You gotta love peoples "car knowledge"

-
The 400 i'm talking about is a small block, chevy never made a "400" big block...

I know about the 400 small block, but they did make the 402, like Toolman said. I have one sitting in my shop ready to go into a 72 c10 shortbed factory 402 truck that has "400" emblems on it from the factory.

I know about the 400 small block, but they did make the 402, like Toolman said. I have one sitting in my shop ready to go into a 72 c10 shortbed factory 402 truck that has "400" emblems on it from the factory.

A "402" chevy is a BIG BLOCK...

A "400" chevy is small block...

All parts guys and gals ain't bad, the problem is thay usually get what thay pay for in a worker.. I wouldn't work at advance for what thay pay, my local bumper to bumper store is husband and wife owned, the guy bends over backward to help me out, hell, he gives me nos moog parts for the china cheap prices, I can call him up anytime and he'll have a part the next day, bought a wheel cylinder kit for my rat rod and he gave me 2 for the price of the one, their good people, that's why I deal with them...

Where is this? in NC I'm guessing?

402 Chevy BIG BLOCK...Bottom picture

400 small block chevy
30236130012_large.jpg

charlie.jpg

I worked at a local parts house for 3 years, I was well trained, thats probably the biggest problem, and have always worked on my cars myself. That being said I didnt wanna stay there, one the customers, freaking idiots trying to ghetto rig there rides, like trying to use compression fitings on brakes........... no no no thats NOT OK CAUSE YOUR BACKYARD MECHANIC SAID TOO. and who would want to put up with all the BS for low *** pay, dont like the job, hate customers, I think it made me not into a people person actually lol, and just other bs, no thanks.

So its not a suprise to me when I go to a chain store and its full of idiots, back when I was going to advanced all the time I would have a new crew working about every dam week, its sad. And its amazing how much stuff you can learn working at a parts store, about all cars, so In the long road it was very good just for the info.....and the discount!:-D

Last year, I was climbing out of my Scamp after parking it at the mall, and two elderly ladies (70 or older) were walking past the front of my car, and one said to the other "Oh Marge, look at that old Plymouth." I about fell over.........How cool was that !

402 Chevy BIG BLOCK...

Yes thank you for the re-clarification. On trucks, the "400" emblem for 71-72 trucks was for the 402. I had a friend that had a #'s matching 72 BB truck with the "400" emblems.....anyway, back to our fun thread.

Chevy bored the 396 out to 402 inches in 1969 or 1970, I forget which. They still called them a 396 in sales brochures, fender emblems, air cleaner decals etc, because the 396 had become a very popular engine and they didn't want to turn off any potential new buyers.

In '71+ when companies were starting to build "insurance beaters" they made the 402 available in the Malibu and the Chevelle with the Heavy Chevy option. These had "400" fender emblems, were listed as a 400 in sales brochures, and the sticker for tune up and emissions information in the engine bay even listed it as "400 cubic inches".

I know all this because a good friend in high school got his dad's Chevelle which was bought new in '71 and never modified. It was a standard Malibu, green/green, flat hood, "400" fender emblems, bench seat, column shift th400, and 402 big block. We cruised quite a bit in this car and it did ok for being low compression and totally stock.

PS-
Just found this website - evidently there's one devoted to the Malibu 400:

http://www.shapeconsulting.com/malibu400/400facts.htm

I worked at a local parts house for 3 years, I was well trained, thats probably the biggest problem, and have always worked on my cars myself. That being said I didnt wanna stay there, one the customers, freaking idiots trying to ghetto rig there rides, like trying to use compression fitings on brakes........... no no no thats NOT OK CAUSE YOUR BACKYARD MECHANIC SAID TOO. and who would want to put up with all the BS for low *** pay, dont like the job, hate customers, I think it made me not into a people person actually lol, and just other bs, no thanks.

So its not a suprise to me when I go to a chain store and its full of idiots, back when I was going to advanced all the time I would have a new crew working about every dam week, its sad. And its amazing how much stuff you can learn working at a parts store, about all cars, so In the long road it was very good just for the info.....and the discount!:-D

Thank you, you nailed it perfectly.

The 400 i'm talking about is a small block, chevy never made a "400" big block...

Right you are. Also, along with the trucks, the big cars (Impala and Caprice) could have 400 on the fenders and have either a 400 small block or the 402 fat motor. the 402 is the only motor I know that was marketed in TWO different sizes, and neither of them were correct. I worked at the local chevy dealer a few years with an old guy that had worked for GM at the doraville plant in georgia for a while. He always said that the way the 402 came to be was that somebody accidentally set the boring bar up out of spec for the 396. he said several thousand blocks were bored incorrectly and thus the 402 was born. Could be just one of those rumors....but I've read and heard it other places, too. It sorta makes sense, because the 396 and 402 are so close.....it just wouldn't have made sense for Chevy to suddenly come up with the 402 when the 396 was already a main staple for them. the 402 was never marketed as a 402 as far as I know. so that might lend even more truth to the rumor. interesting to say the least.

Right you are. Also, along with the trucks, the big cars (Impala and Caprice) could have 400 on the fenders and have either a 400 small block or the 402 fat motor. the 402 is the only motor I know that was marketed in TWO different sizes, and neither of them were correct. I worked at the local chevy dealer a few years with an old guy that had worked for GM at the doraville plant in georgia for a while. He always said that the way the 402 came to be was that somebody accidentally set the boring bar up out of spec for the 396. he said several thousand blocks were bored incorrectly and thus the 402 was born. Could be just one of those rumors....but I've read and heard it other places, too. It sorta makes sense, because the 396 and 402 are so close.....it just wouldn't have made sense for Chevy to suddenly come up with the 402 when the 396 was already a main staple for them. the 402 was never marketed as a 402 as far as I know. so that might lend even more truth to the rumor. interesting to say the least.

Thanks for the clarification. My point exactly. Mike

I have heard the same thing from a die hard chevy guy in town. Thought it was interesting and wondered if it was true. This helps verify.

From a "Big Block Chevy" casting number book: http://www.ajgeneral.com/bbc_block_casting_numbers/

Appearing in 1966,to the approval of Chevy fans and the detriment of the competition was the 427.Reaching it's zenith in 69 as an exotic all aluminum block and heads high performance engine known as the ZL-1.A hand full of Corvettes and Camaros received this option and that makes then extremely difficult to find today.Most ended up as drag racing engines and so not many survived.

Mark IV engine have also been converted to truck blocks,or "tall blocks".Although essentially the same as other big block Chevys,they feature a longer crankshaft centerline to deck distance and are not normally considered desirable for passenger cars.The only was to know is to check the cast numbers.

1969 was officially the last year of the 396 but,many cars were know as 396 SS's afterward.A slightly larger bore gave the 396 a displacement of 402 CID for the 1970 model year.Many of these vehicles were marketed with 396 SS emblems on the fenders and 402 on the sticker under the hood.To make things more interesting Chevrolet marketed some of the 402 as Big Block 400 engines,like in 71.So if you have one of these engines,it's a 402 or a slightly bored out 396,you get the point.As a result Chevrolet described the big block as a 400 4 barrel and the small block as a 400 2 barrel.

All parts guys and gals ain't bad, the problem is thay usually get what thay pay for in a worker.. I wouldn't work at advance for what thay pay, my local bumper to bumper store is husband and wife owned, the guy bends over backward to help me out, hell, he gives me nos moog parts for the china cheap prices, I can call him up anytime and he'll have a part the next day, bought a wheel cylinder kit for my rat rod and he gave me 2 for the price of the one, their good people, that's why I deal with them...

Same here. I use Meyer's Bumper to Bumper because he's a good guy. Cheap prices and have never had to replace the parts later on. I hate autozone because they're expensive and their "lifetime" parts fail 3 times in as many months or weeks. My philosophy is: why do something over, when you can do it right the first time.

Yes thank you for the re-clarification. On trucks, the "400" emblem for 71-72 trucks was for the 402. I had a friend that had a #'s matching 72 BB truck with the "400" emblems.....anyway, back to our fun thread.

So I guess you think 440 coronets all came with 440's and that 442 old's all came with 442's????

CHEVY HAS NEVER MADE A 400 BIG BLOCK

So now the thread has boiled down to a pissing contest on who knows the most about Chevies? That's too funny.

I'm not tryin' to piss with anyone, have you ever seen a chevy small block 400 being argued as being a 400 BIG BLOCK chevy rementh?????

why doesnt everyone shut the **** up about chevies its a mopar site not a chevy site.

Guys chevrolet never made a 400 big block! The 396 bored std bore is 4.094 bore with a 3.760 stroke the 402 was a 396 with a 4.126 bore and 3.760 stroke the 402 was marketed as a 400 but wasnt really a 400 its a 402. enough said ..I thought this was a mopar website.. guess you guys all have dare I say it....CHEVY ENVY!

why doesnt everyone shut the **** up about chevies its a mopar site not a chevy site.

ditto, they suck with their crummy 23* valve angle, stud rockers, garbage rod ratios, thin casting warp prone heads that don't flow squat, twisting pos short rods, weak main caps, heavy boat anchor cyl heads [bb chevy heads weigh more than 426 hemi heads] .....they basically copy a stock mopar when going racing=changing to 18* heads, steel cranks, shaft mount rockers, long rods....

total garbage and thats all that needs to be said

more importantly I've just learned a lot of our members know more about chevys than mopars.......hmmmmmm....

Guys chevrolet never made a 400 big block! The 396 bored std bore is 4.094 bore with a 3.760 stroke the 402 was a 396 with a 4.126 bore and 3.760 stroke the 402 was marketed as a 400 but wasnt really a 400 its a 402. enough said ..I thought this was a mopar website.. guess you guys all have dare I say it....CHEVY ENVY!

Thank you THE MOB FIAT, I make this one statement below and 2 or 3 come out and show us all just how little thay know about anything..

I've heard of 440-HEMI's all my life, and BIG BLOCK 400 chevys...

My whole point was a lot of people who have small block 400 chevys call them 400 BIG BLOCKS..

-
Back