Trans noise?

-

moparman72

Reaction score
Have noise in 833 4sp trans over 30 mph.Below that speed no noise.Trans was completely rebuilt by professional shop.What the heck!!!????

Are you sure it is trans? have you ran it through other gears and neutral to see if it goes away? if so, maybe a bearing? I know 1st will whine but you probably arent in first at that speed or getting ready to shift out.

If you're sure it's the transmission, take the car back to the trans shop or have them come over and let them hear it for themselves.
And, I hate to say this, but I have to ask- when you got it back from the rebuilder and installed it, you did fill it with trans lube, right? I've seen it happen...

A bad throw out bearing will make noise when you are pushing the clutch pedal down..

I had bad cluster shaft bearings and it made noise in every gear and in neutral with the clutch out because the cluster is connected to the input shaft. In neutral w/ the clutch released raise the rpm and see if it makes any noise.

I had bad cluster shaft bearings and it made noise in every gear and in neutral with the clutch out because the cluster is connected to the input shaft. In neutral w/ the clutch released raise the rpm and see if it makes any noise.
Is that "all those rollers " that you need a dummy shaft for? I wonder if a few or one is missing...it would be easy for a builder to do, lose/forget one upon assembly... but it would be found on the bench or floor at some point...

Is that "all those rollers " that you need a dummy shaft for? I wonder if a few or one is missing...it would be easy for a builder to do, lose/forget one upon assembly... but it would be found on the bench or floor at some point...

Yes that is it, mine was so bad it wiped out the shaft and the gear.

Yes that is it, mine was so bad it wiped out the shaft and the gear.
also they could be just shot pitted flats on them. I would think a good kit from brewers would have new rollers... but you are correct that shaft turns the whole time even in neutral I think...

Maybe I missed it, but what kind of "noise" are you hearing? Rotational, grinding, squeal, etc? If it is speed related, does it make this noise when going 30+mph with the clutch in?

So, with the clutch in and still making the noise, I wonder if it is the transmission at all. If it makes noise at a certain speed or above, regardless of clutch in or out, or neutral or in gear, it sounds to me like it may be elsewhere in the car.

I had a friend bring his 68 Camaro over one time. Just drove 30mph for 20 miles due to a knock at 40mph. After trying everything, it was solely dependent on that speed. Found the windshield trim was loose - 40mph and above made it vibrate and "knock". He grabbed the trim and ripped it off and threw it. Then continued on his 500mile trip without issue. Just thinking out loud. I had a crazy squeak/squeal in my Demon on Sunday for the first time ever. Found a bad wheel bearing.

Could be as simple as a ujoint going bad. It is worth looking. You also just had the driveshaft out with the trans. If a cap is siezing, it could squeal bad at certain mph also

-
Back