Turning up the wick.

-

viperredduster

Reaction score
I feel that my car will run an 11.99 with whats in my sig. It has trapped in a 1/4 at 110 but with a worse 60' now that I got the 60' times down I think it will do it. So all this wanting to go faster has got me thinking. How much would I notice in the times with a stroker kit (408), larger cam maybe roller to match heads, ported eddy heads to the max, and pump gas friendly compression.

Would tens be possible on pump gas and not spending over 5k? NO NITROUS!

I have one of those MP 363 short blocks in my car, flat tappet cam (.672 lift though) and W5 heads lightly ported with 2.02/1.60 valves. My Duster weighed about the same as yours and ran 10.70's all day long with this combo. The Scamp weighs 2600 race ready.

I have one of those MP 363 short blocks in my car, flat tappet cam (.672 lift though) and W5 heads lightly ported with 2.02/1.60 valves. My Duster weighed about the same as yours and ran 10.70's all day long with this combo. The Scamp weighs 2600 race ready.

Good to hear. Do you think the eddys could live up to that? I was thinkin about shady dell doing the porting because I have only read positive things.

Good to hear. Do you think the eddys could live up to that? I was thinkin about shady dell doing the porting because I have only read positive things.

I recently talked to Ryan and we discussed the potential of Edelbrocks and he has guys in the NINES running them..10's should be no problem..my LIGHTLY work Edelbrocks put my "stock stroke"360 in the 11.70's.@111 and on my 416 11.0's@121..........

You're at around 370hp at the crank now and it's pushing 2980lbs to 110mph... To get another 10mph out of it, and do it hauling an additional 175lbs of steel cage, you'll need about 500hp at the crank. Is it hard? Nope. But you're basically rebuilding what you have. I dont think you'll reach it by simply re-honing and dropping in a crank with ported heads. Adding a decent crank, correctly machining the block, and the heads will eat up that $5K, leaving little for the cam, lifters, springs, pushrods, carb, or the cage and convertor... It's a big step looking at the whole picture. You've got the right base to start from. But a lot has to be upgraded or replaced. I would re-gear it. the longer stroke doesnt need the gear, and the engine doesnt need the rpm.

You can get into the 11's easy enough and to 11.49 you don't need a bar, after that you will but it's also going to be a concerted effort and the cars streetability will diminish greatly. You really need to decide if you want a 10 second race car or an 11 second street car. If you really want a 10 second street car than big cubes is the only way to do it, 450+ and even then street car is going to be a relative term.

The other option is of course forced induction of the supercharger or turbo type. This will get you there but the expense will be greater but so will the driveability.

You're at around 370hp at the crank now and it's pushing 2980lbs to 110mph... To get another 10mph out of it, and do it hauling an additional 175lbs of steel cage, you'll need about 500hp at the crank. Is it hard? Nope. But you're basically rebuilding what you have. I dont think you'll reach it by simply re-honing and dropping in a crank with ported heads. Adding a decent crank, correctly machining the block, and the heads will eat up that $5K, leaving little for the cam, lifters, springs, pushrods, carb, or the cage and convertor... It's a big step looking at the whole picture. You've got the right base to start from. But a lot has to be upgraded or replaced. I would re-gear it. the longer stroke doesnt need the gear, and the engine doesnt need the rpm.

I forgot to post race weight is about 3160 with me. What calculators did you use for the horsepower? Wallace Racing? I dont really want to cage it because its not a race car, but its not a daily driver either. I know where a 500ci indy motor and tranny is for sale for about 9k that pushed a big 67 coronet to 10.0s at 130+ on pump gas through mufflers on radials. This motor and tranny would put me in the mid 9s but I would have to buy a dana. I guess I am just weighing my options because if I could sell my motor and tranny for 5k then I would come out way ahead.

BTW I love the way your car looks, post some more pics please.

Thanks man. Here's what I have.

eebd136a.jpg

976f88a8.jpg

86c7f2b4.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwoSuT-B7pU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwoSuT-B7pU[/ame]
Video of my car at the local 500' track. It ran a 6.38 w/1.67 60' and 330' 4.90. Fast forward to 56 seconds to see my first run leaving at 2800 rpms. Fast forward to 1.51 to see my second run where I did this. I left at 3200 and the spider gears didnt like it.
dab1d742.jpg

I recently talked to Ryan and we discussed the potential of Edelbrocks and he has guys in the NINES running them..10's should be no problem..my LIGHTLY work Edelbrocks put my "stock stroke"360 in the 11.70's.@111 and on my 416 11.0's@121..........

What cam did you use on the 416? And that is good to hear so I wont have to buy the new heads just get mine worked on.

If you dont want to follow the safety rules, don't bother going faster than 11.49...

If you dont want to follow the safety rules, don't bother going faster than 11.49...

A stock 2009 Viper has gone in the 10s off the showroom floor with a good driver...

I prob would cage it later IF it ran that fast, but not before. The car lives on the street and sees a track maybe 10 times a year. I am not building some purpose built race car just a pump gas street car that is good at what it does.

She's a beauty, love the black hood. Are those Cragar rims? And, anything that can do that to a rear-end is running well enough to impress me!

She's a beauty, love the black hood. Are those Cragar rims? And, anything that can do that to a rear-end is running well enough to impress me!

They are billet specialties and thank you. I thought the gloss black would look better than the flat black like plymouth did back in the day. And I cant wait to get my rear back together with the spool and turn up the two step and get some new numbers.

First off it does run as good as it looks. Awesome car, great stance, perfect wheels and offset, and great color. Second have you thought of going to a low geared 904 (999) trans? I put one in my low 12 second Dart and went mid 11s right away with 5 more mph. Its a heavy street car that weighs 3460 with me in it. The 904 was built by Protrans and has lived on the street with stock internals for years. Just a thought you would probably have $1,000 in the swap. Seriously I had no idea that it would pick up 5 tenths and 5 mph and if you told me that I would have laughed at you. When I saw my first timeslip I about fell over.

Firstoff...your car is beautiful..the cam in my 416 was a Lunati .533/.552 hyd. "voodoo" cam..what size tires are you running on the front??...

Before going and spending the big bucks,I,d take turbodarts advise about the lower first gear in your 904.It may get you .5 sec. off your time and keep you borderline without a cage(11.49)Guys,I chatted with viperedduster lastnight in Chat room,he,s only 19 yrs old and I,m sure Budget is a big word in this.(LOL)Your huge steps ahead of a bunch of us(older guys)with your great looking and fast ride!Good luck!:clock:

-
Back