Why would the previous owner do this?

-

78kitcar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Opened up the rear end and this is what i found! Talked to a buddy and he say that was popular among drag racers.....Thoughts anyone?

Attachments

• IMG_2440 (Medium).jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 879
  • IMG_2441 (Medium).jpg
    71 KB · Views: 883
It's the cheap guy's version of a posi welding up the spider gears like that. Hopefully your axles aren't welded to it too.

Usually do it in demo cars, when posi not avail..short life-span posi.. it works... but not recommended for daily driver..

Somebody made a spool out of open carrier.
I would not run it on the street.

There was a certain amount of this "back when." One explanation is "I'm broke and just busted the spider gears."

"Lincoln Locker." Haven't heard that for at least 30 years.

i know alot of chevy guys that has done it but when it brakes lose at the starting line its hell on your trans .....seen i guy shoot the drive shaft up into the floor of the car..mike

..............u can take the carrier out and put in a sure grip..............plus take out the gears and bearings ans clean the good or replace the bearings ...there would b lots of crap floating around in there...kim........

..............u can take the carrier out and put in a sure grip..............plus take out the gears and bearings ans clean the good or replace the bearings ...there would b lots of crap floating around in there...kim........

It's a 741 case...is it worth it??

They work pretty good until they break. And they almost always do.

I had a 71 Ferd LTD back in '91, that I welded the Spiders in just for fun, and It was a way for a broke Georgia Boy to Try to get a 429 to hook up. I didn't do it that way I pulled out the top and bottom gears and completely seam welded the side gears to the case. Was insanely strong for what it was. I drove that car for a couple of years, absolutely abusing it as much as possible while daily driving it. That 9 inch never broke ( in fact I still have the third member in storage somewhere) the down side is i had to replace the rear tires every couple of weeks. lol David

At least he didn't do this. Bahhhhhahhahhahahh

Attachments

• n580571596_1466893_1037586.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 455
They work pretty good until they break. And they almost always do.

Explain please ???

:happy1:

The smallest diameter of a 741 is EXACTLY the same as a 742 ... the STRONGEST , and a 489 , technically the weakest with the POS crush sleeve still installed ... the section of the pinion shaft were the outer pinion bearing rides and I have yet to see ANYONE say they broke a pinion there .

:happy1:

-
Back