12:05 Garage- ’70 Duster build

-
So with this more aggressive alignment, you can't induce understeer if you drive too deep into a corner? If so, is it neutral (All four drift), oversteer (rears drift), or snap oversteer? You have my attention :lol:

Here's the course map. I'd say the second big turn on the top right, it was very neutral, but no 4 wheel drift because speed wasn't high enough. The long sweeper around station 2 I could have definitely done some drifting there, but still very controllable. The last big sweeper had some speed coming into it where I would have had some understeer problems in the past. I was able to get through cleanly and very predictable and no understeer. That last cone before the finish above station 3 was interesting. It was a high speed switch and easy to misjudge because that's where you hammer down to go through the clocks. Too early, and I spin. I really need more seat time with various course setups, but I'm finally to the point where I don't want to change anything.

1725907078132.png

When I have some time, I'll provide an update on my weekend at Moparty. For now, a couple highlights. The only tool that touched the car all weekend was a torque wrench to check lug nuts. I got 17 autocross runs, 3 drag passes that were hot laps, and 18 3S runs. I'd say I put this thing through it's paces. My front tires may be in the shape of an octagon now after the 3S. And the information many people have been curious about, including myself, 1/4 mile mph. As you know, MPH is related to the engine HP and using the weight of the car the HP can be calculated. This stock rotating assembly non-VVT 5.7, with some hand ported heads and a cam went 113MPH! This was also bouncing it off the limiter in every gear because I'm not used to the low 6500RPM limit I have on it. I bet it would keep pulling if I let it. For now, I'd like to keep those stock internals where they belong. For reference, my solid roller cam, aluminum head 408 went 111MPH. So I can finally say, yes, the hemi makes more power than the 408!

Last edited:

It's definitely something new that I like. Not sure tgat I'll go in search of them but I won't pass any up
Yeah yeah, that sounds super familiar. You will be searching for big brakes and 18" wheel before you know it. When you have it torn down this winter cutting the tunnel out, you might as well direct the cut off wheel towards the back for a mini tub job.

Yeah yeah, that sounds super familiar. You will be searching for big brakes and 18" wheel before you know it. When you have it torn down this winter cutting the tunnel out, you might as well direct the cut off wheel towards the back for a mini tub job.

And subframe connectors and torque boxes.

And subframe connectors and torque boxes.
@DionR I told him I was happy that I sold him the drug that is known as autocross and now he can't go back since he drank the kool aid. He proceeds to put those comments in AI to generate those photos. F-ing hilarious!

This car, Wade Koehl's Grandfather's Duster that Wade swapped a GEN III Hemi into and allowed me to drive, was involved in the design of the tti headers, and in these pictures raced in the Big Bend Open Road Race BBORR in West Texas, came in second in the 135MPH class in 2014 averaging 135.043MPH for the two way average 118 miles. This car had the Bergman Autocraft catalog of parts and was also raced on road courses. This car changed my entire POV on what to build, moving from a streetable, drag race, FAST Duster to what I have now. Go on YouTube and search for Wade Koehl to watch his videos of cruising at 150MPH plus! I'll be navigating in the BBORR 125MPH class next month with Kevin Alexander in his CL65, a bucket list item for me!

BBORR_Wade__2014.jpg
BBORR_Wade_2014.jpg
460517735_7567500786684913_5112362331307413559_n.jpg

Last edited:
This car, Wade Koehl's Grandfather's Duster that Wade swapped a GEN III Hemi into and allowed me to drive, was involved in the design of the tti headers, and in these pictures raced in the Big Bend Open Road Race BBORR in West Texas, came in second in the 135MPH class in 2014 averaging 135.043MPH for the two way average 118 miles. This car had the Bergman Autocraft catalog of parts and was also raced on road courses. This car changed my entire POV in what to build. Go on YouTube and search for Wade Koehl to watch his videos of cruising at 150MPH plus!

View attachment 1716305261View attachment 1716305262View attachment 1716305264

He's a member here, @Uhcoog1, but hasn't been on in a couple of years. His build thread is here.

He influenced me as well. Cool build.

That's (mini tub) next winter.. only so much time and money in a winter. I'm still pretty partial to my 15s..

-
Back