Truck Dana 60

-

o1heavy

1974 dart sport
Reaction score
getting my truck Dana 60 ready for my dart
So far things are looking pretty straight forward should have done this a long time ago
But I do have one question that is a little fuzzy to me
Why can't I center the chunk
I understand the u-joint needs a angle to spin the needles but
That can be done with the pinion angle
Also the engine and trans are not in the center of the engine compartment
Thanks

IMG_1202.JPG

Yes everything is like an inch and 3/16 towards the passenger side. Doctor dif explained all that to me when I chatted with him one day.

So far things are looking pretty straight forward should have done this a long time ago
Thanks

View attachment 1715101056

Yes everything is like an inch and 3/16 towards the passenger side. Doctor dif explained all that to me when I chatted with him one day.
I'm gonna call him tomorrow
I tried today they must be closed on Monday

I get the feeling there's no "they" I think it's just Cass, but in the few times I have called he ether answered or called back if I left my #.
I guess I'm like Columbo but I'm forgetful and "just one more thing" He answered all my uneducated questions and left me well- more educated. Even when I called a month later when I actually had the $$ he walked me back through everything. Have a friend I walked through this and says he's only into his 4.56 spooled D60 $850.

I get the feeling there's no "they" I think it's just Cass, but in the few times I have called he ether answered or called back if I left my #.
I guess I'm like Columbo but I'm forgetful and "just one more thing" He answered all my uneducated questions and left me well- more educated. Even when I called a month later when I actually had the $$ he walked me back through everything. Have a friend I walked through this and says he's only into his 4.56 spooled D60 $850.

i like the small business part
and do plan on using him for sure
I actually had the 60 in a 66 dodge 3/4 ton
just didn't realize it till I decided not to spend money my 8 3/4 started looking for a 9 inch and just looked under the truck and sure enough it was a sixty
850 for a bullet proof rear that should not need any attention
is a no brainer for me

Last edited:
Keep in mind truck rears are not drilled for a pinion snubber.
Not sure if you can tap the case for one, never tried.

The PINION is what needs to be centered. Not the chunk.....if that makes sense.

The PINION is what needs to be centered. Not the chunk.....if that makes sense.
Sigh..... I have had ,friends narrow rear ends,with the best of craftmanship,...then they didn't do basic measures and math.....

So just move the pinion to the right a inch or so I understand
Im just not fully understanding why exactly
Other then rotating the needle bearings in the u-joint
But I'm sure "cass" will line me out

Thanks

View attachment 1715101056
Man my shop looks like crap

"I" would not mis-align the driveshaft laterally. I think it's important it follows the center line of the car as closely as possible. At least, that's how I would build it. Plenty of vehicles have unequal length axles and were designed that way and work just fine.

So just move the pinion to the right a inch or so I understand
Im just not fully understanding why exactly
Other then rotating the needle bearings in the u-joint
But I'm sure "cass" will line me out

I asked the same question to a guy that builds axles at the Mopar Nationals. His reply was that he had talked to a Chrysler engineer and he told him that the reason it was offset was to preload the pinion.

The whole power train is offset to the pass side because there needs to be room for steering box and column. Kim

Which corresponds perfectly with the offset pinion on that Dana above. Because remember, the truck housings sit under the leaf springs.

Pass side needs to be 1 3/8 inch shorter than drivers to get pinion in proper mopar offset location.
this reminded me of the old hemi car. we put a shortened dana 60 in it when we started blowing 8 3/4`s every other week end. We put equal length axles, 31 spline strange axles, 5:38 gears, w/ a spool. It ran that configuration for about 10 yrs, and was still that way w/ no problems. The car weighed over 3600 ponds too.

this reminded me of the old hemi car. we put a shortened dana 60 in it when we started blowing 8 3/4`s every other week end. We put equal length axles, 31 spline strange axles, 5:38 gears, w/ a spool. It ran that configuration for about 10 yrs, and was still that way w/ no problems. The car weighed over 3600 ponds too.

When i took my truck Dana to Mosier for narrowing, they ask me if I wanted the standard Mopar offset... I cant remember the exact measurement ...
I welded some square stock to it first for a snubber....

My Cuda Dana 60 001.jpg

Dana 60 resized0008.jpg

yeah the offset is just centering the driveshaft in the tunnel
not a must

-
Back