Will GM 200r4 work with factory floor shift location?

-
Treblig,Your documentation was instrumental in convincing me I could do it too, with the exception of retaining the factory shifter. Kudos to your attention to detail and advice along the way. It's been critical. Sheez, when I sold my 727 and converter, it paid for my driveshaft. LOL. I knew going in I was going to be spending some $ on a 408" Magnum and a stout 200R4 build with a fresh DR Diff built 489 case 3.91 geared pig with an Eaton True trac.The year before cost me some $ to install a junkyard 5.9 with full exhaust, all the little parts a freshly rebuilt/used 727 and and slightly higher stall converter and a junkyard cone type 743 case 3.23 pig. Figuring out how to plumb and get the EFI up and running really good took some research and thinking. There are now some really cool fuel tank mods out there too I may add to this car and my carbureted car. Years before that. it was more $ for the chassis, suspension and brakes. Since I have no car payments, I can save up some $ and do the car in stages. One day, I'll even paint the darn thing. It still looks good from 10 feet and has 70% original paint.A couple more weeks and it will be time to turn the key and get some break-in miles on the motor and trans. I'm getting it down to bending trans cooler lines Installing the radiator and finishing up installing fresh front rotors, swapping out the front calipers to '76 Dodge Monaco units and installing braided brake lines front and rear.I decided to tear out the dash and install a freshened 150 mph speedo and Vintage auto air during the winter when and if the rains come. I will install the condenser and receiver drier and plug them off, but for now, I just want to get the car on the road, before elk season opens for rifles in Nevada.Thanks for the inspiration and support, Treblig!

That's very gracious of you jbc!!! It's is kinda funny...I was inspired by "MoparToYa" which made me get brave enough to try the 2004R in my Barracuda. If it hadn't been for him and his pics I would have never tried so I guess it's true, "What goes around comes around" or "What comes around goes around", which ever makes more sense. If anyone else wants to attempt this swap there aren't many secrets about how to do it!! I always said that I would help anyone with advice if they want to try the swap. Down here where I live Mopar parts and, in this case, transmissions are rare. Chevy parts are literally falling out of the sky. I just bought another 2004R for $25 the other day just to get an extra governor to modify. A governor all by itself on ebay costs more than what I paid for the whole transmission!!

Thanks again for the Kudos!!! I'm sure your swap and modifications will help someone else!!! Those companies you used to get the adapters and torque convertors now have a template to make the same parts for anyone else who might want to use the same set up as you did.
Treblig

I posted this yesterday but it got wiped out by the site "crash".
I have been driving my 69 Barracuda with the 2004R trans for about 3 months. I thought that I was able to manually put the trans into 1st gear but I've been noticing that when I put the shifter into the 1st gear position the car launches in first but then quickly shifts to second, then it stays in second until I shift (manually) into third. So to cure this problem I got another shifter and modified it so that I could manually hold the trans in first gear. There are a few issues when you try to make a 3 speed shifter into a 4 speed shifter but luckily "Ma Mopar" wisely left enough room on the shifter plate to cut another notch for another gear!! I filed the 1st gear notch but you'll have to use a good file because the shifter plate is made of hardened metal. Also the small piece of metal that moves up and down in the shifter handle, as you go through the notches, must be trimmed on the top edge and the bottom edge. If you don't trim the bottom edge the small piece of metal runs into the bottom of the shifter slot and you can't get it past the factory 1st gear notch. You'll have to trim the top of the same piece of metal so that it clears the new notch. I also filed about 1/8" into the shifter frame (second to last pic) to get enough space for the shifter to go all the way into 1st gear (2004R). Lastly you'll also have to unscrew the push button shifter knob one turn so that the small piece of metal (that catches the notches) rises high enough as you go thru the gears.

MORE PICS LATER>>>.
treblig

Attachments

• DSC04037.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 477
  • DSC04038.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 395
  • DSC04040.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 397
  • DSC04041.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 430
  • DSC04042.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 391
  • DSC04039.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 424
  • DSC04048.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 329
  • DSC04049.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 378
And this is the finished product. It looks like it came like that from the factory!!

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC04052.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 530
  • DSC04051.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 383
  • DSC04050.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 467
Last piece of the puzzle. I checked the console before I started any of this and I was very surprised to see that is plenty of room for the shifter stick to pull back far enough to get into 1st gear on the 2004R. As you can see there's about 1/2" of travel left in the console slot. As it turns out everything should work out great!!
:burnout:
treblig

Attachments

• DSC04055.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 455
  • DSC04056.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 493
  • DSC04059.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 365
  • DSC04060.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 436
Does it engauge the transmission firm enough? Last thing you want is hanging out in between gears.

Does it engauge the transmission firm enough? Last thing you want is hanging out in between gears.

When I install the new shifter I'll also be under the car on the rack and ensure that all the gears are properly engaging as I move the shifter through the notches. But you are correct, it has to engage solidly in each gear. If you saw how I designed the linkage (under the car) you'll know that I can change the effective throw/travel of the trans lever. Since the stroke is adjustable I'm sure I can get it perfect.

thanks,
Treblig

Treblig

I just noticed you are a Corpus boy. So am I. Where do you live? I grew up down there, graduated from Ray HS back in the 80s. My parents live in Calallen now. I was there last week.

Treblig

I just noticed you are a Corpus boy. So am I. Where do you live? I grew up down there, graduated from Ray HS back in the 80s. My parents live in Calallen now. I was there last week.

I live very near the Driscol Children's Hospital on Alameda (not far from Ray). I also went to Ray High School before 1980. Is that your car in the avatar??

treblig

I installed my modified stock shifter today so that I can get into low gear (2004R) and keep it in low gear for as long as necessary. It all went smoothly, will do a test run in the streets very soon.

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC04050.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 304
  • DSC04051.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 302
  • DSC04052.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 353
I put a 2004-R in my 68 Barracuda too, pretty happy with it. I'm going to be getting one of these from Dakota Digital so that I can have both neutral safety and a backup light

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....uct_id=60/category_id=401/mode=prod/prd60.htm

Right now, I just have neutral safety using a Lokar switch.

Yes, I really love my 2004Ralso. I drive my car almost everyday and I really enjoy going through the gears. Especially now that I can hold it in first gear for as long as I want. My shifter modification worked perfectly. I can now power the car through every gear with no problem and, as it turns out, there was plenty of room in the console shifter slot to be able to shift through 4 gears. I did have to scoot the console toward the rear about 1/4" but there was plenty of wiggle room in the factory console trans/tunnel brackets to move the console and still get all the screws in there.

Treblig

Boy...I didn't realize how much the trans moves under hard acceleration. The Barracuda had been jumping into neutral sometimes when I hit the gas real hard. After I installed the modified shifter I got under the car and adjusted the levers so that it settled more solidly into drive than previously. When I test drove it today after the last adjustment I held my hand on the shifter handle as I stomped on the gas and as it went through the gears (in drive). I noticed that the shifter pushes back (toward the rear) about 1/4" or so under hard acceleration. My motor mounts and trans mount are new. I was really surprised how much the shifter moves!!! Now that I made the final adjustment it stays in "Drive" no matter how hard I hit it. I can get into 1st gear real good with the modified shifter and I can also catch every gear after. It's GREAT and a lot of fun. Can't wait to see what it does after I install the 318/390 stroker!!!!

treblig

Treblig,

Just thought I'd say thanks again for such a good thread and awesome pics. I just re-read quite a bit (especially the governor and clearance stuff)... I found a 200r4 locally I'm gonna tear into real soon. I'm gonna attempt to rebuild it with the CKperformance.com guide and parts to save some cash.

Happy cruising

Joe

Treblig,

Just thought I'd say thanks again for such a good thread and awesome pics. I just re-read quite a bit (especially the governor and clearance stuff)... I found a 200r4 locally I'm gonna tear into real soon. I'm gonna attempt to rebuild it with the CKperformance.com guide and parts to save some cash.

Happy cruising

Joe

Joe (Joeboy), I'm glad you appreciate all the time I invested into stopping my build to take pictures and write the explanations for what I did. Hope you got a good deal on the 2004R?? Those transmissions fall out the sky where I live...LOL!! If you do a little research you can really save on some of the HD performance transmission parts. Please let everyone know how it goes with the trans swap (and take some pics!!). If you run into any "different" problems be sure and let everyone know and if there's anything I can do to help just let me know.

thanks again,
Treblig

Joe (Joeboy), I'm glad you appreciate all the time I invested into stopping my build to take pictures and write the explanations for what I did. Hope you got a good deal on the 2004R?? Those transmissions fall out the sky where I live...LOL!! If you do a little research you can really save on some of the HD performance transmission parts. Please let everyone know how it goes with the trans swap (and take some pics!!). If you run into any "different" problems be sure and let everyone know and if there's anything I can do to help just let me know.

thanks again,
Treblig

Yeah, I did pretty good for around here, got one from a low mileage V8 car for $200...My plan is wilcap, and the new US cartool mount... I was gonna do a PIC/info thread at least so people can see one with that adapter.

Yeah, I did pretty good for around here, got one from a low mileage V8 car for $200...My plan is wilcap, and the new US cartool mount... I was gonna do a PIC/info thread at least so people can see one with that adapter.

I believe the Wilcap adapter is 3/8" thick which will push the transmission a little more towards the rear. So you'll have to trim more off of both sides of the upper cross member. The TCI is only 1/4" thick but the TCI requires more work!! The US Car Tool mount looks like a very good deal and will save you tons of time (and cuss words). Remember to trim of the extra ears if you're installing with the engine in the car. Depending on your rear gear ratio be sure to get the correct "drive" and "driven" gears before you reassemble/install the transmission.

Treblig

You misunderstood my post. I have no desire to change mine. What I was asking is would it be possible to just attach a shifter cable to a stock shifter and run it to the 200R4 rather than doing all the fabricating your doing? If it would work it seems like it would be a lot less work.

Here's a couple pictures of mine with the Quicksilver under the factory console

View attachment 1714664429

View attachment 1714664430
Did you attach the quicksilver to th consol or the floor?

-
Back