TorqueFlite Burnouts

-
I start in second gear then shift to 3rd. Burn outs are about wheel speed and putting heat into the tire. Cant do that with a first gear burnout.

The sprag failure isnt necessarily due to the outer race tearing loose, although this is possible. More commonly the sprag roller(s) migrate beyond their pocket, into the next. Once this happens the locking force is gone and the inner race can rotate, allowing the drum to overspeed and explode. A bolt in sprag wont prevent this. A sprag with more rolling elements is better.

Here is a pic from a running 727 that I tore down that was behind a stock 318 poly its whole life. You can see the finger spring retainers are bent and one of the rollers has migrated. This is the start of a failure.

IMG_20170522_141808.jpg

IMG_20170522_141815.jpg

The sprag failure isnt necessarily due to the outer race tearing loose, although this is possible. More commonly the sprag roller(s) migrate beyond their pocket, into the next. Once this happens the locking force is gone and the inner race can rotate, allowing the drum to overspeed and explode. A bolt in sprag wont prevent this. A sprag with more rolling elements is better.

Here is a pic from a running 727 that I tore down that was behind a stock 318 poly its whole life. You can see the finger spring retainers are bent and one of the rollers has migrated. This is the start of a failure.

View attachment 1715082150

View attachment 1715082151
Very good post. Bravo

Duane, the far example, in the picture, says that it is a alu./steel.

d55dave, the case is cracked.
Yes. It was scrapped, the trans was used for parts to build a big block 65 vintage trans.

I removed the outer race and it appeared undamaged. I don't know if the crack was there from the time the race was originally pressed in or as a result of whatever caused the sprag to roll over. Everything else in the trans appeared normal.

Duane, the far example, in the picture, says that it is a alu./steel.
Doh I have to start looking at my own posts lol. Did not even notice it. In my view that is the one to get if it is reliable. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Yes. It was scrapped, the trans was used for parts to build a big block 65 vintage trans.

I removed the outer race and it appeared undamaged. I don't know if the crack was there from the time the race was originally pressed in or as a result of whatever caused the sprag to roll over. Everything else in the trans appeared normal.
To me those photos and your explanation of the two distinct types of roller clutch failures are one of the best explanations I have seen.
It also explains that even a 904 while not as explosion prone, can still fail the roller clutch and you have a broken transmission.
Low band apply valve bodies and upgraded roller clutches are imho wise purchases for a performance torqueflite of either version. An aftermarket drum with a higher explosion rating is also wise just in case all else fails.
I also re read the exploding torqueflite post and noted that the drum rpm on a failed sprag is engine rpm multiplied by the first gear ratio.
So if your torqueflite has a 2.74 low gear, it is much easier to get the drum to its rpm limit. Most articles I have read claim it is engine rpm multiplied by 2.2

To me those photos and your explanation of the two distinct types of roller clutch failures are one of the best explanations I have seen.
It also explains that even a 904 while not as explosion prone, can still fail the roller clutch and you have a broken transmission.
Low band apply valve bodies and upgraded roller clutches are imho wise purchases for a performance torqueflite of either version. An aftermarket drum with a higher explosion rating is also wise just in case all else fails.
I also re read the exploding torqueflite post and noted that the drum rpm on a failed sprag is engine rpm multiplied by the first gear ratio.
So if your torqueflite has a 2.74 low gear, it is much easier to get the drum to its rpm limit. Most articles I have read claim it is engine rpm multiplied by 2.2
Thanks for the compliment Duane.

You know, it is amazing to me that all of that rotating mass inside an automatic has very little keeping it all aligned and centered. There is the slip yoke at the back (provided the bushing isnt worn and you have proper yoke engagement), the one ball bearing in the tail shaft, the direct drum suppprted by bushings on the back of the stator and the nose of the input supported in the torque converter.....provided your eng to trans alignment is good. I really am amazed that none of this vibrates.

When you load the rolling elememts into the sprag it becomes apparent how much that inner race can move around. If you twist it and push it to one side the rollers will allow if to move way off center. I believe this happens due to case distortion and the internals moving around under torque, and the rollers then jump pockets and the sprag fails...

Just my opinion though.

Thanks for the compliment Duane.

You know, it is amazing to me that all of that rotating mass inside an automatic has very little keeping it all aligned and centered. There is the slip yoke at the back (provided the bushing isnt worn and you have proper yoke engagement), the one ball bearing in the tail shaft, the direct drum suppprted by bushings on the back of the stator and the nose of the input supported in the torque converter.....provided your eng to trans alignment is good. I really am amazed that none of this vibrates.

When you load the rolling elememts into the sprag it becomes apparent how much that inner race can move around. If you twist it and push it to one side the rollers will allow if to move way off center. I believe this happens due to case distortion and the internals moving around under torque, and the rollers then jump pockets and the sprag fails...

Just my opinion though.
I am not a trans, man at all. Have had an explosion in the old hemi car back in the day. But that rear sprag set up looks like a piece of crap and weak, poorly designed ton start with.

I am not a trans, man at all. Have had an explosion in the old hemi car back in the day. But that rear sprag set up looks like a piece of crap and weak, poorly designed ton start with.
It works fine for its intended usage. Burn outs were not its intended useage, nor trans brakes and wheelies. Lol
I would hope that this thread will save some people from a torqueflite explosion through education.

If you are at the drag strip and are on slick. Drive threw the water box and stop so that the pavement is still wet in front of the rear tire. put it in first and rev high enough that when you put it in 2nt that it shifts. Now either feather the throttle back out or stay in it until it grabs. This is all decided on how big your slick is and how much power you have.

When i had my 340 in my car (Manual shift valve body) take of in 2nt, hit 6000 rpm, shift into high gear. it would quit spinning, then i would let of the gas and stage the car.

With my 408 i do the same process but now i have enough power to keep it spinning in High Gear past the Christmas Tree.
You use up a slick real fast that way.
So now after i hit high gear and i see smoke from my back tire i release my line lock and roll the throttle back to idle.

What brakes the sprags is shock loads. like revving it up in first gear and then just lifting the throttle or push in the clutch. There is no load, so when the tire grabs traction, there is all that slack to JACK HAMMER THAT SPRAG. Same thing happens when you bust a u-joint or drive shaft.

But you don't know it is broken until you leave the line.............and if your lucking it only destroys your car. bad luck it take of you leg at the ankle.
The Sprag fail cause the cast iron Drum to over speed, fractures, and then come out like bullet from a machine gun. Big iron sharp shrapnel Bullets!!!!!!!!

As far as a standard street tire and a dry burn out, you wont usually be spinning the tire to 100 mph and then instantly grabbing traction, like a slick will do........it can still happen but the odds are a lot more in you favor on the street.

There's nothing WRONG with a stone stock 727. NOTHING. All you have to do if you decide to do a burnout is DO NOT let it hook up on the 1-2 shift. That's the killer. As long as it stays spinning into 2nd gear, it will never, ever have a problem. Stone stock, with NO manual valve body, NO bolt in sprag, nothing. It's all in knowing how to or more importantly how not to drive one. That's all.

I've been racing 727 TF for over 20 years and have never had a transmission failure. I remember reading years ago Paul Forte of Turbo Action recommended starting burnouts in second gear and shifting to third before coming out of the water. That's been my procedure for all the years I've been racing and have never had any issues to date, knock on wood!

Burnout in 2nd with either engine.... or either trans for that matter.

I wouldn’t run a 727 on the track without a billet drum..... you do what you want!

simple mopar math 727<904 :)

727. If I blip the throttle when tires are in the water I do that in 1st gear. Then start burnout in 2nd, go immediately to 3rd and finish the burnout in 3rd.
About 5000-5500 rpm. I NEVER downshift to 1st for any reason burnout or otherwise.

727. If I blip the throttle when tires are in the water I do that in 1st gear. Then start burnout in 2nd, go immediately to 3rd and finish the burnout in 3rd.
About 5000-5500 rpm. I NEVER downshift to 1st for any reason burnout or otherwise.
So, if I'm driving a 727 with a shift kit, stock vavle Bobby, on the street, dont downshift to 1st gear ever? 74 duster , around 400 ho 340, 2200 stall, 4:10.

Here’s the results of my friends FRESH 727 in his small block Indy headed street strip transmissions after a few street trips doing a few things a car that runs 10.30’s shouldn’t do. My son pulled the transmission for him and another friend and I tore it apart yesterday afternoon. Metal from the drum contaminated all the clutches so it need s new drum, band, and clutches. This is the lip that holds the spring retainer.
A1151DD1-0FAC-4F23-9879-793722025899.jpeg
5A020E71-E8C8-4084-9D2E-1D9A1D958958.jpeg
74FE3D80-6E37-42AF-B2E4-6355608687B1.jpeg

Holy ****! Where's the pic of the guy beating the dead horse? On manual valve bodies: start in 2nd. Stone stock valve bodies: listen to RRR!!

-
Back