Time For a rebuild

-
Turbos look good. The kid is getting big!

Did you go with a manual or power rack?

I think the biggest issue for twin turbo Hemi builds is the exhaust manifolds, look forward to seeing your solution.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I have a manual rack. I have a few ideas for the manifolds, either srt jeep manifolds with a v-band welded on and a j-bend to bring pipe forward. S&P tight tuck headers ( same as Rat Patrol) or custom. Will also have other stuff to consider, rad position and type, where air to air intercooler is going to go,and trans cooler. This weekend is going to be siting in garage looking and figuring out what is going where, drinking beer.

It was too cold to go out and do any work on sat. Minus 22*c (-7.6 f) and last night dropped to -33c (27f). Garage is insulated but no heat. Warmed up today so I went out and shoveled snow and then played trying to find somewhere to put the turbos. Tried a few different spots, have an idea but still not sure. I am going to need a rad to cool this beast, anyone recommend one? Anyone mounted their rad in front of the rad support?

Trevor

Attachments

• IMG_0600.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 780
  • IMG_0599.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 726
  • IMG_0593.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 753
  • IMG_0592.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 744
  • IMG_0591.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 750
  • IMG_0590.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 770
Nice build adnd will be watching this one with alot of interest. I was wanting to go twins but most classes don;t allow them here. When I was looking at doing twins I was thinking of installing them in the wheel wells infront of tires. You have alot of room in there behind the headlights. Then could run plumbing to bottom of intercooler and out the top.
Great looking build and grats on the new born( sorry a little late on that one).

Troy

Merry Christmas everyone, with the holidays I had some time off work and I was able to sneak out to the garage and get some work done. Finding a spot for these turbo's with out cutting and hacking the car has had me scratching my head. As in the pictures above I tried different setups and positions and have been out there a few times trying other spots too. I even thought about sticking them in the wheel wells behind the bumper. I made a bracket and tried a turbo in the wheel well but it would have made for hard turning and oil return would have needed pumps, plus the turbo's would be at risk of being hit with road debris. After some more head scratching I came to a spot I think will work well. Going to have to cut some holes for the exhaust to exit, but the more I looked at it the easier it was to see how I am going to run the piping. One last decision is where I am mounting the air to water intercooler and how I am running the piping to it, through the car or under it. And don't laugh at the brackets as its just for mock up and finding placement of the turbo's.

Attachments

• IMG_0639.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 837
  • IMG_0638.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 738
  • IMG_0637.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 690
  • IMG_0636.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_0635.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 708
  • IMG_0634.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 729
After just working to fit a radiator, electric fan, ac condenser, oil cooler, and power steering cooler, I can feel your pain regarding little space to work with!

Couple thoughts:
-Are you sure you want the turbo inlets / air filters right behind the radiator? And have you picked out an electric fan yet to see how they fit with that? I don't know much about mounting turbos- is there a 'right side up' orientation to them?
-Regarding putting something (i.e. intercooler or radiator) in front of the radiator support- there is not a lot of room up there. I modified the hood latch support to clear up space (notched in two places - a portion is now at a 45* angle, and then it cuts back straight down after that. I'll get some pics for you if you like. I've got 3-4" of depth, but only from the lower portion of the grill down (and behind the bumper). You also asked about running a radiator up there- you could potentially fit a 2" radiator across the whole area, but you would lose all room for an intercooler. If you got rid of the latch and latch support, and notched the back side of the grill support and bumper, you could probably clear up 3-4" of dept across the whole radiator opening in that area (at least on my 73 duster - you probably have less room).

I have a plan for the inlets on the turbos. I am going to y them together then go down and under the rad with a cone filter which will be removed at the track and replaced with a 90* forward and a large open scoop. I am saving room in front of the rad for a heat exchanger as I am planning to run an air to water intercooler. Some picks of your rad would be great as I may be willing to move mine forward and move the heat exchanger to under the car at the back.

Trevor

Well I have gotten a little work done but nothing major. I was able to fab up some brackets to mount the turbo's on. I have ordered my air to water intercooler, ice tank and heat exchanger. I also ordered a set of headers for street and Performance in early dec, being told they would be shipped the following week. 2 weeks went by and I did not hear if they were shipped but they had charged me for them so I called. They told me they would be shipped at the end of the week. Christmas eve and still had not heard any thing so I call again. I am then told they are waiting for tubing should have it on the dec 27th. They will make the headers and ship them out. Call again on jan 3 will ship on the friday jan 4. Finally on jan 8 I get an email that they have been shipped and a tracking number. So headers show up today and I open the box and they are the wrong ones:banghead: Call them and get told they will have the manager of the header dep call me back tomorrow. If it takes them another 6 weeks I am gunna freak. Done venting thanks..

Attachments

• IMG_0642.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 685
  • IMG_0643.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_0644.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_0645.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 675
  • IMG_0646.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 665
  • IMG_0686.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 657
Talk to Mark, he's the owner and really a good guy to deal with.

Did you ever consider doing a rear mount setup, lots of guys with vettes run that setup because of lack of space in the engine compartment . I did a single turbo with a big block and ultimately wasnt happy with the clutter of hot/cold pipes stuffed in there .Good luck with your build.

Have you looked into pushing the turbos out towards the fenders more and then cutting holes in the firewall for fresh air. Could always cut the inner fenders at the front and make more room.

Riddler

Pipes can always be bent and moved. Get those turbos off to the sides and keep them cool. Plus it free's up the space for the rad and fans.

Your work looks amazing. Keep the great work.

Riddler

This pic may help - its my buddys twin turbo 600HP 318 LA. Its an A body engine bay .................so it may help?

UNI_2447.jpg

Well after some thinking and looking at how I had the turbos and surfing yellowbullet forums and looking at some turbo setups I have decided I am moving the turbo's. The way I had them I was going to run the exhaust out and through the fender and above the wheel, down and under the frame and back under the car out to the back. I have my wiring and fuel lines coming up in the same area plus I want to do something different. I did some measuring and more head scratching, only thing left is to put the twins where I want them on this go round and see what is what. I am still waiting for the proper headers from S&P, I was told they shipped them last wed have called 3 times for a tracking number and was told they would e-mail it to me but I still have not received the e-mail. Makes me wonder if they have shipped them. I did get some of the other stuff today. I was happy when new parts arrived but now I am getting a stock pile and its getting a little overwhelming when looking at the big picture, but in the end I know it will be worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_0702.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 560
  • IMG_0700.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_0697.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 555
Running two intercoolers? I see an air to air with fans (not needed) and a water to air.

Unless one if them isn't an intercooler?

Riddler

The air to air is actually the heat exchanger for the water. Tank should be here soon I think. As for the rad I am going to need a custom I am sure, 33" wide and 15" tall, twin fans. With the amount of fans this thing should be able to get lift off hahaha. Check into the headers they are arriving today. I have the day off today so I may just hop on the sled and go for a ride and try to get some new mounts done for the turbo's. I will post some pics with the new placement and you guys can tell me what ya think.

Trevor

So the headers did show up today so i tried to see if they fit, pass side is fits like a glove, drivers side not so good, glad I had them tacked as I will have to move a pipe or two so it fits. Planning a good days work tomorrow as the wife is taking the little guy out for the afternoon.

Trevor

Well Saturday was kind of a bust, we have had a bit of snow (8") with lots of wind late last week so there was lots of drifting on top of the snow fall. Wife took the little guy on a journey so I was planning on getting some work done, but first deal with the snow. Go to start the quad to push some snow wont start, pull the air box remove the filter, check to see if its getting gas, yes lots of gas. Pull the plug to check for spark, no spark. Find coil, check wire connections, seem ok. ecu can't even find it but I know it needs 6 volts to fire the plug and I know the battery is low from cranking. Grab the spare battery hook up the jumper cables still will not start. Call a friend to see if he has any insight, check the kill switch he says, wiggle the switch hit the start button and vroom. Ok so couple hours of wasted time battery is still low but it should charge as I drive pushing snow. Get the first good push of snow into the pile, hit the button to lift the blade and the battery goes dead quad dies. Grab spare battery and boost cables hook it up, spare battery is also pretty much dead. Get the truck hook up the cables to it let it run charging the quad battery for a few minutes quad starts, put truck away, cable and spare battery in garage and put the charger on it. Get back on the quad get the driveway cleared, move the dak R/T over to make room to start working on the car. Garage is a mess so I decide to clean up a little so I get a fresh start. By this time its been almost 5 hours and I have not done anything on the car. Get the car moved over get it up on the jack stands, remove the rad and the turbo mounts I made that I won't be using. Lets try the new headers and see if what I was planning will work. Passenger side header bolts onto the engine, clears k-frame, but collector is very close to the side of the oil pan. Try the drivers side, no go front tube hits on the engine mount, #5 tube hits on the mid shaft from steering column to the rack. Cut the spot welds holding on the tube and remove it, remove mid shaft, try the header again and it bolts to the engine. There is a little room between the 5 tube a column, but not enough to fit the mid shaft cause its right were the u-joint is. Just for ***** and giggles I go into the house and grab the wrong headers that S&P sent which are there mid lengths. I am standing there with one header in each hand looking in the engine bay thinking ok where are the turbo's going this time and will these headers fit going forward. Only one way to find out, remove the alternator slide the pass side header in. Almost fits, slide the drivers side in and same thing. Ok now the gears are turning, I need to move 3 tubes on the drivers side and all four on the passenger side to move the collector away from the oil pan with the tight tuck headers. Passenger side fits but I am not happy on how it fits. Buy that time it was early evening wife was home and it was time to call it a day.

Attachments

• IMG_0708.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 609
Sunday morning starts off with a friend coming by who has done alot of turbo installs, we discuss the header situation and the new plan for the turbo's placement. Basically he said I need to make a decision with the headers and just go with it. With the short tight tuck headers I need to move 6 pipes but I would need to run a lot more tubing to reach the turbos and then the exhaust out of the turbo's would need to run under the k-frame. With the mid length headers I need to move 8 pipes, remove the flanges, reshape the ends of the tubes so the flanges are the correct way, move alternator and make alternator mount. On the upside the exhaust would go above the k-frame. To me the choice was clear. Mid length it is, I have reshaped the one pipe to fit the flange and have it going the right direction. And in the pic above the collector is going to point the other direction. I also received a call last night and my ice tank in done and should be getting shipped today.
Also had to try the boys earmuffs on, at least he is ready for the track.

Trevor

Attachments

• IMG_0706.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_0710.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 562
  • IMG_0711.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_0707.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_0709.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 572
So I have been able to get out to the garage and get some work done on the headers. Again I had started to go one way and then decided to take a turn and go a different route. I had planned on bringing them out beside the engine but that would have caused a lot of other fab work to have to be done, like move the alt and would be very tight around the oil gallery lines above the filter area. So I went back to the original plan. I have gotten 3 pipes shaped to the flanges and heading the right direction. Go easy on the criticism as this is my first attempt and building headers. I will have a friend tig them up when I am finished, then get them coated.
The wife could not resist getting the little guy a shirt for the track this summer.

Trevor

Attachments

• IMG_0707.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_0722.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_0723.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 512
  • IMG_0725.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_0726.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 509
  • IMG_0727.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_0712.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 521
Sweet lookin' shirt....Hell, I need one and I'm 40. Headers are looking nice.

-
Back