Trick Flow small block heads

-
I wish mine ran that good.. thin air and tuning issues plagued me last year.. pretty close build wise aside from the cam.

Buddy that i mentioned a while ago finally got his 12 to 1 ish Trick flow stroker out on the street for a little testing. Still has some odds and ends to finish up, wiring and such
Car weighs about 3100 with driver, maybe a hair lighter. 264/268 flat tappet, 727, victor, 750 carb
They previously had a 440 in the car that ran 10.40’s
After driving it around now, he says it feels stouter.
Will see in the next few weeks at the track. Hard to tell on the street, but having driven the car both ways... interesting observation

Congrats on the killer times! We should see some more trick flow builds soon I hope
I’m hoping by fall/winter to do my upgrade from 410 w/EQ’s, Air Gap, and small .517” hydraulic to the TF’s, M1 single, low .600” lift solid and looser converter I have in the waiting. Does pretty well et/mph as it sits now considering my aero disadvantage, no idea on estimated or hoped for improvements in the 1/4 after being upgraded. May open up a can of traction worms but will see.

Very nice pickup almost a second. Does the stroker have much more compression compared to your old setup.

Guy i have always trusted/ respected a ton, Ken Hensley, Hensley performance, built me a 416 stroker shortblock long time ago... probably better than 20 years ago now.
I remember asking him if you had say a 340/360 and swapped heads, cam etc over to a stroker, how much is it worth at the track. He told me, all things being the same, 3 or 4 tenths. Never forgot that.
Regards the OP, and his large gain, besides the extra cubes, the BIG thing that jumps out is going from stock eddies to Trick Flows. Just a guess, but i wouldn't be the least surprised If there was 60 horse difference between just the two sets of heads, msybe a bit more. That and the inches is a lot

Guy i have always trusted/ respected a ton, Ken Hensley, Hensley performance, built me a 416 stroker shortblock long time ago... probably better than 20 years ago now.
I remember asking him if you had say a 340/360 and swapped heads, cam etc over to a stroker, how much is it worth at the track. He told me, all things being the same, 3 or 4 tenths. Never forgot that.
Regards the OP, and his large gain, besides the extra cubes, the BIG thing that jumps out is going from stock eddies to Trick Flows. Just a guess, but i wouldn't be the least surprised If there was 60 horse difference between just the two sets of heads, msybe a bit more. That and the inches is a lot
I totally agree. Port volume and a better designed port alone. At the time the Eddie's came out all they had to be was better than stock (street bolt on head wise). And they were, slightly.

I have no complaints with Edelbrock heads. Curtis Boggs did mine and they went 6.57 @ 104 with a 1.38 60' in a 3260# street/strip Dart. The engine was 408", 10.8-1 with a 236/242 @ .050 flat solid, 727, 4.10 gears running pump 93.

My current 434 with ported Indy heads and intake, 700" lift solid roller has only gone 6.40 @ 109 with a 1.40 60' @ 3350# on pump 93. I'm hoping the new converter will get my 60' down where it needs to be and put me down in the low 6.30's. That .2 has cost me a hell of a lot of money.

I have no complaints with Edelbrock heads. Curtis Boggs did mine and they went 6.57 @ 104 with a 1.38 60' in a 3260# street/strip Dart. The engine was 408", 10.8-1 with a 236/242 @ .050 flat solid, 727, 4.10 gears running pump 93.

My current 434 with ported Indy heads and intake, 700" lift solid roller has only gone 6.40 @ 109 with a 1.40 60' @ 3350# on pump 93. I'm hoping the new converter will get my 60' down where it needs to be and put me down in the low 6.30's. That .2 has cost me a hell of a lot of money.

you should take it somewhere where you can make a full pass. Might be surprised on the backend. 5 MPH is a ton in the 1/8

Don
I'm thinking about bringing it to Bowling Green on Saturday to see what it'll do in the 1/4. It's actually set up better for the 1/4 than the 1/8. It needs a 4.88 or 5.13 for the 1/8 but I drive it so the 4.10 will do.

Don
I'm thinking about bringing it to Bowling Green on Saturday to see what it'll do in the 1/4. It's actually set up better for the 1/4 than the 1/8. It needs a 4.88 or 5.13 for the 1/8 but I drive it so the 4.10 will do.

made tons of gear changes on different stuff and never seen much of anything at all doing so.
4.10/4.30 gear should be plenty with a good convertor to race it either way.... just my opinion, especially with a stroker crank.... assuming you dont have a big tire

saw they had T&T Saturday. Cool deal

made tons of gear changes on different stuff and never seen much of anything at all doing so.
4.10/4.30 gear should be plenty with a good convertor to race it either way.... just my opinion, especially with a stroker crank.... assuming you dont have a big tire

315/50, 28". You're probably right on the gear. My 340 only picked up .04 going from 3.91 to 4.30's. The pick up was in 60' and carried it through the 1/8.

315/50, 28". You're probably right on the gear. My 340 only picked up .04 going from 3.91 to 4.30's. The pick up was in 60' and carried it through the 1/8.

Found out the hard way. Most any small block, they like avoiding high gear in a three speed. 1 to 1 doesn't accelerate as quick.... lol...
My Little pooch motor i am running right now, had howling 4.10’s in it, swapped in 4.30’s thing hates getting put into high gear quicker... longer distance to cover
Want some 1/4 time slips buddy. Cool you are getting to leg her out

Found out the hard way. Most any small block, they like avoiding high gear in a three speed. 1 to 1 doesn't accelerate as quick.... lol...
My Little pooch motor i am running right now, had howling 4.10’s in it, swapped in 4.30’s thing hates getting put into high gear quicker... longer distance to cover
Want some 1/4 time slips buddy. Cool you are getting to leg her out

I'm looking forward to meeting you and looking over your Dart. I'll hide my junk, LOL.

I'm looking forward to meeting you and looking over your Dart. I'll hide my junk, LOL.

wish you would bring your car.
My Dart is a pooch. Gettin old bro, dont like bending over the hood
Maybe in the offseason i will put my real motor in it, just keep puttin it off. Now that the hip is good, giving it serious thought now though....lol
Still wont run like your does. Either put these real mild eddies on it just to get in the 10’s, or at most trickflows.Flattop 418

wish you would bring your car.
My Dart is a pooch. Gettin old bro, dont like bending over the hood
Maybe in the offseason i will put my real motor in it, just keep puttin it off. Now that the hip is good, giving it serious thought now though....lol
Still wont run like your does. Either put these real mild eddies on it just to get in the 10’s, or at most trickflows.Flattop 418

I understand, 59 here.

Trick flow heads and the cam are in my stock bottom end 360. Cam is a Bullet custom grind 251/254@.050 solid flat tappet and 1.6 rollers from Mancini total .624 lift. Engine needs to be finished up for the run stand. Picking up a Cope Racing 904 today or tomorrow and waiting on the Ultimate 5200 stall converter. Hoping it'll cook down the 1/4

We'll see how mine does at altitude now that I have a wideband. Last year I guess i was running SUPER lean, even though plugs looked decent. (By decent I mean they didn't completely melt).
408, 11.75:1
Trickflow heads
Super Vic
Howard's solid roller 257/267 .640/.645
4.30, 4800 stall converter (not built for this combo).
It didn't run that great last year. With all the tuning issues I had, but not bad for the elevation.

We'll see how mine does at altitude now that I have a wideband. Last year I guess i was running SUPER lean, even though plugs looked decent. (By decent I mean they didn't completely melt).
408, 11.75:1
Trickflow heads
Super Vic
Howard's solid roller 257/267 .640/.645
4.30, 4800 stall converter (not built for this combo).
It didn't run that great last year. With all the tuning issues I had, but not bad for the elevation.

You going to top gun next weekend?

I made it to the track this weekend with my Valiant wagon that has a 408 with Trick Flow heads. It was a struggle and never made a clean pass. It went 6.57 @ 104.5 mph. Race weight is 3450 and was thru the exhaust. Will need to work on the fuel and ignition problems and get it back to the track. Hopefully the weather will be better the next time too. It 92 degrees and very humid.

Did get a slo mo video of the launch.

Last edited:
wow, very cool! Could run low 10s when sorted out? I like it!!

Michael

Hopefully.
When I was building the engine for the car I was thinking it should run 10.30's Get all the bugs worked out I think it will see it.

-
Back