What was the rarest car you ever had ?

-

fastback383

Reaction score
After reading that post "For those of us over 45" I started to think just how old I really am. Damn, where did the time go. Then I started thinking about all the cars I let slip away. Damn I sure was stupid, but who was to know what these old Mopars was going to be worth someday.But I am happy I still have the one I do, thanks to my Dad. This is one I could not possibly sell because it was what he was trying to restore when he passed away. I have already promised it to my son , so there is no way it is going anywhere now. Anyways, here is my list of Mopars I used to own, and sold for one stupid reason or another. This is by no means the complete list of all my cars, but the ones I am mad at myself for selling.

#1- 1970 Superbee , Origional 440 6 pak 4 speed car. 4:10 Dana Ramcharger hood, Lemon twist yellow. Luckily sold it to my brother who still has it ( thank god ) found it with a 383 2 bbl in it, the origional motor was long gone. It was just sitting in this driveway around the corner from me for the longest time and I never knew it was there. I just about died when I noticed it had a Dana in it .My heart just about exploded when I saw the "V" in the serial # I bought it for $500 bucks in 1984.

#2 1972 Roadrunner, with the GTX Option which included a facory 440- 4 speed Dana with 3:54 's . I put a air grabber hood on it and front and rear spoilers . I also put a 1970 440-6 pak motor in it . I drove that car every where . That was my daily driver for several summers .It was also lemon twist yellow.Looked sweet. Sold it to buy my first house .

#3 1970 AAR Cuda , bought it cheap out of the paper, $1200 I believe. Then I scrounged up a T/A block, already had the correct air breator and 6 pak setup, so all I needed were the heads to complete it. But for some stupid reason I sold it . I made a few bucks on it . But still it was dumb to get rid of it.Especially since I just saw a T/A block at Moparfest for $4400.And yes this one was also a Lemon twist car .

#4 1969 Roadrunner, this was a sweet origional paint car I found on the way to work one day, orinally a 383 4 speed, I put a 1969 440 in it. Was not all that fast but was real nice to drive. It was dark metallic green. A beautiful car , the doors on that car closed just as nice as the day it rolled off the assembly line . Sold it just because I had too many cars and never drove it. Damn I was a idiot.

#5 1970 Challenger S/E 383 2bbl. I had a 4bbl on it but it was originally a 2bbl car. Bought this one from the same fellow in Atlanta that my 1968 Formula S car came from.It was Burnt Orange, with a Burnt Orange Leathor interrior. I put a white vinyl top on it , some 15 x 7 rallyes and then sold it after a year or so. Again too many projects and none were getting done. The worst part about selling this car was I just flipped the money into a home stereo system, I almost get sick to my stomach when I think about how dumb that was .

What about the ones that got away ?? I am sure we all have some good stories there.I have 3 cars that stick out in my mind I could have bought but did not. The first one that comes to mind is a 1970 Barracuda Ragtop , you may have seen it on the net. It has done very well in alot of car shows , Aloha Dream cars did a resto on it. It was a very strange color combo it was a black car with a white top a blue interrior and a black stripe. It was also a 440 6 pak car. It was in pieces when I saw it. A fellow I know in Delhi Ontario had it. I could have bought the complete car although it was in a thousand pieces for $4000 Canadian.

The next car I should have bought was in 1997, it was a 1971 Hemi Roadrunner, it was Gunmetal grey and a automatic, absolutly mint. It was $26,000 at the time . It was alot of money, I gave it some thought. But decided on buying a new Buick Grand National instead.Dumb, dumb, dumb. You can add another zero to the end of that price now. Rockin Ronnie Hawkins ended up buying it, not sure if he still has it.

The last one I missed out on was a 1970 Cuda 440 6 pak 4 speed Dana car with a shaker hood.It was a little rough around the edges but complete and origional paint. It was a little pricey at the time $10,000 Canadian. It was also Burnt Orange in color, not sure if that is what Plymouth called it or not. That was around the mid 80's again.

Then there was the Superbird my Dad saw for sale along the highway in Ohio somewhere. He was a trucker, it was a 440 6 pak car for $3,000. But that was in the early 80's. Anyways I am rambling now, it is amazing how 1 little post can get the mid to wandering , Damn , I love these old cars ! This is a great website with a bunch of nice people visiting it. Keep up the good work everyone. I really enjoy checking out the new posts every day. fastback 383.....

ourcar1.jpg

My72RR.jpg

The rarest one I've had was a '69 Coronet R/T. It had a solid rust free body when I got it, but had already been cut into a race car. I ended up trading it for a '70 340/4 speed Swinger. :D

Second was a '70 R/T SE Challenger. 440/auto. I stripped it out because it was already a rag and that was in 1980. :shock:

When i was young and dumb i let several cars get away!
1.70 Dart Yellow with black interior,318 auto. out of a rolled 68 Coronet
2.67 Coronet 500 Red,black interior and a black vinyl top originally a 318 but i put a 440 in it out of a 68 300.That thing could boil the tires!Traded it for a 66 Belevedere that i later sold.
3.69 Roadrunner 383 4-speed,F6 Green with white interior and white vinyl top,radio delete.My dad bought this brand new in 69,my brother now has it and were in the process of a full restoration.One good thing my dad remembers every detail of how it was when new so we know pretty much every little detail about how it should be when it's done. :D
4.71 Duster 340 4-speed,originally Hemi orange but was painted purple when i got it.Started redoing it but then sold it.But i kept most of the parts i had aquired for it and now that i have another Duster they will be put to good use. :D

Don't even get me started on the cars i passed up,i'll save that for another day! :geek:

1) 1971 Yellow 340 Duster

2) 1967 Black Fastback barracuda with a 273 hp motor

3) 1968 Red Charger R/T 440 4 speed car, was missing motor and trans

4) 1970 Challenger R/T 383. I miss this car the most :(
It had a hemi grind cam, then I picked up an electronic ignition, Holley street dominator intake, and a holley 700 double pumper at the local swap meet.
I ported and polished the heads and added a multi angle valve job at the local College autoshop I was attending. Then I tossed in a 3:91 posi
This car was a blast to drive!

For me it was `68 383-S Barracuda Fastback 4 speed.

I traded it in `79 for a <cough-cough....> CADILLAC! :shock:
Back then, it was "just an old car...." Who knew? :roll:

actually my 69 Fastback is one of 1200 or so slant 6 fastback made in 69, Most were 318s

But I also had a 67 Formula S 273-4 speed

1967 Hemi GTX 4spd/dana. Dark green with black interior, still had the original paint back in 1986. I have scanned pictures at work I will post. I never had the Hemi in it though. Bought it from the second owner who was a friend of my cousins. The car was run many years at CT Dragway as a stock eliminator car. I sold it back to the original owner who has since sold it to the father of a guy I met here in CT and is also a fellow member on Moparts.com. Small world huh. The big block,six pack setup and 18 spline box was sold to a kid in Milford CT for a Cuda project.

Doesn't seem to rare compared to your guys cars but my first mopar was an original rust free 76 Duster with the E-58 option 360 4bbl had the build sheet and all. Car still wore its original but faded Silver Frost Metallic paint. Sold it because I was bored and was gonna buy a road runner. Price shock there.

Mine was my 71 Duster 340, with the Gull Wing and Hood Blackout / 340 Wedge callout decal package. The car was Tor Red (ev2) in color and had the 340 stripe package with dog dish hub caps. No power steering or brakes or anything else, but she was fast as you'd want at 16 years old.

Believe me, I smoked many chevy's and fords with that little Duster and when I put 456 gears under her, she really screamed at the strip.

Kept that car three years and then traded it for Monte Carlo, thought I was in love and needed a family car. STUPID STUPID on both fronts, for treading the Duster and thinking I was in love at 19.

1968 Coronet R/T Hemi convertible 4 speed 3.54 Dana. The only 4 speed Hemi '68 ragtop built.

thecoronet1.jpg

'69 AMC Hurst SC/Rambler. First car I owned at 16...bought it for a whopping $1400 in 1984. Man, I wish I still had it...I know where it's at and another like it, but they are both wrecked rusted shells. The 390s are long gone...oh well.

Man 6pkrunner you got me beat ! What a awesome car. Have you ever thought about how much that car would be worth today ???
Below is my old 72 RR/GTX 440-4 speed car with the 3:54 Dana.
My72RRGTX.jpg

I thought I'd go to the grave with it. But a house and wife and kids came along. I sold it and paid off what was left of a mortgage and bought some furniture. Looking at what it could get today and I weep. :(

6pkrunner I know how you feel. My first car was a 68 Coronet R/T Hemi 4spd, but of course it wasn't a ragtop. I didn't get rid of mine by choice, my dad had it sent to the junkyard when I was away. I had the engine out of it and was going to restore it when I had to leave, he thought I'd never finish it so he junked it :cry: I tried to locate it when I got back, but I never found it. I was so bummed out I ended up selling of the engine and rest of the pieces. I still have the title some where in one of my storage boxes. If I find it I'll scan it and post it. Who knows maybe its sitting in someones yard or warehouse and I still have the title 8) Well I can dream can't I :lol:

I sold mine to a guy who promised that I woud be first in line to get it if he ever sold it. Well I got a call from a guy who was the second owner after he had sold it. :scratch:

I had a 69 dart swinger 340 4speed, with 391's. It was orange with a white stripe. I bought that when I was 16 and drove it all thru high school and then some. I should have never sold it, but I was broke and it had been sitting for a year or so and I thought someone who could fix it up should. The guy I sold it to wreck it and it went to the bone yard.
My dad had a 68 dart GTS 340 convertable in 73-78. He traded that for a 78 ford 3/4 ton pickup, he is still trying to find that car. :roll:

225 Dart Convertible
LP27B9B27....

I think it had a July, 1969 build date. It wasn't a Dart... This body style started in 1970.
LS23H9B37....

340 4-speed Swinger
LM23P9B38....

340 4-speed Swinger
LM23P9B39....

6pkrunner said:
1968 Coronet R/T Hemi convertible 4 speed 3.54 Dana. The only 4 speed Hemi '68 ragtop built.

Actually built one 4spd US model. There were 2 Canadian cars built but do not know the trans option.

1973 Dart Sport 340 Convertriple
1974 Challenger Rallye 360 car.
1969 Coronet R/T 440 auto
1967 Coronet R/T 440 auto
1977 Warlock 4X4(black)
1974 Challenger Rallye, 440 6pk and fun.
1980 Mirada CMX with all options and T-Tops(739 built)

I currently own the rarest car I've had.

My dad had a 69 1/2 Super bee with a 440-4 speed
also a 69 RR 440-4 speed
69 Charger 440 R/T-4 speed
70 Challenger R/T 440 4-speed,Vanishing point look alike
the rolling chas. of a 68 Hemi dart
67 Cornet 440-4 speed
69 Cornet 383-6-4-speed
an his fav car his 72 Duser 340-4 speed,with a 318,LOL still hav it the only car he has now
My mom has now a 67 Cornet 440-4speed an factory dana with 4.10's
My dart is the rarest car iv ever owned! :scratch:

Had a # matching 340 4 speed Formula S Fastback Barracuda in 1985 :roll: , sold it to start life as a married guy. :puker:
I guess the car I have now is the rarest though, a 69 383 Automatic Formula S Fastback Barracuda.
Back in 71 I had a 67 Hemi automatic Belvedere, body was trash but it sure did scoot. :thumleft:
As for the ones that got away; :drunken: I looked at a 71 440 GTX and did not buy for 3500 in 1976, :angry2: was really going to buy but the dealer sold it out from underneath me. :angryfir: Just about cried on that one. Also a 440 6-pak Superbird for 6000 that I thought was too expensive :puker:
Not rare but my first car was a 73 Barracuda w/318 that almost immedeatly was replaced with a 383. Wish I still had that too. Oh well now that im sick from thinking about it thats enough. :pale:

-
Back