You gotta love peoples "car knowledge"

-
This must have been 25 years ago. Had own my Fastback FS 383 for a couple of years, working on it.
There was a gas station with a garage at the place where I was living at the time, and the guy who owned the garage did also have a -67 Fastback FS with a 273 engine.
Got to talk with him and I explained that I too had a -67 FS but with a 383 engine... And he explained to me that Chrysler never did a Fastback with a 383 engine. I told him that I had checked the vin# and they matched a 383 car...but noo, he told that his brother and I quote " He´s brainded on everything but Mopar and he´d said that they didn´t ever made a Fastback with a 383"... I told him I got bad news about his brother....never talked with the guy again.

The only people that get on my nerves are the moron's behind most of the parts counters...

I went into advance awhile back--- I need a tie rod end for a 84' cutlass, the guy looks on the computor and says we don't have one-- so I say ok, see if you have one for a 79' malibu, he looks on the computor and says yeah we have one, "IT'S THE SAME FREAKIN G-BODY TIE ROD END"... So I guess that makes me smarter than the Advance computor----- THATS SCARY..

Thats why you have to show up with part #'s now. You can't expect these guys to know what interchanges on every car and if their system doesn't tell them, then you are SOL. Hell, NAPA doesn't even have a Duster show up on their computer. There is one guy at mine that knows to choose Valiant. I have to tell the rest of the guys that. But hey if they knew everything that interchanged, they'd probably be working somewhere else making a lot more money.

Thats why you have to show up with part #'s now. You can't expect these guys to know what interchanges on every car and if their system doesn't tell them, then you are SOL. Hell, NAPA doesn't even have a Duster show up on their computer. There is one guy at mine that knows to choose Valiant. I have to tell the rest of the guys that. But hey if they knew everything that interchanged, they'd probably be working somewhere else making a lot more money.

I don't expect the parts guy to know every part on every model.. That tie rod end has the same part number ALL 1978-87 GM G-bodys, who is programing their computors, a 6 year old????

The only people that get on my nerves are the moron's behind most of the parts counters...
this.

I needed valve cover gaskets for my Scamp, and the dealership was closest, so that's where I started. You know, the Chrysler dealer. Where the people who know Mopars work.

"I need valve cover gaskets for a 318"
"What's it in?"
"A '73 Scamp, but your computer won't go back that far, so gimme a set for whatever 318 you can look up."
"Uhhhh.....my computer doesn't go back that far..."
"I know. How about a set for something newer?!?"
"Wait... (he grabs book from under counter)....oh this doesn't go back that far either..."
"Never mind."
I went across town to Canadian Tire where a guy I know (who used to work at an actual parts store) works. He didn't even have to look them up.

btw, as far as the 3/4 cam goes- the sheet of paper listing the mods that came with my Duster showed a '3/4 radiator'. At least that was easy to decipher, in that "3/4" sounds a lot like "3 core":-D

Well at a cruise night a guy came up to me and said he had worked for Chrysler for over 30 years and asked me what engine was in my Signet. I said a 273. He looked at me and said he had never heard of a 273, didn't I mean a 318! Scary.

There was a guy at Schucks (Checker/Kragen) who I'd constantly send on a wild goose chase. I'd ask for a chrome differential cover for a Ford 9" rear end about once every 6 months. He'd end up calling other stores, or dig out huge parts books to find it.

Sometimes he'd suggest some bs part would work, and I would then ask say..."Oh, whats next, a chrome diff cover for a Ford 9 inch?" He'd just stare at me.

I remember running into a guy at safeway parking lot. we were talking about my Dart, and he said he used to own a dart with a factory "440 Hemi"....I just nodded and walked away after that....

Sometimes he'd suggest some bs part would work, and I would then ask say..."Oh, whats next, a chrome diff cover for a Ford 9 inch?" He'd just stare at me.[/QUOTE]

I like messin' with people, told my nephew one time to look in my tool box and bring me a pair of "wire strechers" ,needless to say he never did find a pair..

The Nova and Duster identity crisis used to annoy me when I had my Duster.

Mopar fans know the most about cars. Think about how many chevy and ford owner's are out there. All they know is chevy or ford, nothing else. Mopar fans on the other hand, know about all three.

Sometimes he'd suggest some bs part would work, and I would then ask say..."Oh, whats next, a chrome diff cover for a Ford 9 inch?" He'd just stare at me.

I like messin' with people, told my nephew one time to look in my tool box and bring me a pair of "wire strechers" ,needless to say he never did find a pair.. [/QUOTE]

I work in a boiler room with high turn over. Anytime we get a new guy I ask him to grab me a bucket of steam. I he turns around, I know how well he's gonna work out.

I sold parts in my younger days for 6 years. I had a guy come in with a 66 Pontiac Parriesienne (Canadian Pontiacs were Chevy powered) wanting tune up parts for his 427. I was sure he was mistaken on the engine size so I went out to the parking lot and popped the hood. Sure enough it was a 327 SBC but he insisted it was a 427 so I sold him what he asked for and never came back. I'm not sure but maybe BBC tune up parts will interchange with SBC stuff.

When I had my Olds 442 I can't tell you how many people asked me if it still had the 442 Motor under the hood and how they or their buddy had one with that awesome 442 engine.:toothy10:

455 would be an Olds motor, Chevy had the 454...I know picky, picky...it still not a Mopar..
Buick and Pontiac had 455s as well. They're all very different creatures, but I favor the Pontiac.

There was a guy at Schucks (Checker/Kragen) who I'd constantly send on a wild goose chase. I'd ask for a chrome differential cover for a Ford 9" rear end about once every 6 months. He'd end up calling other stores, or dig out huge parts books to find it.
You may consider having him run down some hardened C-clips for that 9" if he hasn't gone off the deep end yet.

I'm getting a little tired of the podunk assclowns that show up to car cruizes and let their dumb *** kids put their friggin hands all over other peoples cars and the loudmouth Dad's acting like it is a perfect opportunity to to give you their stupid business card for something you will never need like sweeper sales or carpet recoloring in between F-bombs.
I've prety much came to the conclusion to not go to any shows at home depots, wal marts, or other stores that are open for business unless you want total, non car idiots comin' to look at all the kewl cars after Diddy is dun shoppin for maw, maw's new circus tent sized dress for their 12 year ol dawters weddin' to cousin Elrod wo dun nokked her up at the last famly re-yoonyin.
Now that's friggin funny!

Like someone said above, People would walk up and tell me their dad had a 68 FB B'Cuda just like mine with a Hemi or 440 Hemi in it. I would ask did he ever drive it on the street? and the answer always was, ALL THE TIME!!! Yeah OK!

Thats funny, the thing that annoys me the most are the moron customers that constantly question my competence when they don't know their *** from a hole in the wall.

Thats funny, the thing that annoys me the most are the moron customers that constantly question my competence when they don't know their *** from a hole in the wall.

I agree 100%
There's morons on both sides of the counter...

455 would be an Olds motor, Chevy had the 454...I know picky, picky...it still not a Mopar..

Had a guy telling me about his 65 D-Dart with the factory Hi performance 318...

Haha thanks for killing my story :)

The number 5 key is right next to the number 4 key. Must have been my sausage fingers.

unless you want total, non car idiots comin' to look at all the kewl cars after Diddy is dun shoppin for maw, maw's new circus tent sized dress for their 12 year ol dawters weddin' to cousin Elrod wo dun nokked her up at the last famly re-yoonyin.

Wait a minute, when did you meet my family?!?!? :scratch:
:toothy7::toothy7::toothy7::toothy7:

I work in a boiler room with high turn over. Anytime we get a new guy I ask him to grab me a bucket of steam. I he turns around, I know how well he's gonna work out.

Haha, or a can of a1r. I've heard of guys on navy ships doing that to the newbies. Sometimes the newbs would even end up in the wheelhouse asking the captain of the boat for a can of a1r. He'd send them all the way back down into the boiler room: "go see the machinists for that, they'll have some". Ol' Captain was in on the joke as well.

I learned a long time ago to just discreetly end the conversation, and walk away as soon as something asinine is said. I used to get too worked up over trying to correct people or educate them. Not worth it.

Guess I've been pretty lucky. This is what my parts guy drives. I always get the right part.

Wylde1.

tim01.jpg

Asking the kids at Kragen/Oreilly's for either a water pump or upper rad hose for a 62 corvair.....love the reaction.

Seriously, my parts guys rule. I can call up and ask for all 3 oil filter sizes in Wix for a mopar engine and I get" I'll send them over".

I love the "That's a pretty sick lookin' fastback mustang!! lol.....yeah, it's a rare one made by Plymouth"...Who?

Asking the kids at Kragen/Oreilly's for either a water pump or upper rad hose for a 62 corvair.....love the reaction.

Seriously, my parts guys rule. I can call up and ask for all 3 oil filter sizes in Wix for a mopar engine and I get" I'll send them over".

I love the "That's a pretty sick lookin' fastback mustang!! lol.....yeah, it's a rare one made by Plymouth"...Who?

We have a member here who used to work for the local NAPA I dealt with. That's how we became friends. He used to take the little bags of air that the parts were shipped with, put them on a box on the counter, label them as "Volkswagon/Corvair coolant," and sell 'em for a buck each. The old timers were in on the joke and would throw a dollar into the box for the store employees' lunch fund.

I had a guy come to me yesterday needing struts on his Jetta. He was telling me that his first car was a '69 Fury with the "big block 318." I just let it slide. No sense in arguing.

-
Back