Trans is in.

-

Old Tired Rebel

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
78 Cordoba with a 83 904 lock up
I have gotten the trans done today and filled it with fluid. Took it out on aa test run it drove great and shifted fine. I had one noise that was bothering me. To me sounds like something is hitting the inspection plate. Maybe someone here can confirm this?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-diAPs4Hf5c"]new trans in the Doba - YouTube[/ame]

weird. are you sure the flexplate bolts are tight?

They are suppose to be torqued. My son is going to pull the inspection plate out. and recheck everything. I don't know what else it could be it's full of fluids and it shifts great.

I can't hear it. But my speaker is the size of my pinky finger nail too lol

Congrats on the upgrade though! I bet the gas mileage will skyrocket

Can't hear, camera picking up too much header noise. If it is erractic; loose bolt hitting the cover, usually.

If it isn't obvious take a metal rod and move it around on the tranny to see if you can pin point the location. It either sounds like something is hitting or the torque convertor has a loose fin inside.

If it isn't obvious take a metal rod and move it around on the tranny to see if you can pin point the location. It either sounds like something is hitting or the torque convertor has a loose fin inside.

It doesn't do it in park and not that loud in gear but in neutral you can really hear it.

You would think in park and neutral it would sound the same. Under a load I would expect a change. It is linkage adjusted correctly?
not necessarily because we have to put these cars in neutral when checking the fluid level, which i believe is when the front pump working at its highest pressure. but im no trans guy lol. i really hope it isnt a pump issue

Maybe it is a detent issue. Did you flush the tranny lines?

not necessarily because we have to put these cars in neutral when checking the fluid level, which i believe the front pump working at its highest pressure. but im no trans guy lol. i really hope it isnt a pump issue

Yes, you are correct because the fluid isn't being pushed through the coller lines while in park.

Since you pulled a bad tranny you may have some plugged up lines full of trash and the pump is pumping against it. We had a ton of problems with the later Dodge truck trannys with the check ball they put in the tranny cooler in the radiator.

Bill it was all pulled and flushed before going back in.

Glad to hear its in Cliff! Hope you get the noise figured out and it's a simple fix.

kickdown is throttle pressure. as you give it gas , it increases line pressure.
Detent:
To arrest movement, the method commonly employs a small gravity or spring-actuated lever paired with a notched wheel. The lever is mounted on a pivot point in proximity to the wheel (so that the end cannot swing completely around) and comes into contact with it at a tangential angle less than 90 degrees

kickdown is throttle pressure. as you give it gas , it increases line pressure.
Detent:
To arrest movement, the method commonly employs a small gravity or spring-actuated lever paired with a notched wheel. The lever is mounted on a pivot point in proximity to the wheel (so that the end cannot swing completely around) and comes into contact with it at a tangential angle less than 90 degrees

Oh ok. Must be thinking of something else

Been there... the front pump doesn't run in park, only neutral and in gear. Pull the plate, look for shiney marks, look at the bolts, and see which one has a shiney head.

Been there... the front pump doesn't run in park, only neutral and in gear. Pull the plate, look for shiney marks, look at the bolts, and see which one has a shiney head.

Plan to do that tomorrow

-
Back