What color will sell easier? 73 Sport

-
I have a Challenger convert in K6 bronze with a white top and white dual stripe from the factory. I hope to restore it back to that condition some day.

ok- and assuming no one buys it as is - what are you thinking you'll ask once you've painted it? see where I am headed with this?
I hear ya guys. It is a very solid car with just two places of rust. One on the A pillars and one spot on the pass. side drip rail. Really would rather sale the car now before paint but I have time off work now and can paint it over the holidays. Probably won't make anything on it but hopefully get my money back on the car as I go along. But I have the time and hate to waste it. Painting has to add value to the car. I know I will not get any labor out of it.
When I paint it I will do an all over paint job. Just have time now to do the outside and jambs. Will pull the motor later this winter and paint under the hood.
Looks like most would keep it the factory color and I would rather have the factory color if I was buying the car. I really think the Bronze with a white stripe and blacked out hood with a scoop would be bad ***.
I will probably have it in primer tomorrow as there is not much body work to do other than sand the whole car. I will cut out the little rust and replace it with new metal.
I know that there is no other rust on the car as it is mostly in original paint. The pans are all good as are the quarters. You don't find many this solid. That is why it took me a year to find these two. I know to start with a solid car. May cost more up front but worth it in the end.
The car did run and drive when I got it. I have used a few parts on my other build and am replacing them to get it to run again.
If anyone is interested in the car it is for sale for $3,500 now. It will need the interior redone but it is all there. It is a bench seat car. It will go up as I work on it. The car is in north Al. if your close and want to look at it.
I am taking lots of pics so someone can see what they are getting.
Here are a few pics as the car is now. The primer you see on it is all the body work this car needs. I have all ready repaired the few small dents in it.
What it looked like when I got it.

I guess I assumed the car in question was the bronze one shown. The actual car looks like it could really benefit from a paint job to help sell it, regardless of color. At the very least strip it to bare metal, take pics of all damaged areas, then e-coat it and put it together.

Regarding the color choices red is always a solid choice, maybe a bit overdone. Petty blue has its fans but some think it's a little bit obnoxious...I think it's kind of a love it or hate it color. The original brown is a decent color to some but a turn-off to probably just as many. The colors I would suggest are R7 Scorch Red:

a0c0888.jpg

Or maybe a B5 Blue Fire Poly:

a94eff8.jpg

I got ya Mike.
I am starting with a good running and driving car.
So here is what I am thinking on this car. I do this as a hobby and not for a job. That being said I still need to make a little on them. If I just break even every once in a while that's ok. At least I saved another car. But I cannot lose money on them.
Here is what I think it will take to finish the car if I do all the work which I do. Kind of my way to get away.
The car: $3,500
paint mat.: 1,000
Interior: 1,200
tires 600
Misc mech. 500
misc: 1,000
So add it all up and it comes out to 7,800 lets say $8000
So what will a 73 Sport,318,auto with new paint and interior, a good solid base that runs and drives good sell for in the real world? I don't really know but I have seen them priced from $12,000 to out of this world. I know they are not selling for that. I would think a nice car like this should bring around 9 or 10k. I may be way off. Tried to look these up and see what people are really getting for these cars but could not really find any. So hopefully $10,000.
Not really worth my time but it keeps me in the shop and not out running around and getting in trouble. At the worst I will end up with a cool car. I figure if your hobby pays for it's self that is ok. Better than money spent golfing or fishing that you never get back.
So what do you think am I way off and have $8,000 in a $6,000 car?
Give me your thoughts on this. The truth will not hurt my feelings.
Here is a pic of my latest Dart that I am finishing up. I will have about that in it. Is it worth $10,000?

As some of the folks have pointed out, repainting the car the original colour or a different colour is a zero win game in terms of recouping your investment as neither will cover the cost of the bodywork, paint prep and sanding required afterwards. Unless it's a rare (low production) A body, a properly restored A body will not command a sale price anywhere near the cost of the restoration. If your plan is to eventually sell the car, best to not repaint it and sell it as is unless you want to be in the hole even more.

Just like when selling a used car that has worn tires, if you spent $500 on a new set of tires, it doesn't equate to an increase of $500 on the value of the car. You'll get about 30 to 50 cents (max) per dollar spent on the new tires when it comes to selling it. Best to sell the car with worn tires as you'll be in the hole by at least $250 in the new tire scenario.

I would say with the red car, raise the front up, detail it under it should bring 10k depending on the drive train.

as it sounds like there is a level of "labor of love" involved here for you and there is just no way anyone can account for buyer taste etc. I will say this (and this IS jmo).. - A) I am not a huge fan of the "beak" cars.. but "I'm" looking for an A-body and this one shows up near me on CL. B) It is just a 318 car, so it's nothing special as far as being a collectible goes and it's been repainted - a nice job I'm sure, but not show quality - a driver. C) No matter what you do to the drive train, "I" am assuming it has over 100k on it, it's an old car, and will need to be worked on - if for no other reason than making it "mine" - so I need to have some $$ ready after I buy it. All things being equal, and "I" do want one - you're asking 10.5k - I am showing up with 8k in my pocket... you're asking 8k - no way I bring more than 7500, you're asking 12.5 - that feels like a lot for a 318 73 - it better be nice. Anyway - back to the actual question - - Blue, I may pass and wait for a color I like. Bronze - pretty cool and unusual and your ad would say "original color" - I would want to see it.. could make an interesting resto-clone. Red - not a huge fan, but I would want to see it because it can be done right. Personally, I like black.. THAT would get me taking $$ out of the bank and coming to see the car - I think the "beak" cars look killer done black. Sorry for being so long winded - you asked. :D OH - is your red car worth 10k? It could be - looks nice for sure but, how's it drive? What options does it have? What upgrades have you done? and on and on - you know how buyers are!

I sell cars all day long... about 600+ so far...

black cars are the quickest selling... but honestly it is a hard choice between it and the original color. my original response was to the title. black and blue cars sell the quickest. but what 1973 mopar sells quicker???

that is tough. black is my number one if you are changing it, and doing it right, door jams, trunk, engine bay, etc.

unless you are doing it all out, stay with the original color, it may not sell as quick, but it is less likely to be haggled.

Thanks Sireland for the comment. It is not finished up yet. I do still need to raise the front up some and do some detailing. May do that tomorrow.
This car is not for sale.
Just trying to see if the other 73 is worth redoing.
I understand your argument H22. As I said I do all my own work and I pretty much work for free, it is my hobby. So if I can come out even or make a little on them I am ok.
The red car is about what the other 73 will be with new paint and interior just another color. It will be a good running and driving car. Nothing really special about it. Just a nice clean Mopar that someone can afford.
I know I could be working on something that would be worth more money, but when it's all about the money it takes the fun out of it. Wow I can't believe I just said that. SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!!
Again Here is what it will be. 318, auto. bucket seat no console
new paint

new interior

new paint under the hood and motor painted

new tires and wheels

would it sale for $10,000

to the "right" buyer - yes, I think it would.
Thanks Sireland for the comment. It is not finished up yet. I do still need to raise the front up some and do some detailing. May do that tomorrow.
This car is not for sale.
Just trying to see if the other 73 is worth redoing.
I understand your argument H22. As I said I do all my own work and I pretty much work for free, it is my hobby. So if I can come out even or make a little on them I am ok.
The red car is about what the other 73 will be with new paint and interior just another color. It will be a good running and driving car. Nothing really special about it. Just a nice clean Mopar that someone can afford.
I know I could be working on something that would be worth more money, but when it's all about the money it takes the fun out of it. Wow I can't believe I just said that. SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!!
Again Here is what it will be. 318, auto. bucket seat no console
new paint
would it sale for $10,000

prices and values are really hard to establiah in our "hobby". only way to really get a handle on it is with "comparable sales" in your area. not 500 mi away. comparable is the same beak nose model, same eng combo, condition, and color even. finding and/or getting this valid info from sellers in next to impossible!

I understand your postion, doing this as your hobby, you have the time and ability, you love to do it BUT you can't afford to go in the hole and don't blame ya. putting in all the labor and still losing money makes for an expensive hobby!!!!! ( but isn't that what we generally DO !?????)

if you do this car whatever color, paint, int, exhaust , tires, brakes, etc.... runs good BUT not rebuilt eng/trans..... keep in mind the BUYER will recognize it as " decent runner" but still a 45 year old car that will eventually or immediately need mech rebuilt/update. the $$$ he forks out will reflect this probably.

what would be WORSE is spending the $$ to do eng/ trans rebuiuld .... getting your $$ out of rebuild!!????? ha

color question again: like the other guy said, Petty Blue is oddball love it or hate it. red, overdone in lots of people minds, the original poop brown is really pretty with SHINEY new paint, but not everyone will WANT it. so really NO safe answer. selling old mopars is always shaky ground!!

what makes sense in, getting to bare metal like you mentions, epoxy it, coat of good fil primer, offer it for sale with agreement to paint it color choice of buyer?????? I have tried that yeara ago, most "idiot" buyers only see a car in primer and scream " whats under the primer???? ha

take it to bare metal and keep the rust at bay. can be done if dry garage, wipe it down with the high $$$ paint store acid clean. I would not be afraid to wipe it with Ospho personally. high end paint store prep stuff is preferred i'm sure.

I still tend to lean to the OEM original color. IMO

Opinions - we all have one, or 5.... Here are mine...

Original color with the white interior and stripe, but don't do the blackout treatment on the hood. It works on your red car, but I think it will be out of place on a bronze car with white accents....

B5 blue with black stripes and black hood treatment.

B7 blue with white stripes and no black hood treatment.

Black with no stripes.

Complete all body work, prep and prime - offer color of choice to new owner for either an agreed upon price to finish the paint work, or sell it in primer and let them get it painted.

hey - in the above series of 4 red car pics - what car is the 4th pic of? It doesn't match with pic one at all..

what makes sense in, getting to bare metal like you mentions, epoxy it, coat of good fil primer, offer it for sale with agreement to paint it color choice of buyer?????? I have tried that yeara ago, most "idiot" buyers only see a car in primer and scream " whats under the primer???? ha

take it to bare metal and keep the rust at bay. can be done if dry garage, wipe it down with the high $$$ paint store acid clean. I would not be afraid to wipe it with Ospho personally. high end paint store prep stuff is preferred i'm sure.

The thing to do is take lots of pics of the body while it's bare metal, and show those as well as the finished pic in e-coat. Full disclosure goes a long way when finding a buyer.

Is a factory K6 Bronze Poly. Not the prettiest color. I like it but probably will be harder to sale. So I am thinking to paint it either E5 Ralley Red or B3 Blue Streak ( Petty Blue). It will have a black and white interior with a white over the roof stripe.

See, color is a matter of personal opinion obviously.
Keep it original if I'm buying it.

It just so happens the brown metallic earth tones are my preferred color and this car is that originally.
Red is a good color for lipstick and fire engines.
I would prefer one of the "HIP" colors to red if you want loud.
But not lime green. Too many new Chargers on the road in that color.
Trying to keep something like yellow clean is a nightmare.
But you are selling it? So that's not your problem.

I say keep it true and go with the Bronze and white, white interior always one of my favorite combos.
PS: I own the Demon in your Avatar, I bought it @ 3 years ago Did a total strip and repaint, didn't have the heart to drill the new bumpers for the bumper guards yet . Check out my Avatar, any info on the Demon would be greatly appreciated, feel free to pm me.

If your goal is to sell it, paint it the most bought color there is. Red.

Hey Mr. Ft. I always wondered where that car was. Are you the guy in N.Y. that bought it from my friend in Al.? If so I know you got a deal on it. Want your money back? Sent you a PM.
Ok so I have decided to go back with the original K6 Bronze. Ordered the paint today.
Thanks for all the comments on the car.
Still like to hear if you think I can at least get my money back after it is restored.
I think there was a little confusion about which car I have. The first bronze car is just to show the color. The one I have has the primed front cap. Can't buff that out.
I am going for it. I like a challenge.

Started on the bronze car this week. Cut out what little rust was in it and replaced with new metal. I have started stripping the car and hope to have that done and in etching primer next week. Then a little blocking and paint.

Take pics of the body work needed, it will make it easier to sell.
I have sent potential buyer CD's loaded with pics of before and after of cars for sell.
It makes for an easier sell.

Take pics of the body work needed, it will make it easier to sell.
I have sent potential buyer CD's loaded with pics of before and after of cars for sell.
It makes for an easier sell.

X2

The more you document what the body looked like before primer and paint, the better.

-
Back