What "makes" a 66 Barracuda a Formula S ??

-

Blue62Val

Reaction score
Hi all,

it may be a strange question, but is there anything on a 66 Barracuda that officially makes it a Formula S ?
Is there anything on the fender tag, or VIN plate ?

Or is it just a case of if it was optioned with certain things it WAS a Formula S.

I ask because I have seen a couple of 1966 cars advertised as Formula S models, but they don't carry the badge on the fender, and I'm ot certain what to look for.

Thanks,

Peter

It should be a Hi-Po V-8 (273 4bbl) to start, I would think. I'm kind of curious to know myself. Someone here will know what to look for right away, to tell if it's a REAL Formula S car.

It should be a Hi-Po V-8 (273 4bbl) to start, I would think. I'm kind of curious to know myself. Someone here will know what to look for right away, to tell if it's a REAL Formula S car.

I'm literally trying to search for answers as we speak.
Some literature says what you said.....it'll have the 273 Commando, 4 barrell.....upgraded suspension.....sway bar....but surely any car could have ticked those boxes - or maybe not ???

And the tacho.....

I’ve got a Dealer Showroom Album tucked away. I’ll dig it out and see what it says, if anything

on the fender tag AB 32 and F 7

HD suspension (sway bar) and tach is part of the package.

i believe discs were optional.

I think I have it......on the vin will read BP29....which means :
Make = B - Barracuda
Series Number = P - Barracuda (1966)
3rd & 4th digit Body Style = 29 - "Sports" Coupe (as opposed to simply "coupe")

That's from the Early Cuda website and trying to make sense of it. Even then it doesn't explain that this defines a Formula S, but I think it must, because you either have a Coupe, or a SPORTS Coupe.

Make sure they are not talking about the 2nd gen. Barracuda's (67-69), as a coupe is the notchback & Sport coupe is the fastback. 64 - 66 were fastback only.

to my understanding, on the early cars VIN had no indication of "formula S"

fender tag was the identifier and corroborated by the build sheet.

obviously the motor, HD suspension & swaybar and specific parts of the interior group were part of the S package and would help in identifying a car. however, a lot can change in 50+ years... parts get swapped out, repaired, upgraded. so while it's helpful initially for a swift verification it's not the be all, end all of determining factors.

you want to be 100% sure? you need the trifecta: fender tag that matches the build sheet, build sheet that matches the vin. motor & transmission will not have vin numbers on them (that didn't start until 68) but should be date coded and within a reasonable time frame of the build. there are no body numbers on the early cars to match the vin.

Hi all,

it may be a strange question, but is there anything on a 66 Barracuda that officially makes it a Formula S ?
Is there anything on the fender tag, or VIN plate ?

Or is it just a case of if it was optioned with certain things it WAS a Formula S.

I ask because I have seen a couple of 1966 cars advertised as Formula S models, but they don't carry the badge on the fender, and I'm ot certain what to look for.

Thanks,

Peter
Out of a dealership data book for 1966. Information from The Hamtramck site. https://www.hamtramck-historical.co...DealershipDataBook/1966/66_Barracuda_0008.jpg

1719747551106.png

on the fender tag AB 32 and F 7

HD suspension (sway bar) and tach is part of the package.

i believe discs were optional.

This. @junkyardhero got it. 273 HP (10.5:1 pistons, stronger cam, 4 bbl. Sway bar, tach.

I have an original brochure at home with the list. If I remember (I'm three years older than my 66 Barracuda), I'll attach a picture of the list.

That's all good stuff but there are limited identifiers on the car to prove you have one after 58 years unless you're the original owner or there's a paper trail of sorts..
exactly.

if i was in the market for an S car i'd 100% want a paper trail. it would be entirely feasible to fabricate one out of thin air with the right sets of parts.

exactly.

if i was in the market for an S car i'd 100% want a paper trail. it would be entirely feasible to fabricate one out of thin air with the right sets of parts.
And what would be the difference, if it had all the right parts? It would still be a great all around driving car.

The Formula S was primarily a handling package, brought about by the Rallye Pack option from early 65. It consists of….

HD leaf springs, 6 leaves on the passenger side, 5 on the drivers side

HD “892/893” torsion bars, .870” dia

Front sway bar

14x5.5” steel rims

273 4bbl engine

Dash mounted Tach

Transverse stripes over the roof

High flow exhaust with no muffler, only the resonator

HD 10” drum brakes standard, disc optional in late 65

Formula S side badging on front fenders

As mentioned above, the fender tag for 66 will show a “32” under the “ab”, and a “7” under the “f”. In 65, the 273 4bbl engine designation would be “31” under the “ab”

That’s about it, although I maybe missing some small details.

And what would be the difference, if it had all the right parts? It would still be a great all around driving car.
This car has all the formula S suspension parts and the 4bbl engine. You could order all the Formula S parts except for the badging and stripes on any Valiant, or Barracuda in 65/66, it just won’t be a designated Formula S. It will be rarer than an S car tho, which doesn’t really mean much.

F48DEF6F-5097-470F-9187-837489C54859.png

My 64 Barracuda was later put together with Formula S parts and was was a joy to drive anywhere and everywhere. My 66 Formula S did not have the racing stripes and had 10 in drums all around with 7 1/4 rear with sure grip. Both were great cars. I guess if you are a numbers matching guy, it makes a difference money wise. I never was. I just lucked into my 66 Formula S. My cousin wanted it and his father would not let him have it. So I bought it.

That's all good stuff but there are limited identifiers on the car to prove you have one after 58 years unless you're the original owner or there's a paper trail of sorts..
This seems to be the case, I’m finding.

and possibly a deep pocket if it's all original.
Are they really worth alot of money?
I passed on a running 68 formula S 340 auto, the widow ended up giving it away.
It was a pretty clean car, but I just did not need it.
The guy that ended up with it, flipped it, the car was last seen at Carlisle with a 10K price tag on the windshield.

Are they really worth alot of money?
I passed on a running 68 formula S 340 auto, the widow ended up giving it away.
It was a pretty clean car, but I just did not need it.
The guy that ended up with it, flipped it, the car was last seen at Carlisle with a 10K price tag on the windshield.
Probably an all-original 1st gen with all of the goodies may be worth a bunch. That '68 you passed on had to be in rough shape and quite a few moons ago.

-
Back