fender tag. Mopar snobs who pick my car apart 'cuz I don't have 1967 vintage air in my tires, or tell me my car was never made. The dash. Everything is so damn expensive for these second generation barracudas. I wouldn't trade it for any ford or chevy tho'!

A bodies are not perfect and have problems, no way? My a bodies is just as perfect as any car .....those who say stupid things ....well the are saying stupid things? If you dont like a part just replace it, all it costs is money. Which I ran out of for now, anyone want to help do body and paint work for free?

Biggest thing I hate about mine is the fact that even with new windshield seal and new wiper pivet seals it still leaks, I've tried everything I can think of to keep from having a floor full of water when I wash it.

mmm fear of damage the leaking windows have done which I cant see.

worried that the surface rust I see looking up under my trunk by the window is a sign of worse things I dont see

Having to dismantle the entire front end to change a strut rod bushing.
The small block outer manifold studs are made of cheese.
I can't seem to fill my tank without fuel flowing out of the neck (is this a Space Saver thing, or do they all do that)?

The inavailability of dual exhaust for the 318 bugged me for a while. I got some bends, rolled out my MIG, and made up some headpipes. Now I'm over it. I suppose when I get some real hardware on the motor, and rebuild that front end soup to nuts, I'll no longer have any pet peeves.

For all those who are dealing with the 9" drums, I went through that on my Dart. The single piston manual disks on the later cars are so nice, it makes up for the lousy restyling. You really can't see the hideous bumpers, grill and taillights from the driver's seat. Just the bulbous hood.

Leaky windshields and gas spilling out of the filler tube are the two most annoying things.

Unknown dash rattles and vibrations that I can't locate are a close 3rd.

-
Back