What Are You Doing To/With Your Car Today?

-
I got my new bumper installed.

IMG_20210101_203048722.jpg

I’ve spent the last two days running a 3/8” fuel delivery and return line along with near tank filter. Was going to use aluminum thinking, nice looks, easy to bend and lightweight, thought about it some more and made up a sample line and decided to ditch that idea and go with stainless instead! Just wasn’t happy with the quality of flares I was getting and started thinking about cracking, work hardening and propensity for damage and dents. Hard work with the stainless though, had to fight it every inch of the way and to make things worse - no hoist! Grovelling around on the ground under my car definitely makes me feel my age. Anyway, glad to have it finished - now the new tank can go in. Spent a few days last month getting rid of the Aus(67 style) single strap system and installing a 68-69 twin strap system, bit of work in that I had to get creative with the front strap mounting system - in the end I went with a concealed mounting system within the bodywork above the top shock mounts. Basically involved drilling a 3/4 centre hole each side in line with the straps and a 5/16” hole 1.5” away either side of each centre hole, then inserted a 3/4 x 6” mounting plate that is threaded 3/8 unf in the centre with 5/16 unf holes either side of the centre one. Then used a cover plate underneath that the 5/16 bolts go through before sandwiching the bodywork and mounting plate together. The straps are then finally secured to the 3/8 centre hole of the mounting plates on each side. Was going to use versa nuts originally but thought better of it and glad I put in the extra work now as I’ve ended up with a very solid strap mounting system. BTW, the rear strap mounts are std 68-69 Dart through the spare wheel well.

Last edited:
I’ve spent the last two days running a 3/8” fuel delivery and return line along with near tank filter. Was going to use aluminum thinking, nice looks, easy to bend and lightweight, thought about it some more and made up a sample line and decided to ditch that idea and go with stainless instead! Just wasn’t happy with the quality of flares I was getting and started thinking about cracking, work hardening and propensity for damage and dents. Hard work with the stainless though, had to fight it every inch of the way and to make things worse - no hoist! Grovelling around on the ground under my car definitely makes me feel my age. Anyway, glad to have it finished - now the new tank can go in. Spent a few days last month getting rid of the Aus(67 style) single strap system and installing a 68-69 twin strap system, bit of work in that I had to get creative with the front strap mounting system - in the end I went with a concealed mounting system within the bodywork above the top shock mounts. Basically involved drilling a 3/4 centre hole each side in line with the straps and a 5/16” hole 1.5” away either side of each centre hole, then inserted a 3/4 x 6” mounting plate that is threaded 3/8 unf in the centre with 5/16 unf holes either side of the centre one. Then used a cover plate underneath that the 5/16 bolts go through before sandwiching the bodywork and mounting plate together. The straps are then finally secured to the 3/8 centre hole of the mounting plates on each side. Was going to use versa nuts originally but thought better of it and glad I put in the extra work now as I’ve ended up with a very solid strap mounting system. BTW, the rear strap mounts are std 68-69 Dart through the spare wheel well.
I know the quarters were very cramped for this operation, but do you possibly have any photos?

Took her for about a 20 mile drive. The miss i had before finding a cracked spark plug is still gone thankfully, she was running strong, when i got back i was curious on how those spark plug boots were and all seemed good. For the hell of it i took the temps of the manifolds and they were at 400-450 degrees, the heads near the plugs were a lot cooler at around 200-225 degrees. The boots are rated for 1200 so i should be good. First drive of the new year!

Show her this and she will realize you are not that sick.......yet! Every shelf visible and those that are not are parts heavy. It’s an addiction!

Oh ya, I built rear sway bar mounts today. :)

image.jpg

Got the 65 started. Running off a can but it’s smooth for not running for I’m not sure but at least 2-3 years. Need to figure out why no first or reverse 904.
image.jpg

FEAC2A49-B92B-40A5-B4F6-D9B2B3BEE627.jpeg

Show her this and she will realize you are not that sick.......yet! Every shelf visible and those that are not are parts heavy. It’s an addiction!

Oh ya, I built rear sway bar mounts today. :)

View attachment 1715662378

Well she says I need to finish school and get a job before buying more parts lol... but thats like 8 months :(

I also didn't sign it.

I know the quarters were very cramped for this operation, but do you possibly have any photos?
Yes, sorry, should have taken photos for story so have now. Fuel delivery runs down RHS and return back down LHS. Just need to bend up under bonnet lines now and install tank.

57E52699-2683-4BDA-82AD-B0C32D43F0C8.jpeg

E9114046-67B1-4599-9FD9-2165EC82D480.jpeg

9763DEBA-D3DD-4646-A38B-2AB0506A5DF7.jpeg

F4644841-4793-407A-8F01-1A8B18086003.jpeg

76638CA2-FF0E-4DF6-A9B8-BC47F7F87E43.jpeg

76D4A1BE-5DA9-4FB6-BA3F-19CA4B4BD328.jpeg

C1E6AD3E-205B-4C83-872C-0E48DA3B1A58.jpeg

84EEBC84-7A34-42B7-8E81-122EAA2A2EC6.jpeg

21DE6344-7321-468E-9436-69A1589C2E4A.jpeg

E031D7FA-F77E-4479-B013-80548406426C.jpeg

Looks great. Thanks for the pix. All very instructive for when mine goes back together...(finally)...whenever that is.

Looks great. Thanks for the pix. All very instructive for when mine goes back together...(finally)...whenever that is.
Yes, know what you’re saying, my view is that progress on my car generally requires 3 things - time available, money and enthusiasm, generally can’t happen otherwise!
:lol:

Just sell it to me now. It will go to a good home. And you can visit it anytime you like.

Well thanks for the offer. I'll keep buying parts and when she puts it on Craigslist I'll let you know so you can buy it :rofl:

Ps your interior looks great. I will find you some milk cartons to use as front seats.

I'm waiting for Lawn chairs to go on sale in the spring. They are impossible to find in the winter in Michigan

60 degrees and sunny today in Carolina, so I treated my car to a New Year's drink.

20210102_153942.jpg
123.jpg

10 Gallons straight up an empty country road. SWEET!!!

On a split bench seat. How does this chrome lever come off? I don't see a set screw. Any help would be appreciated greatly :)

20210102_212319.jpg

20210102_212312.jpg

On a split bench seat. How does this chrome lever come off? I don't see a set screw. Any help would be appreciated greatly :)

View attachment 1715662641

View attachment 1715662642
This is just a thought, but look behind that chrome knob for a small release spring. Maybe something that you push down with a small screwdriver or pick. Again, just a thought, I have never owned a split bench seat car.

-
Back