Trans is in.

-
Cliff it's real hard to tell from the video and it doing it in neutral worse is really odd but pulling the access cover would be the 1st thing I'd do too. Look for shiny marks like Green said. If something is rubbing it'll shine things up real good. If you don't find a problem leave the access cover off and put the starter back on and try it and see if it still does it.

btw: I assume you used the correct torque converter bolts? Standard 5/16" bolts have a thicker head than the original converter bolts and can hit the access cover.

Cliff it's real hard to tell from the video and it doing it in neutral worse is really odd but pulling the access cover would be the 1st thing I'd do too. Look for shiny marks like Green said. If something is rubbing it'll shine things up real good. If you don't find a problem leave the access cover off and put the starter back on and try it and see if it still does it.

btw: I assume you used the correct torque converter bolts? Standard 5/16" bolts have a thicker head than the original converter bolts and can hit the access cover.

We reused the tq bolts. Should I have bought new ones?

The bolts should be fine as long as they are TQ converter bolts

We will pull the small inspection cover tomorrow. I will report what we find or don't find. Thanks Everyone

The bolts should be fine as long as they are TQ converter bolts

Agreed. I generally only replace them if it's a high performance application over 300 hp. I'm real picky though. Some guys run used bolts forever even in a high horsepower application.

Yeah I just have a stock 318 and the only mod was a Eddy 600 and electronic ignition swap from the lean burn.

One thing Cliff,
I have always just pushed on the inspection cover with my finger while the car is running.
Push on one side, the center, and the other side of the ispection cover and if it's a bolt hitting the cover the noise will change immediatly.
Then you know for sure that it;s a bolt hitting the cover.

Also just so you know, these covers are REALLY sensitive about clearance and are sometimes really picky about small warpages.

Everything you describes points to a bolt hitting it.

It only takes a very slight amount of pressure on the cover to make the noise get really pronounced.

Converters swell just a little under a load and this is why it changes when in different gear positions.

I'm sure Fishy68 would agree.

One thing Cliff,
I have always just pushed on the inspection cover with my finger while the car is running.
Push on one side, the center, and the other side of the ispection cover and if it's a bolt hitting the cover the noise will change immediatly.

Also just so you know, these covers are REALLY sensitive about clearance and are sometimes really picky about small warpages.

It only takes a very slight amount of pressure on the cover to make the noise get really pronounced.

Converters swell just a little under a load and this is why it changes when in different gear positions.

I have a errand to run this morning. Then it's going up on my jack stands to check it. I did forget to ask a question. Is it safe to run without the inspection plate (the big one) if that is the problem?

I have a errand to run this morning. Then it's going up on my jack stands to check it. I did forget to ask a question. Is it safe to run without the inspection plate (the big one) if that is the problem?

Yes it is safe to run it without it, but only for as long as necessary.
Anything can get in there any time and get in the way of the seal lip causing a leak and/or damge to the seal.
You may never have a problem with it, or it may get a leaf or something in the seal and cause it to leak,

Mine is not on yet, but I have one,:D
Just waiting for good oportunity to put it on.

If this is where your noise is, you will want to THEN look for the spot it's hitting, tweak it a little and try it again until there is no contact between them.
Sometimes it takes a few tries to get it to clear.

One thing Cliff,

Yep. Totally agree. I put one together once that had a small dimple in the cover and it hit. There's not much clearance there. Good idea pushing on the cover to see if the noise changes.

I too have known guys that run theirs without a access cover and had no problems but like lonewolf think it's better to run one to keep dust out.

I too have known guys that run theirs without a access cover and had no problems but like lonewolf think it's better to run one to keep dust out.

Eventually, the dust will trash the seal and it'll leak.
Just a matter of time. (Sometimes a long time)

I don't have one on mine yet, since it was gone when I got the car.
Since then I got one, but am waiting till I need to get under it for something else and then put it on. (Since you have to pull the starter to do it) :D

Eventually, the dust will trash the seal and it'll leak.
Just a matter of time. (Sometimes a long time)

I don't have one on mine yet, since it was gone when I got the car.
Since then I got one, but am waiting till I need to get under it for something else and then put it on. (Since you have to pull the starter to do it) :D

Tomorrow we will pull the plate and see if it's straight if not maybe we can flatten it back out.

Man I wish we had 40 degree temps to work in. It has only been in the mid 20's here. I gotta have one heck of a good reason to work out in these temps, LOL

Suppose to be warn tomorrow so it should be a good say to work outside. The chance I had yesterday was blown out of the water.

All that cold weather is heading our way with nasty frozen rain, Good luck and I hope this is behind you soon :happy1:

-
Back