Weight loss and perseverance

-
Is gluten free any better 4 u carb wise? Kim
If you are Gluten intolerant then you should avoid Gluten but there is no connection between carbs and Gluten. Gluten free bread has just as many carbs as regular bread.

Ok, thanks. I just know lots of ppl buy gluten free baking. Kim

Thank you Kim for asking/statement.
People jumping on the Gluten Free diet, has been a real problem for those with Celiac Disease (Gluten Intolerant).
It's NOT a fad diet. But many think it is and proceed to buy up Gluten Free bread, making it extremely hard for my wife and I to find it in the stores.
I have two daughters with Celiac Disease, one not so bad, and the other is hyper sensitive.
My oldest will have a violent response to just a pinch of gluten. Vomiting..
I'm NOT trying to jump on your head, Kim. But people need to know...
Gluten is found in 95% of hot dogs, as wheat and other Gluten ridden grains, is often times used as a filler.
Consider for a moment just how much wheat is used products found on the grocery shelves, and you will quickly see just how tough it can be to shop for someone with Celiac? Especially if they're picky!

People jumping on the Gluten Free diet, has been a real problem for those with Celiac Disease (Gluten Intolerant).
It's NOT a fad diet. But many think it is and proceed to buy up Gluten Free bread, making it extremely hard for my wife and I to find it in the stores.
I have two daughters with Celiac Disease, one not so bad, and the other is hyper sensitive.
Gluten is found in 95% of hot dogs, as wheat and other Gluten ridden grains, is often times used as a filler.
Consider for a moment just how much wheat is used products found on the grocery shelves, and you will quickly see just how tough it can be to shop for someone with Celiac? Especially if they're picky!
I use zero carb bread....don't know if it's Gluten free but I'm sure that somebody makes some?? It makes a super delicious Rueben sandwich.

I don’t do gluten free. Sorry to hear about ur daughters intolerance to gluten. I try to watch how many carbs I take in in a day. I try to watch my sugar intake as well. But some days that doesn’t happen because of different circumstances. I am a diabetic. I am on medication for it. Kim

What bread is that? Zero carb. I’ve never heard of it. Kim
Don't know about zero carb bread in Saskatchewan but here in the US there are a few companies producing it. Try typing in Zero carb bread in Saskatchewan??

Yes, there is a few brands up here. 2 hours away. Kim
It cost more than regular bread....but if it helps you live longer it's worth it?? I butter up the bread then put them in a hot pan and toast them a little then load the bread slices up with corn beef or Pastrami (thin sliced) and plenty of Swiss cheese. I grill (in a pan) meat and cheese (layered) in the pan until the cheese is all melted then throw it on the toasted zero carb bread with pickle slices and plenty spicey Mustard.....extra pickle spears on the side. After a few tries it came out super, super delicious. Best part is that it's basically ZERO carbs and very tasty!!! I was slobbering the last time I ate some cuz it was sooooo good..

I don’t do gluten free. Sorry to hear about ur daughters intolerance to gluten. I try to watch how many carbs I take in in a day. I try to watch my sugar intake as well. But some days that doesn’t happen because of different circumstances. I am a diabetic. I am on medication for it. Kim

Thank you Kim ! GF stuff is all too real in our house.
Glad to hear you're being retroactive with your Diabetes. My wife (in the medical field) used to do weekly Diabetic counseling, and it was amazing to hear how so many have fallen off of the wagon.
There are supplements (not medication) you can take that helps to stabilize insulin sensitivity, if you're interested?

I eat a sandwich at lunch with one slice of bread maybe all grain, or potato or ?? with a little ham or turkey. I can work outside all day pretty much, sweat out 5 gallons, and my weight never varies, always 185 and TOO fat in the belly. No I don't do beer maybe 1 a month. Just my age I guess, (72) but damn I get tired of my gut!!! Need to lose couple of inches.
Must be those few cookies and a little ice cream???????? O got to ave a little sweets but I keep telling my wife to stop buying the darn ice cream (must be 40% fat!)>> Damn Blue Belle.

Dam, that does sound tasty. Kim
When to sandwich juices run down your arm IT"S GOOD!! I don't like Sauerkraut myself but for those who do it should add another layer of flavor. Don't know if Sauerkraut contains carbs????? Never knew that zero carbs could taste so good.

Last edited:
I eat a sandwich at lunch with one slice of bread maybe all grain, or potato or ?? with a little ham or turkey. I can work outside all day pretty much, sweat out 5 gallons, and my weight never varies, always 185 and TOO fat in the belly. No I don't do beer maybe 1 a month. Just my age I guess, (72) but damn I get tired of my gut!!! Need to lose couple of inches.
Must be those few cookies and a little ice cream???????? O got to ave a little sweets but I keep telling my wife to stop buying the darn ice cream (must be 40% fat!)>> Damn Blue Belle.
One slice of bread is good, my wife just rolls up the cheese in sliced ham or chicken (no bread) with a pickle on the side.

Last edited:
Thank you Kim ! GF stuff is all too real in our house.
Glad to hear you're being retroactive with your Diabetes. My wife (in the medical field) used to do weekly Diabetic counseling, and it was amazing to hear how so many have fallen off of the wagon.
There are supplements (not medication) you can take that helps to stabilize insulin sensitivity, if you're interested?
Yupper, I sure am. Kim

A nice benefit (for me) from the weight loss is that I was able to stop taking my Actos after the first year of the journey when my a1c had dropped down to 6.1. It was 5.7 after the second year and now it is at 5.4 after the 3rd year. I’m not even “pre-diabetic” these days.

Full is coming on fast here now and time to update my Fall/Winter clothes. I cleaned out the closet for both shirts and jackets today. Half of the shirts have been put into the donation pile as well as most of my jackets. Hardly anything fits anymore and most of the jackets are like wearing tents now.

I ordered a few replacements in minimum numbers to get me through this Winter season. Just enough to get by until I see what size I am next year.

Yupper, I sure am. Kim

Chromium Picolonate - aids the body to control blood sugar levels
Berberine - same effect, with the bonus of helping to regulate Leptin levels too
Alpha Lipoic Acid - helps with weight loss and multiplies the effect of Berberine. (take with food!)
By far, the best thing you can do for yourself, is to take a 10 minute walk after every meal. Probably more effective than these supplements can offer on their own, but multiplied when taken.
Please, do your research! you need to know the in's and out's of these and any supplement you take.
Just so that you know... Doctors are not 'read-in' in the usage of most supplements. My wife is a Doctor, and we used to go round and round about the use of most of them. Mainly out of ignorance.
The greatest thing you can do for yourself, your spouse, children and grandchildren is take care of your body.
While my wife used to give me grief for taking so many supplements, she doesn't any longer. My skin is smother than hers, and I'm 5 yrs older.

I can say that being very physically active and eating right (guess that is relative) does not keep you from having heart disease or artery disease.
YOU have to be proactive and keep your eye on your own health and not assume your doc does!!!
I am amazed at age 72 just how many of my friends, classmates, have passed, many were in their 50's.

I can say that being very physically active and eating right (guess that is relative) does not keep you from having heart disease or artery disease.
YOU have to be proactive and keep your eye on your own health and not assume your doc does!!!
I am amazed at age 72 just how many of my friends, classmates, have passed, many were in their 50's.
Heart disease is related to blood pressure (among other things). Blood pressure (above normal) will cause damage to the inside walls of the arteries in the heart. The damage is usually repaired body by the body but sometimes the body will also make a patch on the damage using cholesterol and plaque floating in the blood. If you have high blood pressure it damages the arteries, if you have high cholesterol it increases the chances of the artery repair being patched with cholesterol instead of being properly repaired. Think of it like a pot hole in the street. It can be quickly patched which usually doesn't last long or they can completely replace the section of damaged area. This patch on the artery wall will grow and grow as more cholesterol attaches itself to the repair until the artery is closed off (heart attack). There can be many such patches in numerous arteries at one time (double, triple bypass). You can reverse this process but it takes a lot of work. You can also prevent this problem. I did it so I know it can be done with no surgery. High blood pressure can also cause a stroke!!

PS- The body requires vitamin C to help repair the arteries properly without cholesterol.........this is why sailors in the good days (1700s) died of scurvy. Without veggies or fruits on long cruises their arteries would have damage that couldn't be repaired, they literally internally bled to death. So.....plenty of Vit C and low Cholesterol along with exercise are very helpful.

Last edited:
^^^^I have never had high blood pressure but my cholesterol was high. I have always etngood food and stayed away from lots of fried food, and never ate at a McDonalds but a few times!!! Three years ago, I had 2 arteries 98 % blocked and another ? % blocked the result was a triple bypass right in middle of Harvey flood!
But at 72 beginnng to wear out! I take huge Statin pill, and blood thinner, and also a real small high blood pressure pill. My BP slighly higher than it had been all my life which was normal.
I am active as in busy all day with physical stuff but I hve a hard time getting up and down. I could walk 10 miles but if I sit down, all a crane!!!!
I could add oranges to my diet!!
Funny thing is I had an aunt that had cholesterol in the 400's and lived to 95 her heart just wore out!
I did 60 sit ups every morning till a colt threw me into the barn and fruted vertebra in my back and neck back 15-20 years ago.. Took a year to get over, and could do them after that. Gonna have to get suspenders!!!!!!

-
Back