TONIGHT! B-J Auction

-
There goes the Challenger. Did you see Craig Jackson throw in a bid just to jack up the price. I wish somebody would stick him with one of those bids. He`s done that several times already. I`d be pissed if that guy cost me $25,000.00 dollars!!!

Did the Challenger go for $400,000? Not bad for a $35,000 car. I can't wait to see the first one on the street. They should spank some serious Mustang butt!!!!! And better yet, Ron Pratte didn't buy one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

There goes the Challenger. Did you see Craig Jackson throw in a bid just to jack up the price. I wish somebody would stick him with one of those bids. He`s done that several times already. I`d be pissed if that guy cost me $25,000.00 dollars!!!

CJ bought the challenger.

yep he said something like that. I replayed the tape and it sounded like he said if someone bid $400k he would not bid against them?

Well I think it makes a statement when Mr. Jackson himself buys the mopar, could buy anythng else, and he gets a $400k- about $39k tax right of too.

not bad!

Now just build my 6.4 with a 6 speed :glasses7:

I think they should have a policy that employees cant bid. Doesnt seem fair.

I think they should have a policy that employees cant bid. Doesnt seem fair.

WHOA!!! Back up the beat-down wagon!

Did anyone see the Tony Stewart Home Depot car get auctioned for The Darrel Gwynn Foundation? Tony not only managed to get the car donated for auction, but Mr. Ron Pratt paid $300K for it, PLUS the $100K he donated to Darrel BEFORE the car was auctioned (behind the scenes no less....away from the media) And not only did Goldberg toss in an additional $40K on top of the final sale price, but Reggie Jackson threw in another $10K and CRAIG JACKSON threw in another $25K. Craig also said he wouldn't bid against anyone whom bid the first Challenger up to $400K. He said nothing about not buying it if it DIDN'T get bid to $400K. He bought it. Good for him.

To me, that's the best way for the guys with deep pockets to win they're little pissing contests with each other. Darrel was able to obtain approx. 1/2 million dollars in less than 20 minutes. God bless them all.

BTW: Me thinks this years auction saw a definite shift away from Mopar domination in record prices. Shelbys and Mustangs ruled the roost. And rightfully so. Those 429 Cammers are probably rarer than *most* Hemi cars.

Did you see the Hemi Cuda that hardly got $100,000

Or how about the 1-of-700 Torino Talledga that struggled to sell fot $45K? That car went for more than 1/2 price! It also seemed like all the Hemi cars were E bodies. But the early Mopar's got a surprising amount of love! Those late 50's-early 60's Imperials, Desoto's and Chrysler's all sold for $125K or better! But you have to admit, those Cammer Mustangs are just as cool (and probably rarer...) than most of the Hemi E bodies offered this year.

Now as for getting some lovin... How about those Monster Garage hack-jobs? That flying Panoz was a $60K car devalued to about $25K if I remember correctly. Nice work.

BTW: Going back to Craig Jackson and the Challenger; The proceeds went to charity. The ONLY cars he bid on (so far...) have been for various charity's. I don't see a problem with that.

WHOA!!! Back up the beat-down wagon!

Did anyone see the Tony Stewart Home Depot car get auctioned for The Darrel Gwynn Foundation? Tony not only managed to get the car donated for auction, but Mr. Ron Pratt paid $300K for it, PLUS the $100K he donated to Darrel BEFORE the car was auctioned (behind the scenes no less....away from the media) And not only did Goldberg toss in an additional $40K on top of the final sale price, but Reggie Jackson threw in another $10K and CRAIG JACKSON threw in another $25K. Craig also said he wouldn't bid against anyone whom bid the first Challenger up to $400K. He said nothing about not buying it if it DIDN'T get bid to $400K. He bought it. Good for him.

To me, that's the best way for the guys with deep pockets to win they're little pissing contests with each other. Darrel was able to obtain approx. 1/2 million dollars in less than 20 minutes. God bless them all.

BTW: Me thinks this years auction saw a definite shift away from Mopar domination in record prices. Shelbys and Mustangs ruled the roost. And rightfully so. Those 429 Cammers are probably rarer than *most* Hemi cars.

John, I totally agree with you on this one. I watched Tony Stewart throw in a $25,000 gold and diamond ring he pulled right off his finger, at which point CJ donated the additional $25k. All for charity.

I have no problem with wealthy people unless/until they start stepping on my rights (that's another story for another thread :icon_smi: ). I do not believe in the re-distribution of wealth. I read somewhere once that the average millioniare works 70-80 hours a week and that they give up a lot in the pursuit of their dreams and their family's comfort. More power to them.

B-J auctions make for great "reality" TV.
It is also focused on muscle and American cars which is a refreshing change from antique & exotic Euro cars.
The TV camera effect is causing many to buy cars for much more than they can ever hope to re-sell them for. A few years ago I think it was a '67 Hemi B-body that was re-sold for a loss of $70,000 about 8 months after B-J TVfest.
I think the prices in the musle cars market are adjusting to reality, so there might have been a few deals... well as long as it didn't say Shelby.
I don't have a problem with someone spending their money anyway they see fit as long as it is legal.
If you don't like some one buying expensive cars you should see some of the crap and what it goes for at high end art auctions. You'd find it really disgusting - $100 $200 $300 million for really ugly crap, stuff that makes the Campbell's soup can look like art - makes a $2 million Hemi E-body cars look like a bargain!

Nothing wrong with them giving to charity, It just seems unfair to have to bid against the auctions owner. Isnt that the sane as shill bidding ?

I also didnt know the Challenger was for charity.

A good friend of mine stopped by yesterday afternoon and was watching the auction for a while with me. He just couldn't wrap his head around the $300K paid for the `32 Ford Roadster that was a documented race car with history. He said NO CAR is worth that much. Now mind you, when it comes to games played with sticks and balls he's an authority and will argue long and loud over trival stats. Wanna know how I put it in perspective for him? I told him that to me, the record setting Barry Bonds home run ball is still worth the $12-15 bucks it sold for at a sporting good store. Just as he was about to rant, I stopped him and said "Welcome to MY hobby..."

People pay what people will pay. Car...baseball...winning team Jersey...painting...sculpture...whatever.

What would YOU pay for this model car kit?
OriginalHUG-vi.jpg

OriginalHUG1-vi.jpg

OriginalHUG2-vi.jpg

Any one care to take a guess? This is an original issue AMT `65 Hurst Hemi under Glass 1/25 plastic model kit, un-built in mint condition. I scored this 3 yrs. ago after lusting for one to fill out my Hemi under Glass collection. Go ahead...take a guess.

Kinda like when my brother bought $300 worth of comic books. I thought he was crazy for a few minutes. Then I thought about what I put in to cars. I think Im crazier then he is.

Nothing wrong with them giving to charity, It just seems unfair to have to bid against the auctions owner. Isnt that the sane as shill bidding ?

I also didnt know the Cahllenger was for charity.

A shill bidder never intends to pay for the item, they are there only to jack up the price. If they somehow screw up and get the high bid, the next highest bidder is approched and offered the item (although they can refuse it and can't be forced to pay). If the next highest bidder doesn't want it, it's stored until the next auction. This is highly illegal and will destroy the rep of any auction house. I only know this as one of my sisters owns an antique shop and attends auctions regularly.

As long as it's a charity item, CJ can bid whatever he wants in my book. If it wasn't a charity item and they "Sold It!!, Sold It!!, Sold It!!," immediately after his bid, it would be illegal and he would lose his rep.

I work in the sales and acquisition of antiques, mostly furniture. Each year a group of us antiquers pack our sh*t and head up to Crumpton ,Maryland where we buy and sell. As a group we cover each other so that if what we are selling doesn`t make what we want, one of the group will buy it. That way we are only out of 10% of the sale price ,(the auctioneers commission) not the deficit in what we wanted for the item and what it sold for. I understand protecting your investment. In the BJ case if their not screwing anybody and they want a tax write-off or truely are giving all of it to charity ,then more power to them. One of those philanthropic tycoons of old once said that a man should never die rich.

.....we cover each other so that if what we are selling doesn`t make what we want, one of the group will buy it. That way we are only out of 10% of the sale price ,(the auctioneers commission) not the deficit in what we wanted for the item and what it sold for.

That has to be the case with B-J too. I'm sure the owner of that Torino Talledega did just that. Better to eat $4K in fees than to loose the car at a $50K hit.

think the car market topped out last year, seems like almost everything went a little cheaper this year:D

think the car market topped out last year, seems like almost everything went a little cheaper this year:D

Even my Wife made that observation. While she's hardly the authority on car prices, she just remembers being appalled more often last year over insane prices paid. I think people realize prices can't climb forever and are being conservative. Like Adam mentioned, those Hemi E bodies struggled to crack $100K.

EVERYBODY can't make money forever.

-
Back